Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:01 pm
jyx

I wonder what cc everyone is using to buy beans at CVS. Is some card out there to earn more than 1x at pharmacy stores?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
Some in the industry have reported (not just on FT) how slim the profit margin is on selling prepaid reloads and it being wiped out by a CC interchange fee paid on say a $500 VR. But lets optimistically assume CVS is compensated $10+ for every $500 VR and their interchange fee is under 2%. If that is the case, then InComm or the prepaid business must be losing the money because we all know $10 in fees per $500 is not collected on the transaction when a churner unloads it. And I wouldn't be surprised if at least 90 out of 100 VR dollars in the country are being churned. I ask the cashiers and there is an occasional 'underbanked' buyer paying some cash for a reload while 20x$500 get cleared from the shelves. I don't see how someone in the business isn't losing money, I doubt it is the party that depends entirely on that activity to make a profit, but I could see a store taking a small loss to allow CC for convenience if it gets you in to buy other high profit items in the store.
ok it's the famous people of "some" (who presumable live "somewhere") followed by a bunch of "suppose", "if" and "doubt". in other words utter speculation

i am first to admit that i do not know who wins and loses in this game. it's a well guarded secret. but i am certainly not going to start making crap up and posting it as "fairly well established" fact the way you do.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by jyx
I wonder what cc everyone is using to buy beans at CVS. Is some card out there to earn more than 1x at pharmacy stores?
many of us are using the Citi TYP 5x that is now pretty hard to get. everyone else is just using a mix bag... i've heard of us flexperks, barclays arrive, spg, chase, fidelity amex cash back etc

if we want to get into the pure speculation about who wins or loses though the question of which card is used i think is quite telling. i found it telling that when officedepot sold vr's it got shutdown and that is because everybody was using the same chase cards. the entire spend was concentrated in one issuer and their ink series of cards. one issuer was definitely losing out as they were paying 5x on all the spend. i have seen hints from bloggers who are high up the food chain with chase that the pressure on office depot came from chase. now at cvs with the spend spread out over several different issuers and product lines, and most of those only paying 1x or 2x, the issuers are not likely getting burned as badly as chase was. and lo and behold rather than shut it down, cvs actually turn the taps up. coincidence? absolutely possible

the other area where we know shutdowns occur are with the card providers. we all know of the netspend, mio and mvd shutdowns. in fact the only one that doesn't get shutdown is bluebird, run by the giant amex who can afford to subsidize the loss in much the same way amazon payments seems to be willing to subsidize a loss up to a certain monthly limit (thank goodness amex let us do $5k instead of the more miserly $1k). now i am getting much more speculative but kind of suggests that the card providers are actually losing money. but if you load the card and then unload it, if they are getting 100 cents on the dollar in theory it should just be neutral for them. so why shutdown? it is of course quite possible they don't get 100 cents on the dollar. maybe they get 90 or 95 or 98. and they have to pay out 100 when you unload. so if you do too much without them getting all the other big offsetting fees they thought they'd get, they shut you down. if we were revenue neutral to them i don't think we'd see swiping shutdowns. but we do, and that suggests to me we are costing them $$$s

so in my opinion -not established fact by any means - the losers are the card issuers paying high multipliers on spend and the prepaid debit card issuers who i think are getting less than face value. and i suspect the stores are making a profit or at least breaking even
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12
Do you folks usually keep the old VRs or throw them? Those old cards and receipts are starting to pile up....don't see a reason to hold on to them after a month or so..?
Sell them back to the VR company
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:04 pm

It has been fairly well established the CVS store is losing money on each VR CC transaction. Store managers have complained to people about P&L reports, etc. A sensible business decision would be to scan DL to mitigate risk but keep limit to $1k/day, as any legit prepaid user would not need more than that. But why would corporate sanction an increase to $5k/day, only multiplying store losses for the benefit of churners?) I am going to stay a bit paranoid until someone can explain the business case behind it...
Ummm....okay, but take a look at this chart and see if CVS is REALLY losing money...

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=C...rce=undefined;

For the past year, from the mid 40s to high 50s/low 60s...their stock is doing A OKAY.
Maybe the VR sales is adding to the "revenue" in a huge way...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by shingu79
Ummm....okay, but take a look at this chart and see if CVS is REALLY losing money...

