Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HGF
I just tried buying some VRs at a CVS near my office using the self-checkout and they were hardcoded for cash only. I'm going to try going up to the counter during the afternoon rush when it is really busy to see if I have any luck there
Awesome, keep trying!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Why? This was shutdown quite a while ago.
Or was it.....

JK JK. In all seriousness, it does not hurt to retry methods that have previously failed. After all, at one point OV completely stopped working at WM, does that mean no one should have ever tried again? Im all for retesting methods if it can be done discretely, which is exactly what he did. Not sure why hes posting about it here though since it just makes him look a little silly for trying, but hey, to each their own.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:54 am

Can you just go to an atm to liquidate the temp serve cards ( and fees? ), or do you have to go another route?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by buruch
Can you just go to an atm to liquidate the temp serve cards ( and fees? ), or do you have to go another route?
Nope
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
On a matter leftover from yesterday, I purchased PPMC with CC today, no problems. The guy also showed me his screen. Cashiers see a screen that asks for the last four of the CC to verify purchase. That's it.
I went to my regular location a few days ago and it seemed to have been hard coded for cash only. I visited another store nearby and they accepted cc so it seems to be limited to certain stores. This is not a good sign.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by phatjoe
I went to my regular location a few days ago and it seemed to have been hard coded for cash only. I visited another store nearby and they accepted cc so it seems to be limited to certain stores. This is not a good sign.
I had a similar experience with a cvs down the street. New cashier freaked out because she received a message on her screen. Previously, the message was "does the individual have the card with them, are they aware it cannot be returned" and so forth. They press yes, the next screen is enter the last 4 digits of the CC.

This time when the cashier received the message, people were lining up at the same time and she didn't want to "make a mistake" at her new job. So she rejected it, claiming cash only. That was easier than risking a mistake. A

A guy at a different cvs practically screamed at me "YOU CANT BUY THOSE WITH A CREDIT CARD!" So I left and came back on the next shift and bought 1k, no issues.

For my area, is a continuation of YMMV.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:51 pm

Had an interesting experience today with a new cashier at CV S when purchasing two OVs. This was her first time handling the sale of a gift card. She had difficulty scanning the gift cards and had to call a manager. There were a few others waiting in line behind me, so I suggested that she may want to ring them up before processing my order.

While waiting for the manager, I told her that I know that there are a lot of rules related to the sale of gift cards and that it was good that she was checking with the manager to make sure she was doing things appropriately. Before the next person in line could step forward, the manager appeared at the counter and assisted the cashier in scanning the gift cards and entering the relevant information.

The cashier tried to scan one card twice and the register rejected it. After she was able to successfully scan the second card, she mistakenly entered the wrong amount ($50 instead of $500). Fortunately, the manager caught the mistake and voided the transaction for the second gift card.

I was cheerful throughout the whole process and had my drivers license ready, knowing that the cashier would need to scan it. Before the transaction was approved, the cashier had to enter the last four number of my credit card. I coached her through the process, as the manager had departed by that time.

The cashier was friendly throughout the process, didn't get flustered, and viewed the situation as a learning experience. I enjoyed having the opportunity to help with some on the job training for the new cashier and believe that she will likely be amenable to future transactions because of the pleasant experience involved with her first gift card transaction.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kharlamov
Had an interesting experience today with a new cashier at CV S when purchasing two OVs. This was her first time handling the sale of a gift card. She had difficulty scanning the gift cards and had to call a manager. There were a few others waiting in line behind me, so I suggested that she may want to ring them up before processing my order.

While waiting for the manager, I told her that I know that there are a lot of rules related to the sale of gift cards and that it was good that she was checking with the manager to make sure she was doing things appropriately. Before the next person in line could step forward, the manager appeared at the counter and assisted the cashier in scanning the gift cards and entering the relevant information.

The cashier tried to scan one card twice and the register rejected it. After she was able to successfully scan the second card, she mistakenly entered the wrong amount ($50 instead of $500). Fortunately, the manager caught the mistake and voided the transaction for the second gift card.

I was cheerful throughout the whole process and had my drivers license ready, knowing that the cashier would need to scan it. Before the transaction was approved, the cashier had to enter the last four number of my credit card. I coached her through the process, as the manager had departed by that time.

The cashier was friendly throughout the process, didn't get flustered, and viewed the situation as a learning experience. I enjoyed having the opportunity to help with some on the job training for the new cashier and believe that she will likely be amenable to future transactions because of the pleasant experience involved with her first gift card transaction.
Don't you realize that it's people like you that are destroying MS for all the rest of us ?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: All
Originally Posted by kharlamov

You were supposed to demand to see written store rules, cite visa/mc policy, quote federal law, and threaten to call the UN Council on Gift Cards unless she just activated the cards and gave them to you in exchange for the lint in your pockets.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: Several dozen
As I am fond of saying, there are only three certainties in life - death, taxes and that internal controls degrade over time. There have been enough dead deals that came back to life to create a zombie apocalypse.

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Or was it.....

JK JK. In all seriousness, it does not hurt to retry methods that have previously failed. After all, at one point OV completely stopped working at WM, does that mean no one should have ever tried again? Im all for retesting methods if it can be done discretely, which is exactly what he did. Not sure why hes posting about it here though since it just makes him look a little silly for trying, but hey, to each their own.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:45 pm
HGF

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
As I am fond of saying, there are only three certainties in life - death, taxes and that internal controls degrade over time. There have been enough dead deals that came back to life to create a zombie apocalypse.
I went to 5 different locations. 1 location I was told cash only as I handed her the card. The other 3 were hard coded into the system and the cashiers had no knowledge. The last location was either sold out or they no longer carry them. I'll have to try back every day for the next week or 2 at that last location.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Saw a memo today at CVS that new limit starting 10/27 will be $2K a day for all prepaid items. This wasn't like the last memo where there were SKUs that were excluded, etc. Didn't have a region mentioned so it could be national. Anyone else see it?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Saw a memo today at CVS that new limit starting 10/27 will be $2K a day for all prepaid items. This wasn't like the last memo where there were SKUs that were excluded, etc. Didn't have a region mentioned so it could be national. Anyone else see it?
Never heard of that memo. So you saw an actual paper? What region are you in?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:04 pm

I assume temp Serve cards can't be bought with CC right? I thought in September I saw reports of some people able to buy the temp Serve cards on CC.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Never heard of that memo. So you saw an actual paper? What region are you in?
Yeah, got to glance at the actual memo. In the Cincinnati area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.