Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silver4300
Again, there is a difference between restricting information and overt publicizing. Refraining from overt publicizing is not restricting information. For example, the MS community did not purchase a Superbowl Ad to publicize MS to the masses. I would not consider that restricting information. Furthermore, large mainstream blogs have a profit motive and are rewarded for overt publicizing.

I do recognize, however, that you are entitled to your opinion, Paul.
But you still don't recognize that you're not arguing the same point.

Also, circles and arrows are merely detailed explanation. Whether it is overt publicizing depends on how it is presented. If a poster asks a blogger how to do something and the blogger posts pictures with circles and arrows in response, that's certainly not publicizing.

If a blogger posts a headline reading "MSing Explained in Full" in large letters on his blog, that comes closer, but since you don't actually have to go to his site and look at it, it still might not be considered publicizing.

If the blogger has a link with that headline on some other site, then that's definitely publicizing.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Didn't seem that way to me. OP started out complaining about people even mentioning OVs. Then went on to arrows and circles, as though answering a question here of "what is OV", was somehow similar to MMS diagrams. My point is that they are apples and oranges. The mere saying "OV means OneVanilla", on page 500+ of a thread, has no relationship to MMS placing a post titled in Bold Print, filled with circles, arrows and photos so folks don't even need to understand what they are doing. These two utterly different things don't belong in the same paragraph.
I agree that MMS goes way beyond anything on FT and in a separate category.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Also, circles and arrows are merely detailed explanation. Whether it is overt publicizing depends on how it is presented. If a poster asks a blogger how to do something and the blogger posts pictures with circles and arrows in response, that's certainly not publicizing.

If a blogger posts a headline reading "MSing Explained in Full" in large letters on his blog, that comes closer, but since you don't actually have to go to his site and look at it, it still might not be considered publicizing.

If the blogger has a link with that headline on some other site, then that's definitely publicizing.
I generally agree with these statements. Although I would consider "MSing Explained in Full" in large letters on a mainstream blog to be publicizing. (By your logic one could say that Superbowl Ads are not publicizing since you don't actually have to go to the broadcast and look at it.)
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:40 pm

Just picked up the last 7.5k in VRs. Found someone's stash of 5 vr's, score! Will head back again tonight to load serve and pick up some OVs. I've stayed clear of OVs and MVDs, but will probably try to pick up a few before the dreaded shutdown. In a nutshell, does everyone buy OVs to load to MVD? Or can you just enable the pin and load to BB or get a MO? Do they sell these in grocery stores? I don't think I've seen them there, but I'm thinking everyone wants to get these bc they're $1 cheaper than VGCs?

Just read the posts above, so a Pm would be appreciated too. Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
I debated posting this because, in my opinion, the arguments on why CVS will stop selling prepaids in most/all locations are just guesses.

But, ignoring that, here goes: I had a conversation with a known manager this AM after getting denied. She stated she was on a conference call this week where they discussed the new prepaid policy. The big driver, according to what she told me, was high fees associated with more people buying VR's with rewards credit cards. Nothing new here.

The new bit of info was that an agreement CVS had with "the Vanilla prepaid provider" (assuming this is Incomm) expired 3/31 and a new agreement went into effect. This new agreement charges CVS higher fees, to the point where they can no longer absorb the high reward CC fees.

I have no idea if this is true, but just thought I would pass it along for those who enjoy this topic.
This makes sense and, if true, Incomm will get what they deserve if some exec thought cvc needed them more than they need cvs and jacked up fees. given the volume we do, i think it is highly likely that we are a considerable part of their VR business. Well, us along with drug dealers and money launderers who pay with cash- cvs's target market going forward.

as to the rest: yeah, it's not people using SPG card, it's the category people, exactly like OD was. in talking to my stores, the 'amex card with blue on it' is the main card. a lot of people making a 2nd income off the old amex 5% blue card- and that's REAL MONEY, not points. the fact that only, i think, 4 drugstores qualify shows it's a shared cost thing- mom and pop drug doesn't get the category bonus.

i blame bloggers and reckless newbs where they are logically the cause. with CVS, it ran a long time and had corporate approval for everything- even $5k/day. THE BUSINESS MODEL not working is what killed this one.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...(By your logic one could say that Superbowl Ads are not publicizing since you don't actually have to go to the broadcast and look at it.)
No, that's not my logic. That would be more the equivalent of my third example, which I said clearly was publicizing. Pointing out something in a blog that you're already on is not quite that. You're there to gain information and the blogger is telling you "I have this, too".

Last edited by PaulMSN; Apr 2, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I received my Citi Exec card and just purchased my first bean today. No cards on display, asked expecting to be shot down and was surprised to be offered some from behind the counter. Register was hard coded to only allow a single card purchase and clerk was instructed not to split them up.

Supervisor could not beleive that they had sold through 200 cards in 3 days. The potential of 100k going through that single store both shocked me and left me with a smile.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Has anyone tried a Debit card at a location where CC has been shut down?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:08 pm

Still hanging on at small town, northern indiana store. Went in this morning to get $2500 (limit maxed over the past 3 days other than that) and the manager at register said I think those are cash only now and pulled out dreaded memo. I knew memo and pointed to the 4/4 and said oh, thought it started then. She said I'll try....and then mentioned she didn't know why they were doing it since they still get their money whether cash or credit. (Didn't comment) after some other small talk and it went through, she actually congratulated me on getting them one more time. Hubby trying again tonight. Hoping payment goes through so I can try again tomorrow. Glad I was aware to give it one last go before it died.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Supervisor could not beleive that they had sold through 200 cards in 3 days. The potential of 100k going through that single store both shocked me and left me with a smile.
Will this lead t CVS having to report a chain-wide 'same store sales' decline next quarter?!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:13 pm

VR is dead, but is vgc still safe at CVS????
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by rabatt
Quote of the Day Regarding the Shutdown:

"This is probably Good for EveryBbdy… the heavy MSs doing 20K + per week of VR are those who take all the saver awards flying 4-5 times per year… and those people who saved the points for 3 years for a holiday can’t get no Awards…"

$30k a week can be done without so much as touching a VR....all through the same store.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
CVS rep in VA said they had just gotten the memo...something to do about fees was the stated reason. Alas.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:27 pm

I generally agree with these statements. Although I would consider "MSing Explained in Full" in large letters on a mainstream blog to be publicizing. (By your logic one could say that Superbowl Ads are not publicizing since you don't actually have to go to the broadcast and look at it.)

PAULMSN and SILVER4300 - TAKE A CHILL PILL - IT IS GETTING OLD
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kingrat
PAULMSN and SILVER4300 - TAKE A CHILL PILL - IT IS GETTING OLD
Large type and red lettering -- looks like you're the one who needs to chill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.