Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:54 pm

My local CVS cashier is so used to this by now that he volunteers to ring up multiple transactions so as to avoid DL scan. But I need to find more uses of VRs as I have access to many but can't/don't really use them after BB $5K/mo limit.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:36 am

Went into a CVS in LV yesterday. Place was stocked with VR. I bought one on my CC and then asked the cashier the daily limit... which prompted a call to the manager to ask how much. That ended that quickly. No CC anywhere in LV, as far as I can tell.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
I found a store in VA today around DC that was stocked well. Grabbed 4 cards, made one purchase and all went well. Now, I have to wait til the 1st to do it again...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Time Away
I found a store in VA today around DC that was stocked well. Grabbed 4 cards, made one purchase and all went well. Now, I have to wait til the 1st to do it again...
You better not be poaching my spot! I have two relatively undiscovered sources in the DMV.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 1:01 pm

I hit a different store for each purchase within the month if possible. Besides, there were plenty of cards. Who knows, maybe I'll see ya purchasing one day. I have yet to see anyone buying VRs while I'm there.

I wish the airport stores would carry these. It would make it much more convenient to pick some up.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:41 pm

Curious to know where it is. Certainly nowhere near me as I have check every store within a reasonable distance of home(8 stores) and only one had a few that someone had hidden and those are now gone. Up until 2 weeks ago 4 of them had a steady supply of them. I talked to a couple of managers and they both said they believed they were not being discontinued and that they heard there was some distribution issue related to Incomm redesigning the cards.

I hit a different store for each purchase within the month if possible. Besides, there were plenty of cards. Who knows, maybe I'll see ya purchasing one day. I have yet to see anyone buying VRs while I'm there.

I wish the airport stores would carry these. It would make it much more convenient to pick some up.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by pointnoob
Curious to know where it is. Certainly nowhere near me as I have check every store within a reasonable distance of home(8 stores) and only one had a few that someone had hidden and those are now gone. Up until 2 weeks ago 4 of them had a steady supply of them. I talked to a couple of managers and they both said they believed they were not being discontinued and that they heard there was some distribution issue related to Incomm redesigning the cards.
My last 4 stores:
Gaithersburg, MD
Poolesville, MD
Gainesville, MD
Haymarket, VA
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
see if you can find this one too...

http://lagunitas.com/#
their IPA is my favorite. Maybe i'll go hunt one down right now...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
All my usual spots have been poached
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by samosa
All my usual spots have been poached
Um. Thanks?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:02 pm

That makes sense that is pretty far out of the way for a lot of people. Have those locations restocked at all in the last 2 weeks because that seems to be the problem in northern Virginia - no new stock coming in.

My last 4 stores:
Gaithersburg, MD
Poolesville, MD
Gainesville, MD
Haymarket, VA
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by pointnoob
That makes sense that is pretty far out of the way for a lot of people. Have those locations restocked at all in the last 2 weeks because that seems to be the problem in northern Virginia - no new stock coming in.
I couldn't really tell if they had restocked. One store pulled a new pack from the back. All the cards are still the old version. I have purchased the newer versions before, just not in this area. So it may be a warehouse/restocking issue.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:36 pm

Had a fun trip to an out of the way cvs today heading back from out of town. Place was loaded with VR, grabbed a stack, went to pay, cashier said $1k limit, I was like okay, I think recent cvs update allows more, but if so the 2 cards are fine. So she goes and asks manager, he says I'll check you out. Dude was on a total power trip, literally comparing my dl to name on my card letter for letter. Then he says, I need to check your DL under the blacklight (wth) in the back at the prescription counter. I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have, it could have been a scanner he was using. So we walk back up to the front, then he says "I'm choosing to decline this transaction because it seems suspicious." Wasn't happy, but didn't want to make a scene, I don't have a problem with him choosing not to sell that much, but don't waste my time by doing multiple verification checks and then decline to sell. Definitely had this Fed wannabe attitude haha. Make for an entertaining trip in any case.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bluerunningsocks
Had a fun trip to an out of the way cvs today heading back from out of town. Place was loaded with VR, grabbed a stack, went to pay, cashier said $1k limit, I was like okay, I think recent cvs update allows more, but if so the 2 cards are fine. So she goes and asks manager, he says I'll check you out. Dude was on a total power trip, literally comparing my dl to name on my card letter for letter. Then he says, I need to check your DL under the blacklight (wth) in the back at the prescription counter. I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have, it could have been a scanner he was using. So we walk back up to the front, then he says "I'm choosing to decline this transaction because it seems suspicious." Wasn't happy, but didn't want to make a scene, I don't have a problem with him choosing not to sell that much, but don't waste my time by doing multiple verification checks and then decline to sell. Definitely had this Fed wannabe attitude haha. Make for an entertaining trip in any case.
Sounds like that cvs mgr is a dweeb with a pole up the wrong... Well in that situation i bring out my passport id card and ss card and then a medical card and three more ccs and a pic of my kids and wife and i and toss it all on the counter and look the arswipe square in the eye and say, now if you are calling me a fraud ill have yer job...

Cant hurt to at least make em sweat a little seeing as how youre probably sunk anyway
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Plenty of VRs at several of my stores in Charlotte. If anyone lives here and wants to discuss ideas, shoot me a PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.