For the past year, from the mid 40s to high 50s/low 60s...their stock is doing A OKAY.
What does their stock price have to do with whether or not they are making a profit on ONE of the tens of thousands of items they sell?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:14 pm

Ammm...to conclude "if CVS is REALLY losing money..." stock value is technically not what you want to look. Yes, it should reflect the "earning", but looking @ the earning itself is better to conclude that. However, it's really difficult to tell the "margin" of PrePaids/Reloads from the overall picture.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
ok it's the famous people of "some" (who presumable live "somewhere") followed by a bunch of "suppose", "if" and "doubt". in other words utter speculation

i am first to admit that i do not know who wins and loses in this game. it's a well guarded secret. but i am certainly not going to start making crap up and posting it as "fairly well established" fact the way you do.
I made that conclusion based on multiple independent reports that also seem backed up by common sense and math. I don't know anything for 100% fact but I wouldn't call it 'making crap up'.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
Ammm...to conclude "if CVS is REALLY losing money..." stock value is technically not what you want to look. Yes, it should reflect the "earning", but looking @ the earning itself is better to conclude that. However, it's really difficult to tell the "margin" of PrePaids/Reloads from the overall picture.
Even if CVS lost a couple bucks per VR (paid with CC), maybe the churner buys other overpriced items while he's in there or better yet transfers prescriptions over for added convenience. Maybe in the end selling VRs to that person causes a net profit. I just can't believe that happens very much in reality.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if CVS lost a couple bucks per VR (paid with CC), maybe the churner buys other overpriced items while he's in there or better yet transfers prescriptions over for added convenience. Maybe in the end selling VRs to that person causes a net profit. I just can't believe that happens very much in reality.
Or maybe they make a profit on VRs. I don't know, you don't know. You're positing speculation as fact.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jyx
Use whatever works for you, even at 1x the total in fees for a Biz tkt to Europe or Asia s/b < $1000

I could be wrong but I believe if a person tried doing that on a new CC or 1 that they havent been using heavy till now, they just might be shut down.Especially with Citi
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Or maybe they make a profit on VRs. I don't know, you don't know. You're positing speculation as fact.
It's somehow working for CVS unlike the OD. If not, they would disappear from shelves or put constraint of Cash-Only. I don't know why they don't get the CC frauds as the OD (believed reason for not letting people buy variables of any kind with CCs) did...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:12 pm

Well basically, stock price DOES matter.

A company's stock is driven by earnings and profitability, mostly...
Yes, it's one of 10,000 items they stock, but it's one of the HIGHER value commodity compared to the other 10,000 items...Sure there are other medicines that cost just as much, but I'm sure they are kept to small percentage.

My idea is that if the company sees that one of their higher price item is not turning a profit, and for them to increase the saleability from their usual $1k limit to $5k limit, it doesn't make sense...to the board of directors, to their shareholders, etc...unless someone up high just wants to "inflate" earnings...

Well, it was just for a fun speculation...but I'm SURE they make money somehow.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vagrants
It's somehow working for CVS unlike the OD. If not, they would disappear from shelves or put constraint of Cash-Only. I don't know why they don't get the CC frauds as the OD (believed reason for not letting people buy variables of any kind with CCs) did...
For the 1st time today,I was shut out from buying a 2nd VR using a different CC. She said its only 1 transaction per day and she doesnt want to lose her job. I had a few words with her (not my reg location) and said if its due to fraud, well Corp says $5k is the max per day, 2nd you didnt check not only my CC for the last 4 digits but you never asked to see my ID. So dont give me this line its your job to pervent fraud and the company is relying on you, and finally you never handed me my receipt. She just stared as I walked away and had nothing to say

Im being to think if you arent accepted for a job at Wallys that Charlie will hire you. Man can these folks dream up some lines out of thin air that has no substance to it whatsoever

btw I simply drove 4 mins on the same street to another store to get what I wanted anyway, while there picked up what is my 3rd although I only wanted 2 to begin with
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:17 pm

Well basically, stock price DOES matter.

A company's stock is driven by earnings and profitability, mostly...
Yes, up to a point. How do you know the PrePaid/Reloads margin? I don't think you play stocks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.