Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:31 pm

New year in Chicago area CVS appears a happy one.
Vanilla reloads fully stocked in many CVS.
Stores allow purchase of upto 10 cards per day and also allow splitting total amount over multiple credit cards.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by nuclfusion
I was hit with a new cashier this week. Did my thing, scanned DL, and all that good stuff. His response to my bird feed? "If you would have added another VR, it would have been my largest transaction ever."

Our transactions are probably 100x+ the average, excluding pharmacy purchases. However, I have seen people treat CVS as a supermarket and buy a shopping cart full of groceries (without ExtraCare coupons). That can't be economical with their markup on most products.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Thats true only if a person is loading their BB or Serve with them. If like me you load other DCs then youd be heading to Wally anyway.

Then what do you do once you are done feeding your birds for the month, either take a vacation or hello Wally

Then some folks dont load their AMEXs at all with VRs
The poster said that One Vanillas load to BB just as easy as a VR. My point was that they don't because you have to make a trip to Walmart instead of just visiting the VR website.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Just took 10 VRs up to the counter and was told that there's a new policy starting today limiting purchases to $2000. She acknowledged that it was $5000, but that she had received a "memo." I bought my 4 cards and went on my way. I didn't push back, but I'm skeptical. Anyone else hear any such tales today?

xlax
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by xlax
Just took 10 VRs up to the counter and was told that there's a new policy starting today limiting purchases to $2000. She acknowledged that it was $5000, but that she had received a "memo." I bought my 4 cards and went on my way. I didn't push back, but I'm skeptical. Anyone else hear any such tales today?

xlax
Yep same here, the computer stopped my cashier at 2k, but he said he just needed to break up the transactions.

This store is very well versed in the VR process. So I'm inclined to believe a new procedure has been put in place, at least in my area.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by ashap
Yep same here, the computer stopped my cashier at 2k, but he said he just needed to break up the transactions.

This store is very well versed in the VR process. So I'm inclined to believe a new procedure has been put in place, at least in my area.
I assume this is still in a rolling 24-hour period?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:15 pm

Adding data points to a couple of previous discussions: Live in Texas, vacationing in Las Vegas - 1st of the month, wanted to get some spending in. Went to one on the strip, bought 2k - no problem but they do have a different system, needed to call a number to get authorization, had to talk to Chase - but still, no problem.

Went to two other ones in Henderson and had the cops called on me (didn't stick around long enoguh to talk) - was called a fraud for even attempting it, and had a guy try to confiscate my license. Store A who rejected me apparently called Store B that was next up on the road and said I would likely be coming.

I'm aware of the general consensus that you shouldn't call - but I feel morally obligated to call the general manager and give them a piece of my mind. I don't mind them rejecting the transaction (and I wasn't arguing) - but to immediately upon my trip to the register accuse me of fraud and try to confiscate my license and come out and take a picture of my car crosses the line of what a normal front line employee should be doing with someone who is voluntarily giving a license. If they want to reject a transaction - fine -- but I will at least chew someone's tush for that level of treatment.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:15 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:11 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:17 pm

I purchase in 2 cities, Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Since the 5k change was implemented, all locations in Chicago have limited to 5k, while Pittsburgh has been evenly split the some locations enforcing 2k, some 5k - even though the system allowed up to 5,000 at all.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by debtinator

Since the 5k change was implemented, all locations in Chicago have limited to 5k, while Pittsburgh has been evenly split the some locations enforcing 2k, some 5k - even though the system allowed up to 5,000 at all.
Did you try a Chicago location today? My CVS said this was implemented today.

I am also right near the company headquarters so I wonder if stores in my general region don't get the "new" processes first.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xlax

xlax
2 different CVs in NJ, 1st $1k max per day, did 2 transctions for $500 each. 2nd store said $1k max and only 1 transction is allowed per day.They are apx 10 mins from 1 another

Everything is still normal = each store and employee will do as they please
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:53 pm

2 different CVs in NJ, 1st $1k max per day, did 2 transctions for $500 each. 2nd store said $1k max and only 1 transction is allowed per day.They are apx 10 mins from 1 another

Sure, but your transactions wouldn't hit this limit. Since no ID was swiped at the first location, your running total in the system would be $1k. The two other posters were stopped trying to buy more than $2k. What I'm curious about is whether the limit has been reduced to $2k per 24 hours or if the limit is still $5k per 24 hours and $2k per transaction?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by debtinator

Which locations in Pittsburgh do you frequent? I've since moved out of the area, but the Shadyside location was always out of stock about a year ago. I tried a few others that were all out of stock as well. Wilkinsburg had a few, but they didn't restock, and I got a "cash only" from the cashier at Monroeville. I got discouraged and didn't pick up the hobby again until I moved.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Quote:

Sure, but your transactions wouldn't hit this limit. Since no ID was swiped at the first location, your running total in the system would be $1k. The two other posters were stopped trying to buy more than $2k. What I'm curious about is whether the limit has been reduced to $2k per 24 hours or if the limit is still $5k per 24 hours and $2k per transaction?
Definitely not 2k per day, just per transaction. I did 2k w/ID scan, then immediately 1k w/ID scan.

Cashier acknowledged 5k per day still lives on, but system only allowed him 2k in 1 transaction.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:12 pm

I was told today at a CVS in central NJ that multiple VR transactions were prohibited due to new policy. He acknowledged that I could buy up to $5k a day but said I'd have to do it all in one transaction. I was going to do two $1k purchases on different cards and ended up just doing one $1k purchase (with drivers license scan).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.