Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jyx
I was going to buy 3 VRs in one transaction at one CVS store. However, it seemed that the system didn't allow it (after my ID was scanned, etc..). I had to buy one after another. Did anyone have similar experiences?
I was buying 2k and after the last DL scan and processing they had to void it and ring them up each by itself, then I went back about 30 minutes later and did one full transaction for $1k and it worked fine.

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I usually buy 2 to 4 cards, many times on two CCs. Today the ID check didn't work -- it kept timing out after the scan of my DL. The clerk instead rang up each VR and GC separately, with the manager right there. Made me kind of nervous, but no problems.
see above. no reason to be nervous.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac921ol
I was buying 2k and after the last DL scan and processing they had to void it and ring them up each by itself, then I went back about 30 minutes later and did one full transaction for $1k and it worked fine.

see above. no reason to be nervous.
I was nervous about the manager getting involved and nixing the whole complex transaction, not the process itself.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:25 pm

I've not bought VRs since OD. No CVSs around here. Any problems in the downtown Philadelphia area CVSs? Gonna be there in a couple weeks.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by emax48
I've not bought VRs since OD. No CVSs around here. Any problems in the downtown Philadelphia area CVSs? Gonna be there in a couple weeks.
I have no experience downtown, but almost all of the CVSs in the surrounding suburbs have been pretty good about selling with a credit card.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by emax48
No problems last time I was there buying.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jyx
I was going to buy 3 VRs in one transaction at one CVS store. However, it seemed that the system didn't allow it (after my ID was scanned, etc..). I had to buy one after another. Did anyone have similar experiences?
recently i read the HH people ms 1mil a month so i decided to be HH also. i approached the CVS clerk with 2000 VRs, but after we got to the 10th or 11th, some stupid receipt popped out the printer telling me I buy too much and to come back tomorrow. straight up bummer man. at this rate it will take me 200 days or in other words 6.66 months (satannnn) to generate 1mil ms. it is an insurmountable goal!!
pic attached, what a bs receipt i was thinking it was a coupon imagine my dismay!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Oh, you troll you!

Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
recently i read the HH people ms 1mil a month so i decided to be HH also. i approached the CVS clerk with 2000 VRs, but after we got to the 10th or 11th, some stupid receipt popped out the printer telling me I buy too much and to come back tomorrow. straight up bummer man. at this rate it will take me 200 days or in other words 6.66 months (satannnn) to generate 1mil ms. it is an insurmountable goal!!
pic attached, what a bs receipt i was thinking it was a coupon imagine my dismay!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ddallas
I've had that happen. Waited a couple days and it cleared. Don't know why. A couple others have reported it too. My theory is it is either something in CVS system that maintains the block for the rest of the day or the US rep on the phone is not hitting the right keys. No problem since.
Oh, I'm not. It wasn't the flagging that prompted me to post, it was the inability to key in the card number manually. In case anyone else ever ran into a similar issue.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by rdover1
Oh, you troll you!
^
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: Far too many
Originally Posted by concordian
At my local CVS, a new cashier wanted manager to confirm buying with Amex Gift Card was allowed. He said its not allowed and limit is 1k/day. I tried with same GC and hit credit button on payment screen. I was able to buy 4 VC's in 2 separate transactions.
Did CVS allow a beans purchase with an amex gc?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:34 am

Just got back tonight from Vegas and San Diego.. went to one of my local places - big smiles, 5k worked just fine. DFW appears to be untouched by the new lower limits.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by travel light
Did CVS allow a beans purchase with an amex gc?
Some do, some don't.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

BF and I went and bought a simple $1k last night each. There was a new girl and she was very inquisitive of what we were doing (in a fun way). I thought it would be easier to just say "this is how we pay our rent"; however, she then turned and said, "What? What about money orders? Tell me the name of your place because I ain't moving there!"

Just shows you most do not understand the concept. She legit thought I was handing the VR's to my complex as I would a cash or check.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: Several dozen
You did know there is a limit on how many cards you can buy per drivers license. Next time you reach the limit just use another drivers license. Heck, you might even try using your international driving permit.

Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:25 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.