Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:24 pm

Guys, I dont want to alarm but I noticed a new stack of Vanillas GCs with a holiday them on them (snowflakes I think). What caught my eye was the fact they were $5.95 instead of the normal $4.95.

I'm not sure but we may be seeing the phasing out of the cheaper cards in favor of the more expensive ones like the grocery stores have.

Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Guys, I dont want to alarm but I noticed a new stack of Vanillas GCs with a holiday them on them (snowflakes I think). What caught my eye was the fact they were $5.95 instead of the normal $4.95.

I'm not sure but we may be seeing the phasing out of the cheaper cards in favor of the more expensive ones like the grocery stores have.

Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Yuck
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:07 pm

In CVS?
Do not worry about that. It is not a new thing. I've seen 5.95 Vanilla GCs in other stores before. They usually are right next to 4.95 ones.
The difference is that 5.95 have some special design, i.e. like snowflakes, Anne Something, and so on, so InComm is charging $1 extra for them.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
In CVS?
Do not worry about that. It is not a new thing. I've seen 5.95 Vanilla GCs in other stores before. They usually are right next to 4.95 ones.
The difference is that 5.95 have some special design, i.e. like snowflakes, Anne Something, and so on, so InComm is charging $1 extra for them.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Lol at vagrants reactions.

Yeah, I've seen the same things. I'm assuming it's for the holidays.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I respectfully contest that statement.

It depends on a few factors... primarily what card are you using and the proximity of CVS vs OD+WM. I generally disregard the latter, as long as it's in a 10-15mile radius.

For a cc with no bonus cats and high point value (like SPG), VRs are a good deal but for something like Chase SP/Ink... not so much. Also, cpm using 5x from office store is .67cent whereas it is .78cent from VRs.

However from convenience point of view - VRs all the way.
I think all that is a given...i.e. with all else being equal, VRs are more convenient. I don't think anyone here is going to debate that it is more efficient to buy VRs at CVS if your highest earning card doesn't get pharm bonus.

I interested in what you are using a CSP card for though? AFAIK, CSP is 2x points in dining and travel (restaurants, rental cars, hotels, tickets). So when does it make sense to use CSP when buying GCs at a location where GCs are sold?

Also...remember this is a thread about CVS...so it doesn't really make sense to be discussing cards that don't get good spend bonuses at pharm.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:30 pm

I have seen some slightly disturbing developments at my local CVSs (which haven't restocked VRs in weeks now) but so far still not taking them TOO seriously. By themselves they are nothing but just starting to add up. A couple stores have hung different products now (incl those 5.95 Vanilla Visas, Rush cards, etc.) where the VRs used to always hang. I inquired with a store manager when they'd be getting more VRs and she mentioned CVS is making 'changes' to their GC/prepaids and may not see them coming in anymore. At a different store the manager told me the same thing. Of course I'm sure next week they'll all be restocked with VRs again
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
I have seen some slightly disturbing developments at my local CVSs (which haven't restocked VRs in weeks now) but so far still not taking them TOO seriously. By themselves they are nothing but just starting to add up. A couple stores have hung different products now (incl those 5.95 Vanilla Visas, Rush cards, etc.) where the VRs used to always hang. I inquired with a store manager when they'd be getting more VRs and she mentioned CVS is making 'changes' to their GC/prepaids and may not see them coming in anymore. At a different store the manager told me the same thing. Of course I'm sure next week they'll all be restocked with VRs again
+1, VR's are basically gone from all stores around me. Not pulled from the shelves, just never restocked.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
+1, VR's are basically gone from all stores around me. Not pulled from the shelves, just never restocked.
Well, I have a business trip/CVS run coming up on Friday, or Saturday, where VRs are most always on the rack. Hopefully, I can give a good report.
I do have a Q, for those that are there or go, I have a trip to OGG in October and again in December. There, the Long's Drug Stores are named that, but are really CVS. Can anyone confirm that VRs are there? And available with a CC?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
It could be a trend. I've looked behind these new stacks to see if VR tags are still there and even those have been pulled.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, WN CP, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wise2u
ok after reading these posts I have made my tinfoil hat and am peeking out the windows looking for the black helicopters. As of today $496 is the new $500 for me and my wife...no more DL scans.
If you are going that way, just know that $500 + $499.99 or $499 doesn't necessitate a DL scan...might as well maximize cpm/cpp
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Yeah, I've seen the same things. I'm assuming it's for the holidays.
I feel so much better! Thank you!!!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:08 am

All VR cards gone from 4 stores near me. Only ones I found were on the checkout counter.

So I suspect CVS area manager or worst CVS corporation has decided to pull these off the shelves. Not just a restocking issue simultaneously at so many stores.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Are we all in the same area having this issue? So far the problem appears to be in the southeast and in the Boston area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.