Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I've seen this before with usage of Club Carlson cards (also issued by US Bank). I saw a receipt that was printed after swipe - "authorization code required". The cashier called, followed instructions and the system gave him authorization code. Then the purchase was cleared.
I've had this with Chase. Really annoying and can take 15+ minutes sometimes you have to get on the phone. Also CVS can call in to verify most/all CCs via one of those automated systems even if not prompted by the register if they want to. Some banks are quick some not as quick.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I've seen this before with usage of Club Carlson cards (also issued by US Bank). I saw a receipt that was printed after swipe - "authorization code required". The cashier called, followed instructions and the system gave him authorization code. Then the purchase was cleared.
I've used that exact card for about $15k on 6-8 of bean purchases at CVS never had that happen to me, including $5k last week.

FWIW, I've been a US Bank customer for 7 years though. Flexperks was my regular card for about 6 years (before I knew better!) although it isn't a terrible card.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:52 pm

My first shot at VR at CVS went as follows:
1) Find plenty of VR cards on kiosk rack in store (bad omen?)
2) Ask checkout girl to load with CC (concern registers on face, calls mgr.)
3) Waiting for mgr. to reply, I say, "why not just try and see if it goes thru?"
4) CG says, "Oh it will go through, but CVS stores have different policies and I might get in trouble." (she works at more than one CVS location?)
5) Mgr. says cash only (I leave with my toothpaste and greeting card, rejected and dejected)

On the way home I had to stop in Walgreens anyway, asked clerk if she could load VR with CC, she said let's see...yep, cash only.

All around
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
An interesting new thing happened to me at CVS today. I bought $1000 in VRs using a card I'd never used for this before, the USBank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa. The cashier asked for my ID as usual, but then she said she needed to call in to confirm the purchase with USBank. Apparently the register told her to do this. She called, listened to some prompts, keyed in something and then hung up, wrote something down on a piece of paper and finished the purchase. I guess my usage of this card never included a $1000 purchase before. This hasn't happened with any of the Chase, Citi and Barclays cards I've used there, including several new CCs.

I'm kind of wondering what additional information she had to put in to satisfy the bank.
No worries, it seems to be like an ID check/verification on steroids. I've had it happen with Chase, Barclays, and others. This isn't CVS specific either. It does take a few minutes so it is annoying. The cashiers hate the process too - the last time this came up with me, the cashier begged me to use a different card (I did) instead.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by dmattj
3) Waiting for mgr. to reply, I say, "why not just try and see if it goes thru?"
4) CG says, "Oh it will go through, but CVS stores have different policies and I might get in trouble." (she works at more than one CVS location?)
5) Mgr. says cash only (I leave with my toothpaste and greeting card, rejected and dejected)

On the way home I had to stop in Walgreens anyway, asked clerk if she could load VR with CC, she said let's see...yep, cash only.

All around
How about next cvs?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers

All around
FYI, 99%+ of Walgreens seem to be cash only.

As noted, try more CVS stores. Or the same one you went to when different manager/cashier are working. You will be surprised at the variability of these policies.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:16 pm

Are the Cards separate for each store, can WG card be used at CVS.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by upinair
you might look upthread, other have talked about stealing the unloaded cards from walgreens and loading them at cvs
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:30 pm

I work in real estate. Not all, but some, CVS leases pay about 3% of sales as additional rent when sales hit a certain point. For example, when sales are $4,600,000 the lease may say "Pay an additional 3% for all sales over $4,000,000." So CVS is required to pay $600,000 x .03 = $18,000 additional rent.

Some landlord somewhere is thanking us! Next time I see one for sale that has that clause I'll have to check if their are any FT'ers shopping there. Time for a kickback from this landlord LOL.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by upinair
maybe this is the real reason that CVS started scanning DL for purchase over 1000, so they can see whom is taking the reloads from one store to another
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
I work in real estate. Not all, but some, CVS leases pay about 3% of sales as additional rent when sales hit a certain point. For example, when sales are $4,600,000 the lease may say "Pay an additional 3% for all sales over $4,000,000." So CVS is required to pay $600,000 x .03 = $18,000 additional rent.
I highly doubt CVS codes gift card purchases as a sale. If that were true, someone using a CVS giftcard at the same store they purchased it from would be counted twice.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
Interesting.

But CVS must be making a bit of a profit, because why else would they increase the limit from $1k to $5k?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I went in today to buy $1000 of VRs, the clerk helpfully asked me if I wanted that split into separate transactions. I said "sure, why not." We then chatted and she said a previous customer asked her to do it that way. I assume it's to avoid the reporting requirements.

That said, I'm wondering if I should just try to buy several thousand at one time. I've avoiding doing this because my store managers have been a bit jittery about larger VR purchases (1 store only allows $500) and I think they will view it as "suspicious." I'm also worried how the credit card companies will react, particularly Citi. I would kind of expect a fraud alert to be triggered.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Kybosh's post bring up an interesting question - do you guys think CVS employees are buying tons of cards? They obviously know what is going on and they have the power to circumvent the system.
It's a low paying job and most might not have the credit to get the cards. BUT, there might be people who are willing to slide a clerk $20 or $50 bucks to be jerks to people and allow them to buy all the VRs. I had wondered about this one CVS by me, I can go in and they will have two racks of VR's, but wont sell them to me with a CC, and I'll go back in a day or two later and they are all gone.....
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

All around
Wallgreens are hard coded for cash, but CVS is not, and corporate policy over rides store policy, but the clerks do not know this and wont do anything to lose their jobs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.