Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Is the $5k limit inclusive of the $3.95 purchase fee per card, or is it just the total load amount that is capped at $5k?
Activation fee does NOT count towards $5,000 limit.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Agreed. Also, if we can buy the 5k we need per bird, why go through the extra steps that cause additional scrutiny. We have a unique situation here since the gravy train took a turn for our favor. I'm not sure why we would ask cashiers to do things contrary to the policy. If the policy doesn't work the way CVS wants it to, they are likely to change it again and make it more strict.
Totally agree. Please folks, 5k per day is a VERY generous policy -- let's not abuse which could lead them to clamp down.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:12 pm

Anyone seeing the VR website be really slow? First time i've used it since the redesign but it's painfully slow.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Goldfishes
Anyone seeing the VR website be really slow? First time i've used it since the redesign but it's painfully slow.
Just wait till it will tell you that "your VR card has already been redeemed" to get your blood pressure really pumped up.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:34 pm

Haven't used the website since, I just call the automated system to load now.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
It's very slow and I had to refresh a couple of times.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:23 pm

VR issues

I'm trying to do 3,000 spend on my girlfriend's card (on which I'm authorized user with my own card). I usually only do $500 in VR at CVS but today I had to do 1,000 because the deadline is coming up. The ID was scanned at the register and then the clerk had to call Chase to have it verified.

I cancelled the purchase, but now I can't use the card at all anywhere. Anybody have any idea?

Weirdest thing too, when CVS cancelled the purchase it put a 1,000 dollar credit on my account. There was never any CVS purchase that went through, but there is a -1,000 CVS credit on the statement as a pending charge. I assume this will go away, but I've never seen anything like it. In fact, my pending charges balance is -$1,000.

Did this happen because the card isn't mine, I'm only an authorized user? I would assume my girlfriend's name is on the account, so when my ID was swiped something got alerted.

I need to make my Minimum spend by the 18th so any tips on what to do??
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:25 pm

Card is probably on a fraud alert.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NathanL104
I'm trying to do 3,000 spend on my girlfriend's card (on which I'm authorized user with my own card). I usually only do $500 in VR at CVS but today I had to do 1,000 because the deadline is coming up. The ID was scanned at the register and then the clerk had to call Chase to have it verified.

I cancelled the purchase, but now I can't use the card at all anywhere. Anybody have any idea?

Weirdest thing too, when CVS cancelled the purchase it put a 1,000 dollar credit on my account. There was never any CVS purchase that went through, but there is a -1,000 CVS credit on the statement as a pending charge. I assume this will go away, but I've never seen anything like it. In fact, my pending charges balance is -$1,000.

Did this happen because the card isn't mine, I'm only an authorized user? I would assume my girlfriend's name is on the account, so when my ID was swiped something got alerted.

The pending credit will go away in a few hours.

The ID swipe does not have anything to do with the bank - it just to show this ID is used to purchase the VR (and the ID matches the Name on the card which you have your own card in your name as an AU).

Did the cashier call? It is just to get an authorization when the cashier is prompted to call, not a decline. At least not yet.

Yes, for an AU to charge a much higher amount than the account owner could trigger a fraud alert. In fact, even the account owner charges an amount that the system deems high would trigger fraud alert. Nothing unusual.

The account owner should receive fraud alert phone call / text message / email whatever methods the owner chose to receive such alert. She needs to clear those with Chase before your card can be used again. Right now it is blocked.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:35 pm

the ID scan and call the # to authorize thing is wierd...

1st bean $1000, nothing
2nd bean thousand ID scan AND call to authorize
3rd bean thousand, ID scan.

all more than 24 apart.. havent tried more than $1000 in a day....
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:38 pm

2 closest cvs no stock for a while, went to 3rd closest and they had a nice stack. New icon on the front..mastercard repower with the "power" in red. Anyone else see these yet?

Other local stores have a $1k limit, I asked today at this 3rd store if it was still a $2k limit, and cashier said yes..lol Bought 4 beans on 2 cards .
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by theplayer
2 closest cvs no stock for a while, went to 3rd closest and they had a nice stack. New icon on the front..mastercard repower with the "power" in red. Anyone else see these yet?

Other local stores have a $1k limit, I asked today at this 3rd store if it was still a $2k limit, and cashier said yes..lol Bought 4 beans on 2 cards .
went to a store that i never go to as the ones near me were dry. The guy said we have a 2k limit - i told him thats ridiculous and to scan the rest of the 3k of beans. He said "Sir, its 2k" and the manager said the same.

Normally that is when i just buy the 2k and walk out but I just needed the beans badly, so i created a fuss and told him to call corporate and confirm/check their memos. 5 mins later the manager came back and apologized. I am now a happy owner of the beans i needed.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by NathanL104
Have your girlfriend call Chase to have them unblock the card. You could try calling Chase first, but they will probably want to talk to her if you are an AU. They will likely just confirm that she/you are still in possession of the card and that it was you that was trying to make that purchase. Not that big a deal. You should be able to use it again after the call.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: A bunch
There has been zero VR's at the 3 closest CVS to my house (milwaukee)! They have always been stocked, sometimes maybe one was sold out but now they all are! They all have the new Serve by Amex starter packs.

Fingers crossed they get the new VR cards in at some point!!!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:00 pm

Strange day today. Got DL scanned but the screen keeps saying "Validation in Process" for more than 30 seconds. Finally gave up and cancelled the transaction. Anyone experience same thing today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.