FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CVS master thread(2013-2016)
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:41 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
The problem is....if you leave ignorance unchecked it has a tendancy to spread and infect others. Investing a little bit of time and effort to enlighten them will often times ensure access to that store 24/7.
I agree with this.

I have combated this issue in a very simple manner:

I keep a receipt from a previous sale of VRs (or whatever) and bring it out and say, hey look, this cvs sold them to me as CC just the other day! Works every time.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
i think i akready said the assistant at my cvs is pretty ugly, and my time is too valuable to pass up on being able to do $15k a month in three trips. for your method its 30 and thats a lot of time

time is all relative too. As said these CVSs are on my way to everything and it is worth it for me. One CVS is next to two banks I use. the other where I get my hair cut, a third next to a supermarket I buy GCs at, and so on. The short stops, although up to 10 minutes long, are not deal killers.

now, yes, if it comes to pass that my thinking is too conservative on this matter and buying with ID scan poses no threat to my mile-ing, then I will adjust accordingly. After all as said before, I never minded stores collecting data on me--after all I think the scan method, if only used for store or government purposes, is probably better and more secure than the stupid book binder Walmart uses on some large MO purchases. What a mess that is, huh? I know many stores check ID--one grocery store I visit has to have you go to the service desk to let them records your ID and fill out a form for anything over $2k. It just feels funny in CVS... one day they are all concerned about fraud and yelling at people who dare try to buy more than $1k (I got reprimanded at a CVS last year for this in fact!) and now suddenly they can go to $5k?? Strange! Good in theory but real strange. Seems... too easy.

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
What assurances do we have from CVS that the info is safe or isnt being sold or shared? Of course the alternative is not to buy GC inexcess of 1k but as someone mentioned earlier, corporate came ah calln when they tried to do just that!
That's my point. I mean if supermarket X takes my data and enters into their system that's fine with me. But when CVS scans it... it just seems so darn easy for them to someday one day sell the data or give it to some entity that we didnt realize we signed up for, like bancorp. Again if it's the Govt combating fraud that's ok. I got nothing to hide (but of course, just because I WANT to stay anonymous on things also shouldnt suggest I do!) but where is this scanned massive database going really? Do we know yet? Can we call CVS and get a truthful answer? Why did they up the limit to $5k just for this? It is almost as if they are baiting us miles and points people because that's clearly all who ever would buy so many. Or am I high?