Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by calwatch
Originally Posted by chipahoy82
Thank you...good to know. I'm using Freedom since I need some UR points top off my account for a redemption. In still grandfathered until old Freedom 10x10, so I would get more UR points using Freedom than Sapphire.
You know you could do better with Chase Gift Cards to load Bluebird at Wal-Mart at no fee, right? The only problem with that is that you have to get to a Wal-Mart and wait for the gift cards to show up.
That is true. and I plan on doing that once my new Ink card arrives in the mail to help meet my signup bonus
Old May 27, 2013, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by calwatch
You know you could do better with Chase Gift Cards to load Bluebird at Wal-Mart at no fee, right? The only problem with that is that you have to get to a Wal-Mart and wait for the gift cards to show up.
Chase Gift Cards has gained popularity, VR rush has evened out.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:03 pm

That is true. and I plan on doing that once my new Ink card arrives in the mail to help meet my signup bonus
With Ink, I would much rather by 1K of gc's at office supply store than 5k from Chase...just easier even though I pay for it. I want the points now!
Old May 27, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Actually, on your Ink cards you'd be better of buying 5x$200 Visa GCs at Office Depot (or the occasional OfficeMax) for about $35. You'll earn 5,000 UR points worth at least $75, often more. Your 1x purchase of the Chase gift card, for free, will net 1,000 UR points worth about $15.

Just don't put more than $2,600 on your Ink card every month at office supply stores, at least for starters. Balance this with un-bonused and small-scale spending.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rick471
With Ink, I would much rather by 1K of gc's at office supply store than 5k from Chase...just easier even though I pay for it. I want the points now!
Good point
Old May 27, 2013, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
Actually, on your Ink cards you'd be better of buying 5x$200 Visa GCs at Office Depot (or the occasional OfficeMax) for about $35. You'll earn 5,000 UR points worth at least $75, often more. Your 1x purchase of the Chase gift card, for free, will net 1,000 UR points worth about $15.

Just don't put more than $2,600 on your Ink card every month at office supply stores, at least for starters. Balance this with un-bonused and small-scale spending.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I was planning on doing a lot of 1x purchases as well on the Ink upfront as well.
Old May 29, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Explore

Why does $2,600 seem to be the magic number?
Old May 29, 2013, 9:27 am

So I was out of town in St. Louis this weekend and was successful not in just buying $1000 worth with my CC, but of Beans no less!

I only discovered the CVS my last night there - so only got to get a pair. On my way home I stopped at another CVS in Illinois and it wouldn't process. It seemed to be saying another tender was required - but it is possible that there was a fraud alert up on my CC.

I went to the Walgreens across the street and they had beans there too (never saw them in a Walgreens before). The cashier told me however they were cash only (I *think* they actually swiped them before they told me this - but maybe they just knew). They said it was only for the reloadable cards though, and I could use credit for the GC no problem.

Originally Posted by BenH
Hey guys...hope someone will save me the time of reading through this entire thread. I'm not new to manufacture spend, but am new to using CVS.

I went into a CVS today to buy $1000 of gift card. Not reload beans, but the non-reloadable variable Visa cards. I was told I couldn't pay with credit but the cashier, and then the manager came over and confirmed. He said it was company policy. Even when I asked "company policy or store policy?"

My gist from this thread is that credit should still be allowed up to $1000. Is this not correct?

This is in Chicago BTW.

tia
Old May 29, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Gld 1MM; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
I just don't understand the technique!

I've been through much of this forum, and still don't know what "VR" and "beans" means - and can't figure out the technique you folks are using. It seems to me that following what I think you're talking about would rather quickly result in accumulation of tons of gift cards, lots of points earned on my Ink (or whatever) card, and monstrous bills to pay on the credit cards each month - but I can't use those gift cards to pay my credit card bills, my mortgage payment, my property tax... what am I missing here? Please PM me if this is some deep, dark secret.

Advice would sure be appreciated before I rip out my hair - what's left of it - in frustration.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by GreatPeer
I've been through much of this forum, and still don't know what "VR" and "beans" means - and can't figure out the technique you folks are using. It seems to me that following what I think you're talking about would rather quickly result in accumulation of tons of gift cards, lots of points earned on my Ink (or whatever) card, and monstrous bills to pay on the credit cards each month - but I can't use those gift cards to pay my credit card bills, my mortgage payment, my property tax... what am I missing here? Please PM me if this is some deep, dark secret.

Advice would sure be appreciated before I rip out my hair - what's left of it - in frustration.
I think U are late, this game is now less popular/ending(imho) CVS cashiers are adding to the difficulties, too many uncertainties. New programs like Google Wallet, Chase gift cards, Visa +pin and few more are simpler, easier, controllable and getting popular. People get exited and get deep into the game and cannot handle the mess or loose money, get frustrated then disappear. If you have control to do within moderation, U may survive longer. My monthly limit is $5000 between all programs combined.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
I think U are late, this game is now less popular/ending(imho) CVS cashiers are adding to the difficulties, too many uncertainties. New programs like Google Wallet, Chase gift cards, Visa +pin and few more are simpler, easier, controllable and getting popular. People get exited and get deep into the game and cannot handle the mess or loose money, get frustrated then disappear. If you have control to do within moderation, U may survive longer. My monthly limit is $5000 between all programs combined.
I sort of disagree. With all the other options, there is certainly less contention for VR, and while CVS may vary, those that do allow credit card purchase (even if there is a $1K limit) now seem better stocked.

GreatPeer: it is all explained in various places both here and in the infamous circles and arrows on blogs. Basically VR = Vanilla Reload, a card that is used to reload various other cards, cost $3.95 + reload cost of up to $500. Some CVS allow you to purchase them with credit cards, getting the points etc, for the $3.95 charge. You can then use the card to reload say an Amex Bluebird, which you can then use to pay bills, including your credit card bill, or transfer to your bank account.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:11 pm

I haven't paid attention to this thread until now but my CVS allows many VRs as I want but I need to buy in separate transactions because the limit is 1k for each transaction.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Went to CVS at noon to drop off my prescriptions and notice 3 racks of VR (total maybe, 6, 16 and 10 cards on the racks, respectively). Grabbed a pair on the way out with a bottle of water. Went back at 4:30pm to pickup my drugs only to find 2 left. How interesting that these fly off the racks in hours.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by vfdfs2
Went to CVS at noon to drop off my prescriptions and notice 3 racks of VR (total maybe, 6, 16 and 10 cards on the racks, respectively). Grabbed a pair on the way out with a bottle of water. Went back at 4:30pm to pickup my drugs only to find 2 left. How interesting that these fly off the racks in hours.
some idiot probably hid a few.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by silver6054
I sort of disagree. With all the other options, there is certainly less contention for VR, and while CVS may vary, those that do allow credit card purchase (even if there is a $1K limit) now seem better stocked.

GreatPeer: it is all explained in various places both here and in the infamous circles and arrows on blogs. Basically VR = Vanilla Reload, a card that is used to reload various other cards, cost $3.95 + reload cost of up to $500. Some CVS allow you to purchase them with credit cards, getting the points etc, for the $3.95 charge. You can then use the card to reload say an Amex Bluebird, which you can then use to pay bills, including your credit card bill, or transfer to your bank account.
If you can find 10 VRs a month (which i can very easily in my town), then its the easiest way to hit the 5k BB threshold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.