Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:21 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:52 am
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:28 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:52 am
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:40 pm

Such a Rude Rep at Cash Register Today

Just went to get OV cards at my local CVS in LA. I saw a new rep at the counter. I took 8 cards and she said they allow only $1K/Day.

I said, I took $5K here, then she is like, If you talk more, I will ask you cash for this? How rude? What's her problem if, I take ? I am paying for this right?

There was NO one else, except me and her. I thought of asking to speak to a Manager and Complain about this. Then just let her go.

After billing completed, she was talking to herself, like " See I will NOT even let you take even one from tomorrow". I kept quiet and came out.

Later, headed to WalGreens. At my store, sometimes they do allow 1K and sometimes they restrict 500 only (Depends on Cashier). The Cashier was sweet, she said, even though the system will allows 1K I can't do this, it's against policy. She said near my ears that, We will change our shift at 10:00 PM, come at that time and get one more.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Now that it's dead, we should post our go-to CVSs just for kicks and giggles. I'll start: Cupertino, Palo Alto (town and country).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:46 pm

Alameda, CA dead. Cashier informed me that they received the update 2 days ago.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=LWT3;22644779]My 2nd Citi Exec card just arrived today. I went straight to CVS and bought $5K. The clerk told me it would be cash only starting tomorrow.

Same here: 2nd Citi Exec card arrived late today. Went directly to CVS and picked up 10 VR. Front cashiers were busy so I went to the pharmacy. Cashier went to the pharmacist and I hear her mention cash and the memo. I said just try one. She did and said "you have to go to the front where the manager is". I remember reading about a message popping up about the customer being in front of you so I asked to see and told her it's asking if I am in front of you, not that I have to go to the front of the store. Anyway, the first one goes thru with cc. She rings up the next one and it goes thru. Then she takes the remaining 8 and starts ringing them up when an employee walks by and she asks if she can ring so much up and the employee says if it works, its ok. She scanned my DL. All worked - happy to get the Citi Exec spend done.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by newuser0
Just went to get OV cards at my local CVS in LA. I saw a new rep at the counter. I took 8 cards and she said they allow only $1K/Day.

I said, I took $5K here, then she is like, If you talk more, I will ask you cash for this? How rude? What's her problem if, I take ? I am paying for this right?

There was NO one else, except me and her. I thought of asking to speak to a Manager and Complain about this. Then just let her go.

After billing completed, she was talking to herself, like " See I will NOT even let you take even one from tomorrow". I kept quiet and came out.

Later, headed to WalGreens. At my store, sometimes they do allow 1K and sometimes they restrict 500 only (Depends on Cashier). The Cashier was sweet, she said, even though the system will allows 1K I can't do this, it's against policy. She said near my ears that, We will change our shift at 10:00 PM, come at that time and get one more.
um, if you got them with CC at WGs then you should count yourself lucky and don't worry about it. cut her some slack, she had probably just had a run in with FlightNurse.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300
And we wonder why good deals die. . .

Needs a little work on the MS social skills.
Or else work "on how to think big". No-one else was there. Big stash of OVs ready to go..... Can be activated with cash from the register, and then that cash can be taken as well... That's proper MS!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by AveApostle
um, if you got them with CC at WGs then you should count yourself lucky and don't worry about it. cut her some slack, she had probably just had a run in with FlightNurse.
My WG always allows me to use CC for OV. They will NOT let me to use this for Money Pak though.

The thing that frustrated me was, I drove 30 Min-One way to get this. Since, today was the last day.

Also there was a high traffic too and took 1.5 Hours. For this?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
Or else work "on how to think big". No-one else was there. Big stash of OVs ready to go..... Can be activated with cash from the register, and then that cash can be taken as well... That's proper MS!
How can I activate those myself?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300
And we wonder why good deals die. . .

Needs a little work on the MS social skills.
Sorry. I will try when she is NOT working there tomorrow
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: SW, UA, Alaska, Marriott
West LA and Santa Monica both hard-coded
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Domat
Can you guys imagine the uproar if we never got to see the memo or there was no memo. Just all of a sudden a register hard stop.
No, I can't because it was leaked intentionally just before the very end of the quarter, even though it had been planned well in advance. That caused a widespread panic and a subsequent shopping spree to give CVS that one last boost before they shut down the water main.

Can I prove it? Of course, not. They are not idiots, all those people we're playing games with.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:33 pm

I live in Chino Hills, CA. I tried buying a VR with a credit card and was asked to pay with cash only.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The cvs on glades near us1 in Boca ration Florida was taking cc as of 6:30pm today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.