Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by TTnC4me
It's not true for you...until it is. I have a super friendly store that would let me buy many, many multiples, until they got a call from corporate one day several weeks ago. If you can, great, but just know that they *are* watching and it may only be a matter of time.
that could be possible. Well - for now i will continue to get 10K worth of VRs monthly in 7-10 days.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:40 pm

I am surprised that so many of U are still hung up on VR at CVS. It has been some time that I bought a VR, there are other, easier, simpler ways. Is it because Most of U are using Citi for 5 pts?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
I am surprised that so many of U are still hung up on VR at CVS. It has been some time that I bought a VR, there are other, easier, simpler ways. Is it because Most of U are using Citi for 5 pts?
Yes, because on post 557 you said that the VR rush had evened out. Appears a lot of us didn't get that message.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
Its just that store and/or cashier. I have two Walgreens. One has no limit and the other is 1k/day.
So I just hit another Walgreens up while running some errands. This is one not 2 miles from my closest one where I buy $1K frequently. At my regular location they usually ID me and sometimes give me funny looks - but in the end they always let me purchase. I tend to only buy there once or twice a month though as I don't want to arouse suspicion with a purchase every other day.

Anyway - at this new location they refused to let me buy standard Visa GCs with credit. They said debit or cash only. There was one cashier, one guy who looked to be either a manager or asst. manager and another guy who looked like he might have been a stock guy. The 2 working the registers claimed that it was "Walgreens policy" not store-specific. I asked them if they were sure because I buy at the one down the street - and ones in the burbs - and ones out of state before multiple times with never an issue. The (asst) manager asked "with credit?" and I said "yes...multiple times." He shook his head and again said "no...cash only." So I said thanks and left.

Again - this is likely an isolated incident...but it is the first time I have ever been turned down from buying standard GCs at a Walgreens (amount exclusive). Hope its not a new trend.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:49 pm

If you have the ability to get them without too much problem then there are not really easier-simpler ways.

VRs have two main advantages:
1) You can purchase them in advance and then load them onto your cards at your leisure. This means if you are out for the weekend running errands you can buy as many as you can get your hands on and load them throughout the week. With daily limits on BB and other cards this makes it very easy to not have to go out to WM to load all the time.

2) Cheapest option. At 3.95 for a VR it is $1 to $2 less than a standard Visa/MC/Amex gift card.

So yes - it is usually easier to find places that let you buy standard GCs for credit with higher limits then VRs - but if you can find a place to get them it is still the best option.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
it is because people like easy and cvs/vr/bb are easy

not many like to get creative and do other things
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:53 pm

You know what isn't easy? Pimpin' ain't easy.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
lol!!

(but it is in this game!! I have a white unmarked windowless van I drive around with a bunch of illegals in it who I send into stores to get my MOs and GCs all the time. If they fail to return with the goods... *makes the slit his throat signal* lol
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
All.of.This.

This is easily one of my top 3 favorite posts on this forum.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Marathon Man

I enjoy the loop I drive from Kroger to WalMart at home or near the office. Once my GB card arrives, I will be driving the loop at least twice a week.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:29 pm

I went 4 for 4 yesterday morning buying $1,000 at each of the four different CVS stores I tried, all on the same card. I was running errands later in the day in a different neighborhood and tried another 2 locations. One of these cashiers played the "cash only" card so I left empty handed, until I drove 2 minutes down the road and was successful. 5 for 6 for the day on my 10% card isn't too bad.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by itaf3can
5 for 6 for the day on my 10% card isn't too bad.
what is 10% card?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
what is 10% card?
probably had an extra 0, meant 1% card
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

CVS is the trouble maker / uncertainties. If I walk in CVS no guarantees that I walk out with VR or frustration!, so I walk in only if I have some other business in there, VR is secondary.
VR is expensive ($7.90/1000?) compared to Chase gift card or Google wallet is free (with limits)
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
probably had an extra 0, meant 1% card
There are 10% cards out there for a limited time, if you apply at a branch. Also discussed here earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.