Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
lol

well actually its more like this:

um hi um, Mr Silver?
Yes um my name is Patrice and I am with store management's Loss Prevention Department... can I speak with you over here please?

(The clerk looks at you like you have three heads after having had to call the mgr over when you tried to buy the VRs even though just yesterday you were both chatting about the hockey game or the kids, etc)

Yeah um well we cant sell you these gift cards anymore. There's been a lot of fraud and well--why do you buy so many anyway? May I know?

It can go on from there but that's about the way it begins.. and ends.
"If you MUST know, I buy them so MM can pay his "contractors". Yes, they are building missile launch sites in his basement, it's very expensive but they, oh yes, former Soviet Strategic Rocket Force people, lovely blokes, like the idea of Vanilla Reloads".
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by arsenalman
To be honest - im not worried. And i would love to have a conversation with a cop. I am not doing anything illegal. They offer VRs and i am buying it.
The reason i posted this was because i was following the 1K per day rule that is posted here. Clearly that is not true. I will go in the next couple of days and try to buy 3 more to confirm.
No I am with you totally! In fact I once HAD a very overzealous CVS manager IN my home town contact the local police who asked me to come down to the station to talk about gift cards. When I told the office (I know him because our kids go to school together) he chuckled and threw away the folder he had in his hand. I went back to my store a week later and that mgr was no longer there. Not sure why lol.

But the fact is there ARE such types. Maybe it's me... maybe it's them, maybe it's a combo of both on a bad day. Either way, I have met them in more than just CVS and alls I do is go in to buy these things like most of you do. Each state and town and region and store mgr and clerk is different.

The new mgr of that same CVS in my town also got on my case for BREACHING the $1k rule (which doesn't really exist but they heard it does so they think it does so they tell us it does even if we know it doesn't) when I had bought $1k in front one morning and came back in the eve to get medicine and bought $1k in back. The next day she saw me and stormed out onto the floor and she told me I could no longer get gift cards at her store (I informed her VR are not GCs but she didn't care lol). So I said no problem ma'am like the last one you will be gone in a few months anyway and I will just go elsewhere. this made her mad but I walked out.

Well she happened to call the store in the next town and when I got there and tried to buy 2 VR the clerk got the mgr and he came out all mad too until I explained to him much of what is said similar to what is quoted below. But he didn't want to hear it--he was convinced I was all about fraud and yet I was standing there holding MY ID and MY Cc and I live like 3 miles away and I was like dood... wth. Why are you on my case? What fraud? Why would a 40 something father with his ID and CC who has lived her X years commit fraud with a couple of these cards? Are you sure you aren't mad at somebody else? After a while he calmed down and suggested I contact the dist mgr and he gave me his number but I threw it away. I have not been back into either stores since and moved all our prescriptions to a local pharmacy instead. I now get CVS GCs and Vrs at other locations and buy NOTHING else when there. they've completely lost me for everything else now. Sorry.

One of the clerks asked me maybe a month back - my response was that i contract a lot of people and rather then giving them credit cards or money. I give them these cards so i can track the cash flow. She was like - wow that is really smart. Good idea.
The non-horse-blinder types get this. The drones get righteous on ya!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Exec. Platinum
Meh. Just tried my first attempt at VR. Found a couple (A miracle it seems) left on my local CVS shelf. Go to buy it and attempted to start small ($250) and was told that there is a "strict" policy of anything over $100 has to be paid with debit or cash.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by TWG2012
Meh. Just tried my first attempt at VR. Found a couple (A miracle it seems) left on my local CVS shelf. Go to buy it and attempted to start small ($250) and was told that there is a "strict" policy of anything over $100 has to be paid with debit or cash.
Now that's one i've never heard before...

Seems well thought out actually...
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Exec. Platinum
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Now that's one i've never heard before...

Seems well thought out actually...
I agree. I was kind of shocked to hear an answer like this. Oh well. Guess I can always try the other 4 CVS' around me as well!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
So today I had a CVS clerk try to pull over an easily seen scam that I'm sure all of you will find amusing.

I stopped in prior to a graduation dinner at a CVS I've don't normally go to (They've never had VRs) to pick up a gift card to give to someone as an actual gift. When I went to pay the clerk informed me that ALL gift card purchases were cash only, no debit, no credit. Everything from Starbucks, XBox Live, to pre-paids. I thought he was joking at first, but he went on this big long rant about how his manager stated all gift cards were cash only with no exceptions.

I didn't really have the time to argue so I was actually going to pay cash for the Starbucks gift card. This was until he also told me it was also store policy to require me to pay for my gift card separately from the greeting card I also wanted, and he wasn't able to give a receipt for the gift card purchase.

I knew he was trying to get me to just hand over cash, pocket it himself, and give me an unactivated gift card. I told him thanks for the offer, I can't do it though since I need the receipt for business expense reimbursement.

I did however purchase the greeting card with cash to get a receipt with the cashier's name on it for proof. He conveniently also attempted to give me change for a $10 instead of the $20 I gave him. Once the transaction was done, I told him that maybe next time he'll have better luck picking someone to ripoff than the person who used to make a living investigating internal theft, as well as counting millions of dollar in cash and coins each day. I then made it a point to pull the receipt close up to my eyes like I was Mr. Magoo, read off his name and the transaction time real loud, and tell him I'm sure his manager and CVS corporate will get a huge laugh out of this in the morning.

