Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by gloobnib
I had this happen to me for the first time last night. Bought 4 OVs at CVS and one of the 4 said "ACCEPTED PREPAID CARD ACTIVATION WILL OCCUR WITHIN 24 HOURS" (all caps on the receipt).

It has now been 29 hours and still no activation. Any suggestions? Should I give it another night, or call OV right away?
I wound up having to call them. Getting it resolved over the phone was (relatively) painless; the process is outlined in this blog post:

it-could-happen-to-you-improperly-activated-onevanilla-cards

Basically: call, open ticket, give personal info, give purchase info, then send in supporting documentation (DL scan, receipt scan). Took about 72 hours from the time I called until the money was on my card.

OV CSR was a bit skeptical re: why I was buying four OVs with the same amount in one transaction from CVS. I conveniently ignored his question along the lines with "why would you do that?" and replied with "So how do we get this fixed?".

Gloob
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: straight cash homey
Like a few others, I had one of those OV cards print out and say, "Card will be activated within 24 hours." Of course, it did not. I chose to go the return to CVS route - they all know me and what I do. After a chat with the manager, it was extremely easy to refund my $.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:53 am

Fee free Amex

Preview ad for CVS shows "$0 purchase charge on Amex Gift Cards. Savings of $3.95-$6.95" from 11/23-11/26.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:10 am

Any success buying OV GCs without locking up the register with an ID scan? Tried twice yesterday and both times locked it up....
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by yenner
Any success buying OV GCs without locking up the register with an ID scan? Tried twice yesterday and both times locked it up....
I guess ppl don't read previous posts. You need to have the cashier slide the ID card on their POS machine right where the screen is...not scan the ID as if its an item. That is where lock up comes in.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:26 am

According to the paypal thread, have the cashier swipe the id on the register or enter it manually instead of using the handheld scanner
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by brn4
According to the paypal thread, have the cashier swipe the id on the register or enter it manually instead of using the handheld scanner
Is everyone having this issue? Or rather, has anyone had success in the last week with buying 4 OVs without issue?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by gloobnib
Is everyone having this issue? Or rather, has anyone had success in the last week with buying 4 OVs without issue?
Gloobnib,

I have read previous posts... problem is as of yesterday, there is no way to slide the DL, they can only scan on the register....I should have been clearer on my post. The cashier showed me the screen, no button or anything happened when they swiped.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:10 am

Gloobnib,

I have read previous posts... problem is as of yesterday, there is no way to slide the DL, they can only scan on the register....I should have been clearer on my post. The cashier showed me the screen, no button or anything happened when they swiped.
On Thursday it didn't work on first try, and went through on 2nd.
Today it didn't work after 2 tries and cashier gave up. He said they've been having regional problems (philly area).
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:10 am
Suspended

The solution for CVS has been mentioned more than once. There's no reason for anyone to still be having problems there.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Stoughton
The solution for CVS has been mentioned more than once. There's no reason for anyone to still be having problems there.
You should read the responses. They're saying that there's no way to swipe an ID. Cashier can only scan it. I suppose cashier can also manually key it in, so that should fix the issue.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
You should read the responses. They're saying that there's no way to swipe an ID. Cashier can only scan it. I suppose cashier can also manually key it in, so that should fix the issue.
EXACTLY! There was no way to swipe and the cashier nor manager could enter in the info manually. Either I got unlucky or the latest update is CVS' effort to crack down on MS.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
EXACTLY! There was no way to swipe and the cashier nor manager could enter in the info manually. Either I got unlucky or the latest update is CVS' effort to crack down on MS.
I never said that swiping the card was the solution and every cashier or manager can enter it manually. If they claim otherwise, they just don't know how (or don't want) to do it.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 pm

When an easy frazzled cashier tried to scan the card, it locked up the machine completely.
But with my regular cashiers, they both swiped the card. It still had errors and said to wait again in a few minutes.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
When an easy frazzled cashier tried to scan the card, it locked up the machine completely.
But with my regular cashiers, they both swiped the card. It still had errors and said to wait again in a few minutes.
Bought 4x OVs last night and cashier scanned my DL. No lock-up. Possibly a regional thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.