Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ashap
Definitely not 2k per day, just per transaction. I did 2k w/ID scan, then immediately 1k w/ID scan.

Cashier acknowledged 5k per day still lives on, but system only allowed him 2k in 1 transaction.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for clarifying. I never buy more than $2k/day anyway since only my spouse and I have Bluebirds, so I don't have to worry about the rolling 24-hour period at that rate.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I bought $1500 on 1-1-14 and no problem, I'll being buying another $1500 today. I'm glad none of the stores I go to have gotten this memo or any other one.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by horseymen
Adding data points to a couple of previous discussions: Live in Texas, vacationing in Las Vegas - 1st of the month, wanted to get some spending in. Went to one on the strip, bought 2k - no problem but they do have a different system, needed to call a number to get authorization, had to talk to Chase - but still, no problem.

Went to two other ones in Henderson and had the cops called on me (didn't stick around long enoguh to talk) - was called a fraud for even attempting it, and had a guy try to confiscate my license. Store A who rejected me apparently called Store B that was next up on the road and said I would likely be coming.

I'm aware of the general consensus that you shouldn't call - but I feel morally obligated to call the general manager and give them a piece of my mind. I don't mind them rejecting the transaction (and I wasn't arguing) - but to immediately upon my trip to the register accuse me of fraud and try to confiscate my license and come out and take a picture of my car crosses the line of what a normal front line employee should be doing with someone who is voluntarily giving a license. If they want to reject a transaction - fine -- but I will at least chew someone's tush for that level of treatment.
Lets see how this may be interpreted by a non-MS individual:
A) An out of state resident who is getting lots of VR,
B) in a gambling area which is a hotbed for crime
seems very very suspicious.
They sure get their good number of johns over there but that is not an excuse for the behavior of those employees or the manager. They should have refused the sale politely if they felt something was not right. Granted, I am not sure if an argument followed or you tried to "educate" the employee. ( I never engage but smile and leave )

I guess this is part of the wonderful world of MS. I wouldn't take it personally but leave it alone. Not your town anyway.

Last edited by lacuadra; Jan 2, 2014 at 1:47 am
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:36 am

Last month I purchased $1,500 of VR's in one transaction, and yesterday I purchased $2,500 in a single transaction. Both times my driver's license was scanned, which I realize is the general rule for purchases over $1K.

Does anyone think the DL scans are an issue, or might come back to bite me?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TTT103
Does anyone think the DL scans are an issue, or might come back to bite me?
How is it going to bite you later ? It's just a way to protect them of fraud.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
How is it going to bite you later ? It's just a way to protect them of fraud.
I'm alright with these countermeasures as long as it keeps the game going. Never understood the apprehension of some with the DL scan.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
I'm guessing that some worry that having DL and credit card related information in the "secure" databases of even a large company could result in financial and/or identity theft trouble down the road.

I'm all for CVS protecting itself against fraud, but there's an argument that the way CVS does that might make its honest customers more vulnerable to fraud in the process.

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
I'm alright with these countermeasures as long as it keeps the game going. Never understood the apprehension of some with the DL scan.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by mrp20
I'm guessing that some worry that having DL and credit card related information in the "secure" databases of even a large company could result in financial and/or identity theft trouble down the road.

I'm all for CVS protecting itself against fraud, but there's an argument that the way CVS does that might make its honest customers more vulnerable to fraud in the process.
nothing to do with fraud, just keeping track of your purchases (high rollers), but Yes, identity theft trouble down the road.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:55 am

I'm completely fine if their sole intent is to protect them self from fraud. However, it's the unknown that concerns me with respect to them tracking my purchases for other reasons.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
nothing to do with fraud, just keeping track of your purchases (high rollers), but Yes, identity theft trouble down the road.
Please provide your evidence that CVS collecting info has nothing to do with fraud, and is instead to track "high rollers."

I haven't been following the thread super close for a while, so feel free to point to other posts that back up this claim.

Things that don't count as evidence:

1 - What a CVS employee told you (short of a written response from an Executive member).
2 - Your paranoia
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by TTT103
I'm completely fine if their sole intent is to protect them self from fraud. However, it's the unknown that concerns me with respect to them tracking my purchases for other reasons.
They've been doing the DL scans for 5 months now, and I haven't read reports of any issues on the CVS side. Furthermore, I think if you're in this category you're more vigilant of your credit than most people to assist with app-o-ramas, so we're not good targets for ID theft.

Quit worrying about the mechanics of buying VRs so much and being anxious over nothing. You quickly get over the awkward feeling, and may even build a bit of a rapport with your local cashiers. If you're acting anxious, then the cashier might get nervous too. Sure, we are likely way above the median transaction value, but there's no reason why your VR purchases can't be as routine as buying chips and a soft drink.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I bought $1500 on 1-1-14 and no problem, I'll being buying another $1500 today. I'm glad none of the stores I go to have gotten this memo or any other one.
But $1500 would have been allowed regardless. This is only for transactions above 2k. Still no problem going up to 5k, but a transaction limit seems to be in place for some of us.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ashap
But $1500 would have been allowed regardless. This is only for transactions above 2k. Still no problem going up to 5k, but a transaction limit seems to be in place for some of us.
Dont you mean irregardless?

Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:15 am

There is nothing illegal about purchasing VR's or gift cards with a credit card, but is there anything to be concerned with in terms of structuring or money laundering, given the quantities some people do?

I generally purchase $500 at a pop, but that has become cumbersome.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
No laundering involved whatsoever. Any store clerk who thinks so is uneducated and overzealous. Bring a printout of the definition of laundering with you when you shop and slap it on the counter and ask if you do any of those things.

I also shut those types up when i run into them by having more than one form of id out before they even ask.

As for structuring, milesabound's advice seems solid:

Once and a while, purposely do a huge transaction so that in your history you can show times when you clearly went up higher and are thus never trying to hide anything. It just happens to be what you actually want to buy most times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.