Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
For those that haven't seen them stocked, did your store have the newer versions of the cards before the stock ran out?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Love and Ben, I thought I saw someone post that BB got mad at them for draining GCs online and told them to knock it off. Just an fyi...
Heh...I just had an interesting experience with BB from linking my debit GCs. Posted here so as not to derail.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by BenH
Heh...I just had an interesting experience with BB from linking my debit GCs. Posted here so as not to derail.
Was your MetaBank "Debit" card issued in your name or you purchased it some place? Your quote clearly states, "valid debit card(s) ("Debit Card") issued in the Member's name." Your justification of "valid as any other debit card" is not the same as issued in your name.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Are we all in the same area having this issue? So far the problem appears to be in the southeast and in the Boston area.
Just at my local cvs here in Cincinnati no vanilla reloads for at least a week. The manager called all local Cvs stores no VRs anywhere. One manager he spoke to said there were no more coming. I sure hope this is not corporate policy
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:01 pm

had a whirlwind of local stores today - it was actually kind of fun. The most fun was hearing the poor logic of why cashiers at stores that allow prepaid cards to be purchased with CCs deny the purchase. I was nice and just said "oh, sorry, was looking to buy it as a gift for my sister-in-law's baby shower" which is actually this weekend The best was someone in 7-11 telling me that I cannot by a vanilla reload with my credit card because the credit card could be stolen. I then asked her to verify my signature, etc. She seemed taken aback and just stated only cash. I said "ok, megamillions quick pick" and moved on.

Now onto CVS. my second to last stop of the day and a decent one. Local CVS manager stated the only ones that he will allow me to purchase with a credit card are the vanilla gift cards - no other cards. They are out of vanilla reloads but had a ton of other variations. Is this what everyone else is getting at cvs? I am not complaining, I can just keep buying these bad boys but was curious - are you guys only being allowed to buy the vanilla gift cards as well (4.95 purchase charge, vanillavisa.com cards) (so many different ones it gets confusing). Anyway, this was my first non-chase gc MS so I figured I would just buy one and make sure I was getting the correct one.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Originally Posted by aeneas3
They are out of vanilla reloads but had a ton of other variations. Is this what everyone else is getting at cvs? I am not complaining,
Most of the people here buy vanillareload.com/ as this is the easiest to unload. Buy -> load BB -> pay off bills. I would (read: do not) not get any other variation but there are threads on the other vanilla cards that can show you how to utilize these cards.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by daprophecy
Most of the people here buy vanillareload.com/ as this is the easiest to unload. Buy -> load BB -> pay off bills. I would (read: do not) not get any other variation but there are threads on the other vanilla cards that can show you how to utilize these cards.
thanks, will have to look at the other cards offered at that cvs to see what is available as well. Was just happy after a day of searching to find something I know I can unload the one I purchased.
My bluejay will be missing its chase feed soon
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:45 pm

i'm in NC. my favorite cashier told me as soon as i walked in the store that they've been out of reloads for about 2.5 weeks now and so have all the nearby stores (just haven't been stocked). she has no idea when the situation will change but told me they tend to get stocked on mondays, so to check then

Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:47 pm

Seems to be around the same timeframe everywhere VR's have been oos.. I'm curious if other places are getting restocked (7-11, FF, etc..)
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by bluerunningsocks
Seems to be around the same timeframe everywhere VR's have been oos.. I'm curious if other places are getting restocked (7-11, FF, etc..)
In NYC (specifically Manhattan) and nearby NJ areas that I travel, other stores like -4 are getting restocked (and 2 CVS stores have recently been fully restocked with 2 full rows). However, as everyone is aware -4 is a cash only policy.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Went to a CVS by my house in NH where I have never once had a problem buying them...and there were none. This one was 24 hours so I will try some of the other locations tomorrow when they open. Bummer.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:48 pm

I am in Nashua NH. I can confirm that one CVS on Daniel Webster Hwy and the other CVS on Amherst both are out of VRs. Sad!

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Went to a CVS by my house in NH where I have never once had a problem buying them...and there were none. This one was 24 hours so I will try some of the other locations tomorrow when they open. Bummer.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA, USAir
I am in North Texas and all of them that I have been to recently have been in good stock.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:49 pm

oh geez, will some of you please scroll back to 3rd/4th of week august posts, you'll see complaining about being out of stock as we see now and every second half of the month. only difference is now stores run out even faster because BB is getting more popular and there's more mouths to feed.

As more and more people join the game, more and more metro areas will quickly become as barren as the bay area. this is inevitable.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by turnpike13
oh geez, will some of you please scroll back to 3rd/4th of week august posts, you'll see complaining about being out of stock as we see now and every second half of the month. only difference is now stores run out even faster because BB is getting more popular and there's more mouths to feed.

As more and more people join the game, more and more metro areas will quickly become as barren as the bay area. this is inevitable.
I'm not in a metro area and this is the first time, ever, that I've had trouble finding stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.