Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by tuphat
Observation, FWIW --
In Orlando this week, went to one CVS on not-so-nice side of town, sign posted requiring cash to purchase any type of GC, clerk said no exceptions. Went to another CVS in more upscale neighborhood, no such restriction, plenty of beans, so guff from clerk.
Thats what I talked about in another thread. You were in two of the four americas
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Now that my CVS lets me buy $5,000 VR's at one time, they are missing me since I now only need to go in 3 times a month instead of the "usual" 15.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:53 am

I'm sorry if this sounds dense, since I'm a newbie, but my question is: What's the perk of getting VR as CVS? The $3.95 fee for $500 is a bit high IMO. If you buy VR at OD for 5 point / dollar I can understand, but $3.95 for 500 points is pretty expensive. It IS a profit, but just not as much as other avenues.

Or maybe I'm missing something, where one can get more than 1 point / spend at CVS? AFAIK, it's not classified as groceries by most card companies.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by nyold
I'm sorry if this sounds dense, since I'm a newbie, but my question is: What's the perk of getting VR as CVS? The $3.95 fee for $500 is a bit high IMO. If you buy VR at OD for 5 point / dollar I can understand, but $3.95 for 500 points is pretty expensive. It IS a profit, but just not as much as other avenues.

Or maybe I'm missing something, where one can get more than 1 point / spend at CVS? AFAIK, it's not classified as groceries by most card companies.
You can't use a credit card to buy VR's at OD. When you could, that was the way to go. Now CVS is pretty much the only way to do your MS via CC
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:12 am

It depends on which card you are using, and what sort of value you can get when redeeming those points that you earn. If you can redeem points for 4-ish cpp, then 0.79 is pretty cheap.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by pkerr
You can't use a credit card to buy VR's at OD. When you could, that was the way to go. Now CVS is pretty much the only way to do your MS via CC
Ah thanks. I guess I must've been reading some really old posts here when people say they get 5 points buying VR.

If you are clever about spending miles / points, I do think you can get a really high cpm, but still 0.79 cpm (for VR) sounds expensive.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers

As stated, OD was the way to go. Now there are a few cards that give more than 1 point/dollar, so these are your best bet.

If you are using a 1x card, you're looking at buying points/miles for .8 cents per mile, which is weak for domestic economy redemption but good for international premium. Personally I would not use a 1% cash back card for this.

The other reason is that VR's are cheaper than most gift cards and are easier to unload.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt

I primarily do it just to hit my min-spend on my new cards but once I finish that, it's unlikely I'll do it at 1% CB.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
I've been searching without success for the past few weeks. They are not restocking them at all. In one of the remodeled stores, they have set up space for them in an area next to the counter (along with other prepaid cards), away from the gift cards. However, since they remodeled they haven't stocked any... If you do find them, please PM me, and I'll do the same.
I'll let you know if I find one. I asked a friend in North Jersey who is a member here as well. Apparently, no go as well.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: A few
both td ameritrade and wells fargo have cards available today that give 5x cashback at drug stores for 6 months each. plenty of opportunities out there. i'm just a few months into the 12 months with citi 5x
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:17 pm

Argh well in nyc where I've never been denied before. 3 stores in area said cash or debit only. Ok fine. But the sign on top of gift card center says this.
So they are wrong.

Zoom in on image.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...rd-center.html
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:45 pm

6 days ago I was able to buy a VR at the local CVS, but today a clerk I had never seen before informed me that they had just changed the policy to cash only because people were using "fake credit cards". I didn't press the issue, and may try again in a few weeks.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by opus2002
I'll let you know if I find one. I asked a friend in North Jersey who is a member here as well. Apparently, no go as well.
Aren't you in south Jersey? Just cross the bridge & go to Philly area. Lots of beans in the suburbs, the cashiers can be picky though.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ctbarron
As stated, OD was the way to go. Now there are a few cards that give more than 1 point/dollar, so these are your best bet.

If you are using a 1x card, you're looking at buying points/miles for .8 cents per mile, which is weak for domestic economy redemption but good for international premium. Personally I would not use a 1% cash back card for this.

The other reason is that VR's are cheaper than most gift cards and are easier to unload.
there are also CCs out there where $79 in fees gets you a tkt worth up to $400, that earns you RDMs and EQMs as well as for DL & UA count towards your min Spend come '14

eg JFK-SFO-LA earns 6100 EQMs and 12,200 RDMs for $79 Id say is a very sweet opportunity, yet whatever the real base fare is will count towards ones min Spend for the yr since its a rev tkt which will be $300+ towards the needed Spend
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
Now CVS is pretty much the only way to do your MS via CC
not really.

you can buy moneypack with CC (some RA not CVS) = plenty of outlets for money pack
you can buy vanilla gc and myvanilla with cc - gc with pc = moneyorder at worst

plenty of options out there. the question always, though, is it worth it. I find that MSing without a bonus goal may not be worth it for me due to my current options for where I am buying them - at 1x without a bonus goal it is not always worth it, as someone mentioned in the thread. I am better off MS with 2% cash back or with usbank. but I am still working on bonuses and will be for a while (25k spend on united, then after the new year 60k sw and then 25k united x 2 * I know the devaluation is coming*)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.