Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Warning for CA Bay Area players
At my Campbell C-VS this AM the manager told me they just received an alert on VR as someone at the Palo Alto store walked out with 50 cards.

a) If the clown that did this is one of us, please stop. This is abusive and draws unnecessary attention. Plus it is really piggy and rude to everyone else here who has probably helped you in your game or learning.
b) If it isn't a miles junkie then be aware that some of the fraud (mostly Atlanta) that has been reported with VR might be coming to a CVS near you. Check your activations and unload quickly.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
It has been fairly well established the CVS store is losing money on each VR CC transaction. Store managers have complained to people about P&L reports, etc.
No way in the world is ceevee ess loosing money selling these
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
"fairly well established" by whom? us clowns on here? you've got to be kidding me. if they are losing money, it seems highly unlikely that they would increase the limit. if someone is punching you and it hurts, you don't ask them to do it more
^ Like.
My thought exactly.
I am sure Vanilla Reload(Incomm) compensate CeVeS for the cards they sell in store. Very odd reason for it to increase to $5k limit if they already are losing $$ with $1k limit.

At $1k limit, it will bring 5x as much traffic to store than the limit @$5k, and every times i am there, i normally pick up something that I may not necessary need.

Of course I wont go crazy and spend 5k at CeVeS in 1 transactions but It is better to have different amount showing in your credit card(s), imo.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by rdover1
At my Campbell C-VS this AM the manager told me they just received an alert on VR as someone at the Palo Alto store walked out with 50 cards.

a) If the clown that did this is one of us, please stop. This is abusive and draws unnecessary attention. Plus it is really piggy and rude to everyone else here who has probably helped you in your game or learning.
b) If it isn't a miles junkie then be aware that some of the fraud (mostly Atlanta) that has been reported with VR might be coming to a CVS near you. Check your activations and unload quickly.
walk out as filling $500 on each card or walk out with the cards unloaded?
I thought the limit is $5k, how he can get away with $25k???
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by oozze
walk out as filling $500 on each card or walk out with the cards unloaded?
I thought the limit is $5k, how he can get away with $25k???
Probably lifted the whole bundle off the rack and walked out.
Crazy...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:11 am

what for though? you need to load them anyway.
On 2nd thought, I know why..

soon, they will put camera above gift card's rack lol.

Last edited by oozze; Aug 9, 2013 at 11:20 am
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by oozze
what for though? you need to load them anyway.
Fraud. If you knew how to re-create the silver scratch off on the back it would be easy. Take down all the numbers, put them back in CVS's, wait for people to buy them. Then all you have to do is take the money before the customer uses it.

Or if he is a miles junky, now all he would have to do is bring VR's with him to CVS to activate instead of worrying if there are any in stock.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has been fairly well established the CVS store is losing money on each VR CC transaction. Store managers have complained to people about P&L reports, etc. A sensible business decision would be to scan DL to mitigate risk but keep limit to $1k/day, as any legit prepaid user would not need more than that. But why would corporate sanction an increase to $5k/day, only multiplying store losses for the benefit of churners?) I am going to stay a bit paranoid until someone can explain the business case behind it...
No, it has not. At all. Speculation is not confirmation.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
Is it all possible CVS saw what we are doing, churners specifically, and decided they are OK with it? Then developed a policy to reign in excessive abuse (more than 5k a day) and also institute security measures (DL scans) to cover their butts on any legal/tax fronts. Is that possible? Otherwise this does feel like a sting operation. Are those the only two possibilities?
The second is a highly unlikely possibility. There is really no rational basis to even posit it. Occam's Razor would help you here.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Only thing I'll be cutting with a knife anytime soon is my chilean bass on my upcoming SQ flight, TYVM .
^^ I'm actually totally fine with the paranoia around here. More for me

Originally Posted by drdrew450
I think if they wanted to shut it down they would, they are OK with us, this is just a security measure to ensure people are not buying with stolen credit cards.
Totally agree. I think it's much more about preventing fraud than it is about catching legitimate, albeit large, purchases. Think about it -- someone purchases a large amount of VRs and it's a fraudulent purchase -- CVS has total recourse (if the ID is properly verified) against the purchaser. CVS has put a pretty smart check in place, if you ask me.

It has been fairly well established the CVS store is losing money on each VR CC transaction. Store managers have complained to people about P&L reports, etc. A sensible business decision would be to scan DL to mitigate risk but keep limit to $1k/day, as any legit prepaid user would not need more than that. But why would corporate sanction an increase to $5k/day, only multiplying store losses for the benefit of churners?) I am going to stay a bit paranoid until someone can explain the business case behind it...
There isn't a successful store in the world that sells a non-clearance product at a loss (unless it's a loss-leader product -- VRs are certainly not a loss-leader). There's your business case right there.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by rdover1

If I saw someone taking them, I would snitch. It's very greedy. Folks in here have posted photos. It's ridiculous.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
If I saw someone taking them, I would snitch. It's very greedy. Folks in here have posted photos. It's ridiculous.

This is one step below the people that hide them....I have found a cache "hidden" under some other gift cards. No way did they get there on their own. So sad....This hobby is not as much fun as it use to be.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:29 pm

Some in the industry have reported (not just on FT) how slim the profit margin is on selling prepaid reloads and it being wiped out by a CC interchange fee paid on say a $500 VR. But lets optimistically assume CVS is compensated $10+ for every $500 VR and their interchange fee is under 2%. If that is the case, then InComm or the prepaid business must be losing the money because we all know $10 in fees per $500 is not collected on the transaction when a churner unloads it. And I wouldn't be surprised if at least 90 out of 100 VR dollars in the country are being churned. I ask the cashiers and there is an occasional 'underbanked' buyer paying some cash for a reload while 20x$500 get cleared from the shelves. I don't see how someone in the business isn't losing money, I doubt it is the party that depends entirely on that activity to make a profit, but I could see a store taking a small loss to allow CC for convenience if it gets you in to buy other high profit items in the store.

Last edited by 3ZeroT; Aug 9, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ramalama8
^^ I'm actually totally fine with the paranoia around here. More for me
Watch out, I'll be in DFW next week for a couple of days .
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Only thing I'll be cutting with a knife anytime soon is my chilean bass on my upcoming SQ flight, TYVM .
And we have a winner for quote of the week!

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.