Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by StuckinKC
Stopped at cvs this am. One of my favorite checkers pointed out to me that cvs giving 5ECB with the purchase of two VISA cards. Shows a twenty five in the picture but I bought two $500 and got the five ecbs. Essentially paying five dollars for Visa cards totaling 1K. Not perfect, but brings the cost down just a bit.
I thought CVS was hard coded not to allow Visa/MC gift card purchases with a cc?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
I thought CVS was hard coded not to allow Visa/MC gift card purchases with a cc?
Why did you think that? We've been buying them for months with various CCs. Walgreen's doesn't allow it, but CVS does.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Why did you think that? We've been buying them for months with various CCs. Walgreen's doesn't allow it, but CVS does.
WG allows Visa/MC GC purchases using a CC. VRs are hard-coded in the register as unallowed, but Visa/MC GC purchases are fine. CVS does allow GC purchases with a CC as well, with the same $1k DL scan requirement as on VRs and other prepaid cards.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I'll go back later and buy 3 VRs, assuming the system doesn't crash again -- I'll load today's BB limit and then do the last 2 after midnight.
I went back to buy 3 more VRs and asked to buy 1 with my BA card and the other 2 with another CC, and they said fine, but it would have to be in one transaction. So I guess my CVS does have a new rule disallowing separate purchases. I've done separate purchases many times previously.

In any case, I have my BB loads for today and tomorrow.

Also, I forgot about my $2000 credit limit on the BA card, but the transaction was allowed. I went online afterwards and tried to pay off enough to bring the balance below $2000, but was not allowed to pay that much because most of the purchases are still pending. The payment limit was an odd amount that was $37.39 over the currently listed balance. Strange.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Ditto in the SF Bay Area. Tried twice, skunked twice. In the past when this has happened the attempts with the DL counted in the daily limit.

In itself an interesting data point as it suggests the DL database is national and not just regional.

The same happened to me in the Philadelphia area today. The cashier was able to ring up the cards separately without issue. Maybe we've all hit a lifetime limit with CVS.
Originally Posted by silver6054
Yes, I had a DL scan freeze today. They asked if I had bought others elsewhere that day (which I hadn't). Guess just a system glitch.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:17 pm

For some reason I thought one of the few options left was Vanilla Reloads and that the Visa/MC prepaid debits were hardcoded to take cash or debit only. I guess I hadn't been paying attention since VR supplies, at least until this month, had been plentiful.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Quote:

WG allows Visa/MC GC purchases using a CC. VRs are hard-coded in the register as unallowed, but Visa/MC GC purchases are fine. CVS does allow GC purchases with a CC as well, with the same $1k DL scan requirement as on VRs and other prepaid cards.
This maybe YMMV.
Walgreens here have signs "Gift Cards Debit or Cash Only". And ALL cards have yellow stickers saying the same.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not in my town.

WG here is debit or cash only on Visa/MC/AMEX and cash only on VR.

However I do suspect the register is only hard-coded cash only on VR and actually allow cc for the Visa/MC/AMEX. The difficult lies with the store actually is willing to try CC. Many moons ago one WG store manager allowed the cashier to try CC for an AMEX and it went right thru.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by lacuadra
This maybe YMMV.
Walgreens here have signs "Gift Cards Debit or Cash Only". And ALL cards have yellow stickers saying the same.
Originally Posted by Happy
Not in my town.

WG here is debit or cash only on Visa/MC/AMEX and cash only on VR.

However I do suspect the register is only hard-coded cash only on VR and actually allow cc for the Visa/MC/AMEX. The difficult lies with the store actually is willing to try CC. Many moons ago one WG store manager allowed the cashier to try CC for an AMEX and it went right thru.
That is why I said "WG allows". Individual stores may differ (and as we know, even individual cashiers may differ). But, it is not a hard-coded register block as it is with VR at WG. It is a "soft-coded" block (especially in your case Happy), to give it an analogous term.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:48 am

That is why I said "WG allows". Individual stores may differ (and as we know, even individual cashiers may differ). But, it is not a hard-coded register block as it is with VR at WG. It is a "soft-coded" block (especially in your case Happy), to give it an analogous term.
I can confirm WG registers allow GC purchases with CC.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:26 am

Still having issues with the DL scan at my CVS.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:45 am

For those with DL scan issues, a couple months back the cashiers started getting error messages when they scanned mine. They eventually figured out that my magnetic strip was not reading (probably worn from so many scans) and had success manually entering my DL#. Ever since then, I tell the checker in advance and goes much smoother.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:17 pm

Anyone having trouble with the id scan today at cvs? It appears the system may be down at least in NYC area. 2 stores I know of both hD the same problem and said they could not process and purchases today.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:14 pm

It seems like the DL scanning system is still down. You can do separate purchases or 2x $495. The fees are not counted, so you could technically do $500 and $499 without triggering the scan. I still offer my ID proactively, but most of the clerks know me by now.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:33 pm

It seems like the DL scanning system is still down. You can do separate purchases or 2x $495. The fees are not counted, so you could technically do $500 and $499 without triggering the scan. I still offer my ID proactively, but most of the clerks know me by now.
Yesterday, I had an issue with the DL scan. I was only allowed to purchase one VR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.