Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
So if it works, we will have lots of people feeling unwell and going to the doctor for a prescription. Or several prescriptions. In fact a prescription for each day until the next visit.
Maybe this whole VR thing is just a conspiracy orchestrated by the pharmaceutical industry to get more prescriptions written.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the new game is RXing? Or maybe it should be VRXing.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta, United, SPG, HHonors, Hyatt
Originally Posted by silver4300
Registers are hard-coded nationally for cash only. I suppose it's possible that a register wasn't recoded properly - if you find one, consider yourself very fortunate!
How many beans would you hoard if you should find one?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by BanffJasper
How many beans would you hoard if you should find one?
All of them.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta, United, SPG, HHonors, Hyatt
Originally Posted by silver4300
All of them.
Ah...of course. Good advice. I am such a lite MSer to even ask that question. Plus I just got some trouble at WM for MO with the cashier saying she couldn't split the debit amounts in MO. That seemed to be a first for me.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by luggagebin
Today was the first time I walked into a CVS since... the day vanilla beans died. And, just to mock me, the gift card rack was CHALK FULL. 4 racks of beans. Stacked perfectly. Taunting me.

I wonder how big of change to monthly cash flows for the stores I frequent have occurred since this policy.
I had to LOL at the sight too. Well over 200 VRs on the rack that you know are going nowhere.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
I had to LOL at the sight too. Well over 200 VRs on the rack that you know are going nowhere.
Maybe OD has forgotten the VR fiasco. Borrow a couple and see if they ring up at OD lol.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by member7777
Maybe OD has forgotten the VR fiasco. Borrow a couple and see if they ring up at OD lol.
Do you mean STEAL a few? Borrow implies that you will be giving them back.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by member7777
That's a bad idea, and really unnecessary since OD still carries VR. I've tested it sporadically since the OD shutdown and they always immediately say cash-only. Will need to wait a bit longer for newbie cashiers that don't know what they are so we can at least get a confirmed machine decline, though I'm sure that's still the case.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:57 am

Is CVS completely done with "any" prepard card purchase "including" OV and Visa GC? I went to a couple CVS yesterday, and they have a huge sign over the shelf of prepard cards saying "all prepaid card are cash or debit card only" and they refused to sell me the OV with cc payment, insisting the "cash or debit only" rule apply to "all" according to corp (however refused to show me the memo arguing it is for internal only, should I call to complain?)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by susieling
Is CVS completely done with "any" prepard card purchase "including" OV and Visa GC? I went to a couple CVS yesterday, and they have a huge sign over the shelf of prepard cards saying "all prepaid card are cash or debit card only" and they refused to sell me the OV with cc payment, insisting the "cash or debit only" rule apply to "all" according to corp (however refused to show me the memo arguing it is for internal only, should I call to complain?)
Nope - just move on..

I have one CVS that refuses to sell by manager decision and the 5 around that location sell what is allowed by memo. No use in stirring things up.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by susieling
If you have more than one store saying the same thing, then it very well could be an area directive and that'll be hard to fight, since we've experienced individual stores' ability to set their own limits/rules.
Assuming that you've already pointed out that these are gift cards and not pre-paid, the best suggestion would be to go back at a different time, with different employees working.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dukerau
That's a bad idea, and really unnecessary since OD still carries VR. I've tested it sporadically since the OD shutdown and they always immediately say cash-only. Will need to wait a bit longer for newbie cashiers that don't know what they are so we can at least get a confirmed machine decline, though I'm sure that's still the case.
No need to wait, I had a cashier try to ring up a VR at OD this weekend (just in case!) and the register immediately flagged it as cash only.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kingrat
Nope - just move on..

I have one CVS that refuses to sell by manager decision and the 5 around that location sell what is allowed by memo. No use in stirring things up.
^

I just bought $1K OVs at CVS on Tuesday to pay my taxes, so that's an individual store decision. No point in complaining, they have the right to do that. And if they actually put up signs, you aren't going to get anyone to even try ringing it up.

Hopefully you have other CVS locations nearby that don't have that policy.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I bought 3k and DW 5k yesterday, so we are good here in Bay Area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.