Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by pkerr
I hope YOU are not the person that has been hiding the VR's at my local CVS. When they were rearranging their card display, they found almost 200 of those babies hidden. No wonder they never reordered. The system still thought they had a bunch even though there was nothing in the usual place.
I was just in St. Louis over the weekend. I just mentioned this in case anyone else was travelling through and wanted to know the lay of the land. I'm trying to help here not $crew anyone over.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Similar thing happened to me recently. Wanted to make two separate purchases, with two different cards. Manager was up front, wouldn't let cashier ring up second purchase, citing one transaction per day "rule." Told her I was aware of $5k per day limit, happy to supply DL, etc., to no avail. She got pretty p.o.'ed when I said I would come back after her shift was over.
Someone should do a case study on power tripping by managers at these stores. There seems to be a finite number of personality types that end up being managers and their reactions to certain situations can easily be bucketed in a very limited number of outcomes.

Managers seem to very quickly forget that they are indeed still customer service representatives when dealing with customers.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by theplayer
2 closest cvs no stock for a while, went to 3rd closest and they had a nice stack. New icon on the front..mastercard repower with the "power" in red. Anyone else see these yet?
These have been around for a couple of weeks now

Originally Posted by tuphat
Given the flak* I have encountered from managers at my local CVS in buying VRs, I have concluded that card sales don't get counted in their store sales performance metrics. Otherwise, you'd think they'd be more cooperative.
That's correct -- they do not count toward sales numbers

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I.wanted to.know.if it is a corporate policy regarding only one transaction in 24 hrs
Not that I've heard of
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by turnpike13
Someone should do a case study on power tripping by managers at these stores. There seems to be a finite number of personality types that end up being managers and their reactions to certain situations can easily be bucketed in a very limited number of outcomes.

Managers seem to very quickly forget that they are indeed still customer service representatives when dealing with customers.
But, to be fair - the flip side is they'd be the first to be fired if GC or reloads were purchased fraudulently.

I bet their sales targets only take the fee portion as a sale but they get hit for the whole whack if they get a charge back from a stolen card used to buy $5k.

Flak is annoying but we have to take it in our stride.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rdover1
But, to be fair - the flip side is they'd be the first to be fired if GC or reloads were purchased fraudulently.

I bet their sales targets only take the fee portion as a sale but they get hit for the whole whack if they get a charge back from a stolen card used to buy $5k.

Flak is annoying but we have to take it in our stride.
The fraudulent charges probably are eaten by the banks.

However the store would have a ton of paperwork to go thru in dealing with the fraudulent charges and most likely would leave some form of records in the manager's employee file.

I dont blame the stores who chose NOT to carry the card - they dont have any obligation to do so. CVS corporation gives the store manager a lot of discretionary power on how to run their stores. Somehow people take it as their rights to buy the VR while in all reality it is more a privilege. A business can choose not to do business with a customer - this fact seems to be forgotten by many.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Smile

Originally Posted by Happy
The fraudulent charges probably are eaten by the banks.
Banks are smarter than that and these fall under "charge back" which the retailer has to eat. So not only do retailers have to stomach the credit fees (plus fees for even having credit card terminals) but they also carry all the risk from charge backs.

I dont blame the stores who chose NOT to carry the card - they dont have any obligation to do so. CVS corporation gives the store manager a lot of discretionary power on how to run their stores. Somehow people take it as their rights to buy the VR while in all reality it is more a privilege. A business can choose not to do business with a customer - this fact seems to be forgotten by many.
+1
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Stores should make it easy for customers to do business with them. If CVS makes it hard and a similar product shows up at Walgreens, then I will visit Walgreens instead. If CVS got rid of beans and made a mess of the process, I would also switch to a competitor. Businesses exist because they have customers.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Stores should make it easy for customers to do business with them. If CVS makes it hard and a similar product shows up at Walgreens, then I will visit Walgreens instead. If CVS got rid of beans and made a mess of the process, I would also switch to a competitor. Businesses exist because they have customers.
The inconvenient facts are:

1) CVS stores themselves dont make any money on these transactions. At least it does not show up on the store manager's P/L report - that has been reported multiple times in this thread. The decision to carry VR is from the Corporate but not a mandate. Store managers have full discretionary power to decide whether they want to carry it or not.

