Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: Several dozen
Perhaps Jim Morrison was right. But then many a dead deal has risen back up faster than that bad burrito I had for lunch. Think I will start collecting pudding cups and talk to some Thai rice farmers...

Originally Posted by aGeist
Das ist das Ende!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Can confirm 2000 limit in East Bay, CA
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:55 pm

I bought 2K of OV at lunch today from CVS. The register only prompted for my ID at $1000, not after 300. So the new limit does not seem to be in effect where I live [yet].

I asked the cashier and the manager stocking the gift card racks if they had heard anything about new limits. Neither one had. The manager said that there would be new "training" if the limits changed, but she knew nothing about training or recent memos.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Daily limit - Per store, Per Region, or Chain-wide?

Is the daily limit (either the Current/old limit of $5k or new/soon-to-be limit of $2k) based on Store, Region, or is it chain-wide?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it with a search nor do I recall reading it in the last several hundred posts. I've been subscribed to this thread for a few months, but frankly never paid attention to the limit because $5k is more than I want/need (typically do $3k-$4k / trip).

I would Try It And Find Out but my OBC is at its limit for the next 48 hours pending payment...

Gloob
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheGreatMongo
once this goes full effect, everyone's ms game will be hit hard. gonna be difficult to pull any type of volume now, especially with the $300 limit on id scan.

is this ms game crumbling before our very eyes?
Nope, plenty of other avenues.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gloobnib
Is the daily limit (either the Current/old limit of $5k or new/soon-to-be limit of $2k) based on Store, Region, or is it chain-wide?
We're all in the process of finding that out. My best guess is that this is a progressive roll out. Much like with VRs, where some stores were hard coded a week or two before the final stores got closed down.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:31 pm

Hope I don't start getting Fraud Alerts when I stop in at CVS, Rite-Aid and Walgreens all within an hour.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
We're all in the process of finding that out. My best guess is that this is a progressive roll out. Much like with VRs, where some stores were hard coded a week or two before the final stores got closed down.
Understood. To clarify, I'm not asking when the new limits are rolling out. I'm asking if the CVS computers are tied together across multiple stores / regions / chain-wide to police the "$x per day per DL" limits. We can't know for sure what the future behavior will be with the $2k/day limit, but we can draw strong inferences based upon the previous/existing $5k day limit.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Better yet, my register was hardcoded to $2,000 but gave an error message that I had exceed $5,000 in purchases for the day. That made for a lot of staff confusion.
This happened to me on Saturday, but I luckily had the really smart cashier. She knew that was wrong since she hadn't seen me since Thursday , so she canceled the transaction and re-scanned the cards with no issue. In my case, this was immediately after my SO had bought $2k in cards, so I wondered if there is some sort of velocity limit on the register. Or maybe it was just a hiccup.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:28 pm

Along with the $2k limit, the limit seems to be $2k per rolling 24 hours rather than per calendar day. I purchased $2k yesterday afternoon and tried again today at lunch and the register refused to process any of my cards.

I'm friendly with the manager and he confirmed the 24 hour limit rather than calendar day.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Along with the $2k limit, the limit seems to be $2k per rolling 24 hours rather than per calendar day. I purchased $2k yesterday afternoon and tried again today at lunch and the register refused to process any of my cards.

I'm friendly with the manager and he confirmed the 24 hour limit rather than calendar day.
Here is DFW seems like the limit is now $2K a day, but I can confirm this morning when I bought a single OV, that my DL was not scanned.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW

Correct me if i'm wrong but its always been a 24 hour rotating limit.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by gloobnib
Understood. To clarify, I'm not asking when the new limits are rolling out. I'm asking if the CVS computers are tied together across multiple stores / regions / chain-wide to police the "$x per day per DL" limits. We can't know for sure what the future behavior will be with the $2k/day limit, but we can draw strong inferences based upon the previous/existing $5k day limit.
Based on the previous $5k day limit the systems are tied together. If it's by city, state or nationwide i don't know but i can confirm at least locally they are.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:32 pm

So, this is probably a lame question, but if I am able to purchase the GC's, how then do I cash out? Used to pay rent w/Bluebird checks, but not sure that walmart does that anymore...what are your secrets? I haven't tried this in a while, but have another round of CC apps to do and want to make sure I can meet all the spends...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lavenchi
Based on the previous $5k day limit the systems are tied together. If it's by city, state or nationwide i don't know but i can confirm at least locally they are.
TY. I travel a lot, so I may just try to see if I can get away with buying $2K in Indy, then flying to DC, VA, or MI to buy another $2K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.