Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by gatorboy
Same here, other than the obvious - $1K of VR plus fee is ok.
Several locations still allow more than $1K purchases near me. However, to not rock the boat, I just buy $1K (honestly because I sometimes forget which stores they are). On the other hand, one store has misinterpreted the supposed $1K limit that some stores enforce and will only sell me $1K including fees (so $992 + $8 fees).

Point is there is no consistency whatsoever, even in same store depending on cashier/manager. Can be irritating at times.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by farwest101
Several locations still allow more than $1K purchases near me. However, to not rock the boat, I just buy $1K (honestly because I sometimes forget which stores they are). On the other hand, one store has misinterpreted the supposed $1K limit that some stores enforce and will only sell me $1K including fees (so $992 + $8 fees).

Point is there is no consistency whatsoever, even in same store depending on cashier/manager. Can be irritating at times.
I've implemented my own rule where I don't buy more than $1k worth of VRs per store because in my experience the cashiers start to get very nervous when you spend more than that.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
i have been loading 4 cards, 1k each per transaction at the local CVS for 3 months now with no issues

a younger looking kid told me 'limit is 1k per day' .. i said 'fine, do i set then'

called the manager over... and i asked what for and he said 'you are trying to buy 4, maybe it is your lucky day' and i said "well, you said one pair, so just do the one pair'

manager came over and created this elaborate story about how the Boston PD was called not too long ago because there were 'issues' with beans & a stolen CC.

I smelled the big pile of bullcrap and left. walked 2 blocks to the next CVS and just did 2 cards, 1 k...

i'm going to try the store again during the week, see what they say
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, UA Gold, HH Lifetime DIA, WoH Globalist
In San Diego over the weekend and visited two CVS stores. Both were cash only.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: BA, UA, US, AA
I found a well-stocked CVS and bought 2 VR's last week with no questions from the clerk.
This week, different clerk and debit only.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by jools1006
I found a well-stocked CVS and bought 2 VR's last week with no questions from the clerk.
This week, different clerk and debit only.
Gosh. I hope "cash only" has not applied to all CVS stores yet. There is a CVS store with fully stocked VRs and it seems like I am the only one buying it.

Will check on the way to work to see if I can purchase any with a credit card.

Update just bought 1.5 k on two credit cards.

Last edited by metoo; Apr 9, 2013 at 8:48 am
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Would anyone mind doing me the favor or sending me a PM or just explaining here what the purpose of the $1k/day transactions is? It seems as if you load one card using another card, and then cash the second card out somehow.

I would love some details. Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Would anyone mind doing me the favor or sending me a PM or just explaining here what the purpose of the $1k/day transactions is? It seems as if you load one card using another card, and then cash the second card out somehow.

I would love some details. Thanks!
1k max per day from cvs
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:58 am

Local CVS has a sticker right on the register that states that prepaid cards are cash only. I've only purchased a couple of VRs, but no problems using a credit card.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by reader2580
Local CVS has a sticker right on the register that states that prepaid cards are cash only. I've only purchased a couple of VRs, but no problems using a credit card.
Most (not all) CVS' don't consider reloadable cards to be the same as prepaid cards. Thus the sticker (some of my stores have it too) doesn't usually apply. However, not all clerks seem to get this difference. Still a YMMV situation.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Most (not all) CVS' don't consider reloadable cards to be the same as prepaid cards. Thus the sticker (some of my stores have it too) doesn't usually apply. However, not all clerks seem to get this difference. Still a YMMV situation.
I've had this experience as well. I was able to buy onevanilla debit cards with CC to pay taxes.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:18 pm

I bought two VRs at CVS today with $496 on each. The cashier told me that he could only do one at a time, but still allowed me to buy both, just as separate transactions. No issues paying with a credit card.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:56 pm

CVS Story

$1K rule enforced. Drivers license actually photocopied. Clerk said there have been complaints of illegal money laundering. Wish I were making the kind of money I'd need to launder. Clerk looked at me like I was a drug dealer for asking to buy another $1000.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:30 pm

Newbie on Vanilla and BB. Bought my first Vanilla cards today, "My" CVS had quite a few on the rack, Like no one in our little burg knows what the are, including the CVS clerk. I took two, and put them on my CC, and 'coached' the clerk how to do it. $500 each. It went right through. I went on line, registered for BB, and after a phone call to the Philippines, find that I can't transfer funds until I get the real BB Plastic card in hand. No checks either. So now, I have, in my hand, two $500 Vanilla cards, and no place to move the funds. And tomorrow, I want to buy two more. And maybe two more the day after. Now for my Q, should I keep buying the Vanilla cards, and wait till I get the BB card, and try to transfer all $$ from the Vanillas, or hold off buying the Vanillas, until I know I can transfer the $$? I do have several CCs that I would like to 'massage' but I can see $5K in spend coming quite easily b/f I get the real BB card in hand. Thanks for any clarifications that might be forthcoming.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by cvasara
Newbie on Vanilla and BB. Bought my first Vanilla cards today, "My" CVS had quite a few on the rack, Like no one in our little burg knows what the are, including the CVS clerk. I took two, and put them on my CC, and 'coached' the clerk how to do it. $500 each. It went right through. I went on line, registered for BB, and after a phone call to the Philippines, find that I can't transfer funds until I get the real BB Plastic card in hand. No checks either. So now, I have, in my hand, two $500 Vanilla cards, and no place to move the funds. And tomorrow, I want to buy two more. And maybe two more the day after. Now for my Q, should I keep buying the Vanilla cards, and wait till I get the BB card, and try to transfer all $$ from the Vanillas, or hold off buying the Vanillas, until I know I can transfer the $$? I do have several CCs that I would like to 'massage' but I can see $5K in spend coming quite easily b/f I get the real BB card in hand. Thanks for any clarifications that might be forthcoming.

If there are tons of VRs sitting in your CVS, why buy all of them now before you even have your BB card? I'd just wait and buy them once I can load them on BB. If you have to meet spending within the next 7-10 days (usually takes about 7 days to get BB) then I might buy them beforehand. If not, then I'd just wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.