2) Walgreen codes this and many other reloads as Cash Only with very very very few exceptions across the whole country. So you are very welcome by CVS to go shop at Walgreen for your VR but you wouldn't be able to get any, not that with your CC.

3) There is really near non-existent alternatives for 90% of the VR buyers. For those who have alternatives, the alternatives are disappearing. Please check the latest thread about SuperAmerica is pulling VR from their stations.

4) Conclusion: CVS does not need you the VR buyer as its customer as you do not bring in the needed profit that a business exists for. Business does not need nonprofitable customers to exist Quite the contrary! they exist because they are in it to make a profit. Else, they would be in another name - that is called Non-Profit Organization, or Not-For-Profit Organization. Hey, IRS even has a category for such "business".

Now if you dont mind to pay $1 or $2 more to buy the reloads, you have some alternatives in a good portion of the country but still not everywhere. Take my area, there is only ONE grocery store chain, a very minor one, sells a no monthly fee reload. One choice of GC for $5.95. All other options are either not working options or very hefty fee - activation + a $5.95 to $9.95 monthly fee accessed one day after activation. Oh, you wont be able to get the PIN UNTIL a permanent card being sent to you after you registered online - that is 5 to 7 days later. So you would be out $4.95 + $9.95 on this "alternative" versus the offerings at CVS which is truly the only game in town in my area.

But a good number of folks can get their reloads at grocery stores if they dont mind to pay the extra $1 per card but then they also must go to WM to load their BBs because only VR can be used to load BB online (ignore the new $100 debit card load because GC can trigger BB suspension.)

So from your high road, please advise the community on where to take our business should we be not happy with CVS?

Last edited by Happy; Oct 16, 2013 at 8:06 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:55 pm

The concerns regarding these prepaids has some validity. There are policies for managers to enforce but if I manager feels someone may be doing something illegal he has the right to refuse the sale.

It stinks but that is the case.

My local cvs was stocked again today. Unfortunately I am lacking VR liquidation techniques until the 1st of the month. have to stick to MP
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:27 pm

If CVS makes it hard and a similar product shows up at Walgreens, then I will visit Walgreens instead.
LOL. Who wouldn't? Any store that will be more beneficial will get my business. Just like I am currently visiting CVS instead of Walgreens because Walgreens has made it harder for me to buy a similar product. Another example is I never used to go to Walmart, but I'm there all the time now, heck I think all the employees there recognize me like "Norm!" walking into Cheers Bar if you remember that show. But if the situation changes there as it likely will some day I will go back to my Walmartless ways. :-)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:56 pm

get more than $5,000

would it be possible to circumvent the 5000 Limit by using two different IDs for example using a driver's license in the morning and then a passport at night?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by michael21
would it be possible to circumvent the 5000 Limit by using two different IDs for example using a driver's license in the morning and then a passport at night?
yes go for it.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:42 pm

Conclusion: CVS does not need you the VR buyer as its customer as you do not bring in the needed profit that a business exists for.
As I posted over a year ago, the reason CVS carries VR is simple - prescription drugs. The profit they take in from Rx dwarfs every other item they sell. Two years ago we purchased our Rx from Walgreens simply because it was the most convienent location. As soon as we started buying VR from CVS we transfered our Rx there. I am sure thousands of others have done the same.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by pkerr
I hope YOU are not the person that has been hiding the VR's at my local CVS.
Maybe we need a new saying.... instead of break, you hide it, you buy it!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Maybe we need a new saying.... instead of break, you hide it, you buy it!
Don't understand why anyone would think or accuse me of hiding VR's.

All I do is mention a store in the St Louis area that had lots of VR's and I get accused of hiding VR's. Me doest think thou protest too much. First time in St. Louis in my ENTIRE life and I get accused of hiding VR's.

Chill out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.