Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Unitedsux
does your receipt indicate the cards as "activated"?
Receipt says card not activated.
And kisko promoted me to slide credit card for refund.

Looks like this might be one off issue as others didn't had this problem.
I guess I will try today again.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by easygoing77
Receipt says card not activated.
And kisko promoted me to slide credit card for refund.

Looks like this might be one off issue as others didn't had this problem.
I guess I will try today again.
I had the same problem yesterday at the same time, 2 posts above yours. My 2K charge is sitting as pending, but the reversal hasn't shown nor has the line released. I am giving it a day before I go again because I don't want to trip up anything at chase and only have one card I am working on at the moment until reinforcements show up in the mail.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I have been able to by more then 5K in one day, the secert really is not have one's ID scanned. I have a couple of CVS's I can buy from. Why would anyone want to do 1K purchase at a time and have ones ID scanned?
I did an experiment. I just renewed my DL. At first I gave the old one to see if I could use both at different stores. Immediately rejected for "Expired".
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by dunderball
I'm in New York City and haven't been able to find any VRs at any CVS's in the last month or so.
One of my local stores had been dry for a month until this morning (9 cards just sitting out on the rack). Another one nearby was temporarily filling in during the void, but it too went dry two weeks ago. Perhaps another return visit is in order.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:04 pm

Does anyone use their Citi Thank You Preferred card when buying the VRs?

Every single time when I swipe my card at the self swipe touch pad, it gives me a message saying "Another form of payment required". Then when I ask the cashier to try to swipe my card on their register, it works fine.

So far I've been able t convince the cashier that it's something wrong with the card, and not that it should be a cash only purchase. However, I'm worried that one of these days I'll get rejected for no reason.

Just trying to figure out why it doesn't work the first time. None of my other cards give that message.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:53 pm

Just now easing back into buying beans since CGC's served all my needs for my initial months of MS. For data point, I'm on vacation and had no problems at all with 2 cee-vee-ess purchases in Santa Fe today. $950 each store (2 x 475). I'm just trying to stay under the radar a little bit); plus i mix in some sundry pharmacy items so not a round number.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roneyc
$950 each store (2 x 475). I'm just trying to stay under the radar a little bit); plus i mix in some sundry pharmacy items so not a round number.
No need for the extra items,theres the $3.95 fee , so the purchase wont be a round # but $478.95 per transaction. I too wanted to have different amounts but its extremely hard to find anything at these stores that I cant get elsewhere for alot less
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
I had the same problem yesterday at the same time, 2 posts above yours. My 2K charge is sitting as pending, but the reversal hasn't shown nor has the line released. I am giving it a day before I go again because I don't want to trip up anything at chase and only have one card I am working on at the moment until reinforcements show up in the mail.
Relax. The same thing happened to me. It took 2 business days (maybe 3) for the reversal to post. If you do a search on the Internet, you will see that reversals do not post immediately.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by craz
No need for the extra items,theres the $3.95 fee , so the purchase wont be a round # but $478.95 per transaction. I too wanted to have different amounts but its extremely hard to find anything at these stores that I cant get elsewhere for alot less
i just buy candy on sale and give to the kids. buy 2 get 1 free right now for candy at the register. decent price. buy 1 get 1 free gatorade deals are decent too.

still no beans at the my local cvs. manager said he heard they are out of them for good. I can still get visa gc there though. so, better than nothing.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Store near my current location that was out this past weekend, then had a few VRs earlier in the week was fully stocked this morning.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by NewNole2001
Store near my current location that was out this past weekend, then had a few VRs earlier in the week was fully stocked this morning.
Any one having any luck in the Boston Area?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
anyone able to confirm if 5k limit is rolling 24 hrs or calendar day?
(for all smart pants, i know i can find it by trying, looking for if someone has experienced so dont take the trouble with nasty responses)
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by oohaahouch
anyone able to confirm if 5k limit is rolling 24 hrs or calendar day?
(for all smart pants, i know i can find it by trying, looking for if someone has experienced so dont take the trouble with nasty responses)
Rolling 24 hours
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Rolling 24 hours
BIG thanks BOSman
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
After reading some people were able to find VRs, i went and tried 5 CVS near my place in Boston and nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.