Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:45 pm

Data point here as well. DL scan locked up the register. Had to split as many purchases as I wanted. Better for us :-D
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Up and working this morning in SF Bay Area for me. 10 VR.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:18 pm

Got back into Chicago today - 6x $500 with DL scan no problem.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:23 pm

DL scan froze today. Split in two purchases, first one went through fine. Second purchase, my CC declined.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:31 pm

Are some of our DL numbers on a blacklist? Mine failed to go through this afternoon despite having not bought anything for last 2 days.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:37 pm

I have come across some new (strange) store policies. these are from 3 different stores:

1) they only want to do 500 max per transaction but will run 10 transactions for me in one visit.
2) $2k per day max
3) they wanted to split the 5k into 3 transactions to avoid having to fill out a "suspicious transactions report" (these were the manager's words when I pressed for info).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
I was told yesterday and today by a clerk and a supervisor, both of whom know me, that their stores got a new "tracking/scanning" program for DL scans. Both mentioned that the new program is buggy and needs to be reset a lot. I asked what the new program did differently and neither had any idea.

I have no idea if this is true, local, etc. They both happily allowed CC purchases, so no impact there. My DL went through on the first try at one store and on the second at the other store.

Just a data point.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by zenride
I can confirm WG registers allow GC purchases with CC.
Wait.... what?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
I was told yesterday and today by a clerk and a supervisor, both of whom know me, that their stores got a new "tracking/scanning" program for DL scans. Both mentioned that the new program is buggy and needs to be reset a lot. I asked what the new program did differently and neither had any idea.

I have no idea if this is true, local, etc. They both happily allowed CC purchases, so no impact there. My DL went through on the first try at one store and on the second at the other store.

Just a data point.
Great info, thanks for the post.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by mberlew
For those with DL scan issues, a couple months back the cashiers started getting error messages when they scanned mine. They eventually figured out that my magnetic strip was not reading (probably worn from so many scans) and had success manually entering my DL#. Ever since then, I tell the checker in advance and goes much smoother.
You may be on to something. I just tried for 2k at my 1 store where the software worked and it hung. Now that I think about it the clerk who usually is there always scans the barcode. The other clerk, and other stores tend to swipe. I will try tomorrow.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Wait.... what?
Give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.
But you must go expecting it to work.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
You may be on to something. I just tried for 2k at my 1 store where the software worked and it hung. Now that I think about it the clerk who usually is there always scans the barcode. The other clerk, and other stores tend to swipe. I will try tomorrow.
Please let us know how it works out. I did 2x $495 again tonight since some cashiers balk when the DL scan fails due to a system glitch. I did get the comment tonight, "What is up with these things?! You're like the third guy in here tonight buying $1000 of these." I said, "Yeah, it's always busy after the first of the month. "
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
Please let us know how it works out. I did 2x $495 again tonight since some cashiers balk when the DL scan fails due to a system glitch. I did get the comment tonight, "What is up with these things?! You're like the third guy in here tonight buying $1000 of these." I said, "Yeah, it's always busy after the first of the month. "
And to think "the first of the month" excitement used to be about getting government benefits. Regardless of what it means to you, we are all headed to Walmart.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Fales.... I just bought in the last 3 days here in San Diego 13K worth of beans with my CC's. Not too sure why the folks here in San Diego are having problems finding the beans....
Holy Smokes! Between you and Pinguy, I'm glad I'm in North County, or else I'd be running around like mad trying to find bird food. How was your SD trip? It can't be all bad with a pocketful of tasty vanilla beans.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TakeORF
Salem Road and Princess Anne Road CVS locations have always had plenty available and no issues purchasing with a CC. I've never tried doing more than $1K at a time, however.
Thanks....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.