Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andyandy
Jimminy Christmas, that didn't take long. Points off for no circles or arrows, though.

I can't imagine that VGCs will escape the axe for long, they are susceptible to the same "abuse" (from CVS's perspective) that VRs were. Odds are, we'll end up with an Office Depot-like situation in a month or so.

From the MR enthusiast's perspective, though, VGCs involve a bit more labor and risk to liquidate.

Andyandy
It doesn't appear that MSing had anything to do with VRs going to cash only, but rather was the result of a change in fees. Many of us have been using GCs for a long time, from multiple sources, so your belief really has no foundation, other than the fact that all deals die eventually.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aagiants
VR could be loaded the instant you bought them.

For gift cards you just hold onto the gift cards longer and also have to deal with getting a MO which isn't always a slam dunk. If you try to get a 5K MO people look at you like you're a drug dealer!
I don't know where you'd get a 5K MO. WM only goes to $1000, most grocery stores to $500.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:22 am

The memo my store had said cash only for "Vanilla VL $20-$500". Could that be referring to anything other then OV? I fear its days are numbered.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by zznoname
Yes. Very true.

But having said that, the Wiki could be stronger. Back, way back in the thread, I suggested "fixing" the Wiki, splitting the thread up between people, scouring for often asked questions, reformat the Wiki.

No takers. Too much work for one person. But the Wiki could be improved.

But, in the end, probably wouldn't matter. Our suggestions imploring people to read the current Wiki are regularly ignored.
Originally Posted by zznoname
Actually... Setting aside your manners, you're absolutely correct. If we're moving on to OV/VGC a new thread should begin with those strategies.

I guess "we people" have to decide what type of Wiki to develop.

Will it be a honest, comprehensive, step by step To Do list, or will the old guard return with snark and cryptic coding?

I'm in favor of helping people get ahead and sharing information. Because, for all the "secrets" this thread has harbored since inception, it's inevitable (helped by CC 100K) the word will get out, especially now since so many are introduced to MS. So, why not help people?

MS is a good thing, let people who want to learn, learn. The more that benefit, the better. Right? We do want to help each other, correct?

Ops! Take that back a bit about the Wiki. This is the CVS Master Thread, correct? So.. if CVS is accepting CC for OV/VGC, well....
Just look at what I bolded and pointed out.
You mentioned the wiki needing to be fixed, but took NO initiative to do it yourself.

You're just as bad as the noobies wanting to be spoon fed.
Just wanting someone to do the things for you.

I'm all for helping people, but I find it funny you would say it needed to be fixed. But wait for someone to fix it instead of doing it yourself.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f0xx
Just look at what I bolded and pointed out.
You mentioned the wiki needing to be fixed, but took NO initiative to do it yourself.

You're just as bad as the noobies wanting to be spoon fed.
Just wanting someone to do the things for you.

I'm all for helping people, but I find it funny you would say it needed to be fixed. But wait for someone to fix it instead of doing it yourself.
I don't think poster knew anyone could modify the Wiki.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 4, 2014 at 12:49 pm
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpongyBard
The memo my store had said cash only for "Vanilla VL $20-$500". Could that be referring to anything other then OV? I fear its days are numbered.
It refers to nothing as written, but there are also Vanilla gift cards and My Vanilla reloadable cards. It probably refers to the latter.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:31 am

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 8:51 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by mayday23
My Jewel-Osco just stopped accepting debit cards for MO within the last few days. Time for trips to Meyer now.
Is that a register hardcoded or just CSR denial?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:38 am

for those of you with the override code to allow VR purchases with CC, are you getting it with the regular cashier or did the manager have to do it for you?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crabbing
for those of you with the override code to allow VR purchases with CC, are you getting it with the regular cashier or did the manager have to do it for you?
There is no override code @ CVS
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I don't know where you'd get a 5K MO. WM only goes to $1000, most grocery stores to $500.
Buying is half the problem. Try depositing 1000 money orders into the same bank consistently.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LWT3
You're arguing that CVS's plan was to spur everyone to ramp up manufactured spending, because that ramp up will help profits, right before shutting down manufactured spending? If manufactured spending is great for CVS's profits, why are they shutting it down?
It's very bad for their profits, but a panic followed by a short-lived shopping spree is very good for corporate reports. Companies have done crazier things to please their investors. In my opinion, and I can be wrong of course, the ruthless efficiency with which they shut down the system nationwide in just 4 days, could not have been achieved if it hadn't been planned and worked on well in advance.

And then the memo leaked. Two birds with one stone.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cabby
Buying is half the problem. Try depositing 1000 money orders into the same bank consistently.
I do. Every day this week so far (not Sunday -- they're not open). I've been doing it for months now, although the current deposit level is higher.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
It's very bad for their profits, but a panic followed by a short-lived shopping spree is very good for corporate reports. Companies have done crazier things to please their investors. In my opinion, and I can be wrong of course, the ruthless efficiency with which they shut down the system nationwide in just 4 days, could not have been achieved if it hadn't been planned and worked on well in advance.

And then the memo leaked. Two birds with one stone.
I think you give too much credit to cvs. I do not believe they could have forseen the "panic" buying thus did not plan this for some end of quarter "boost."

Also alot of buying into the next quarter (April 1 ....) occurred. Which in affect pulled future "demand" forward which would just result in a slump next quarter. And the future "demand" will be 0 because of the cash only policy.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I haven't seen one instance a person buying VR at CVS 4/4/14. Is it the consensus that CVS has been 100% successful in implementing cash only throughout their system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.