By his loud expression of "Oh ****ing **** man, what the ****" while I was walking out I don't think he found it as amusing as I did.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by TWG2012
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
So today I had a CVS clerk try to pull over an easily seen scam that I'm sure all of you will find amusing.

I stopped in prior to a graduation dinner at a CVS I've don't normally go to (They've never had VRs) to pick up a gift card to give to someone as an actual gift. When I went to pay the clerk informed me that ALL gift card purchases were cash only, no debit, no credit. Everything from Starbucks, XBox Live, to pre-paids. I thought he was joking at first, but he went on this big long rant about how his manager stated all gift cards were cash only with no exceptions.

I didn't really have the time to argue so I was actually going to pay cash for the Starbucks gift card. This was until he also told me it was also store policy to require me to pay for my gift card separately from the greeting card I also wanted, and he wasn't able to give a receipt for the gift card purchase.

I knew he was trying to get me to just hand over cash, pocket it himself, and give me an unactivated gift card. I told him thanks for the offer, I can't do it though since I need the receipt for business expense reimbursement.

I did however purchase the greeting card with cash to get a receipt with the cashier's name on it for proof. He conveniently also attempted to give me change for a $10 instead of the $20 I gave him. Once the transaction was done, I told him that maybe next time he'll have better luck picking someone to ripoff than the person who used to make a living investigating internal theft, as well as counting millions of dollar in cash and coins each day. I then made it a point to pull the receipt close up to my eyes like I was Mr. Magoo, read off his name and the transaction time real loud, and tell him I'm sure his manager and CVS corporate will get a huge laugh out of this in the morning.

By his loud expression of "Oh ****ing **** man, what the ****" while I was walking out I don't think he found it as amusing as I did.
these are CVSs that, while each store and manager has its own rules, I would totally report to government agencies JUST to make them have to do all the formalities and get pissed off.

I like the Mr Magoo reference! hahaha
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:09 am

I feel this thread is now turning into friction entertainment. Few guys from here can get together and write a book.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:10 am

I had one grandmotherly CVS cashier try to keep one of my reloads on the sneak.
Grandmother as in, she had her kids young and her kids had her kid young too.

I was chatting her up trying to be friendly and personable so they wouldn't give me greif about buying so many of them. On my way out I realized my hands were empty and I snapped around and looked at her. Her eyes gave her up as see glanced at the just activated $500 reloads on her register. I know what was up to and she knew she was caught red handed but I made a point NOT to go postal and compromise the relationship with the store and staff. I sheepishly played it off and said I think I forgot something. That allowed her to opportunity to say "Oh yeah... here you go."

From that day on, I have never (NEVER) taken my eyes of my cards for a second while checking out. Even when talking to the cashier my eyes are on the cards and not on the cashier.

These days the cashier all seem to be on the same page when it comes to checking out. They ring them up and leave them flat on the desk so you both know where they are at all times. I think someone must have been taken by one of the staff and as a result employees are being trained to ring them up that way so no one gets accused of any funny business. At least around here... Fine by me.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:17 am

So another good report on beans at a CVS in a well-off suburb I drive through frequently. Purchased 2x $500 this weekend without any sort of second-glance or "wow" look from the cashier. They didn't seem to have a shortage of them either.

Still need to find another one in the city to see if "cash only" is just a city thing.

Strangely enough, I went to a Walgreens after and they also had VR. I have not yet had success getting those with anything but cash...so I brought them up to the register along with 2 standard VISA GCs and asked the cashier if the VRs were cash only. She didn't seem to know, but said she would ring them up and see what they came up as. When I told her I wanted $500 on each she told me that I am limited to $500 total per day. The VRs came up cash only, so I opted for the VISA GC instead. However she stated that those too were only $500 max per day.

She said it was their policy, but I couldn't get a straight answer if she was telling me it was Walgreens policy or that particular store's policy. While I was checking out I relayed to her that I found it strange because I live in the city and have purchased $1K there before. I did say that I found it strange however because there they check my ID (almost always..unless cashier is new) but that she didn't check mine...

First I have had this happen at half a dozen different Walgreens (I always buy 2x$500)...hope it was just an uninformed cashier or a problem store.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:30 am

Its just that store and/or cashier. I have two Walgreens. One has no limit and the other is 1k/day.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
To be honest - im not worried. And i would love to have a conversation with a cop. I am not doing anything illegal. They offer VRs and i am buying it.
The reason i posted this was because i was following the 1K per day rule that is posted here. Clearly that is not true. I will go in the next couple of days and try to buy 3 more to confirm.
It's not true for you...until it is. I have a super friendly store that would let me buy many, many multiples, until they got a call from corporate one day several weeks ago. If you can, great, but just know that they *are* watching and it may only be a matter of time.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
I have been to 2 stores in LA where the limit is $500 per day, although at the second one the assistant manager let me buy a second vr with a different cc.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
"Yes officer. That is the person who keeps coming in to buy VR cards in what I now understand to be multiple acts of fraud"
I dunno what you guys are doing with these VRs, but I use them legally. What ever it is, please knock it off. Thx

Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by thorax
I dunno what you guys are doing with these VRs, but I use them legally. What ever it is, please knock it off. Thx

I buy 2 $500 worth at CVS, and then I put them back on the rack but hide them behind some Xbox cards. But for some reason I am not seeing any benefit. Am I doing something wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.