Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by BenH
Do you know how many gift cards are purchased with stolen credit cards?

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...ret_servi.html

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/...plex_cred.html

etc, etc...

The stores themselves would *love* for you to pay in cash only - if it wasn't for those pesky reporting requirements. While cash is great for a store - massive amounts of it are a red flag that money laundering is going on. And while the store itself doesn't care, the government does, and the store needs to play ball.

Stolen credit cards are easier to produce than any decent counterfeit monies. The stores *absolutely* have a reason to be wary of large purchases on CC.

That being said, CVS new system of scanning DLs *could conceivably* cut down on this.
I don't know exactly how their system is configured however. If it actually has a link to the DMV to confirm the data is accurate, then it is all but foolproof (you would either need to hack the DMV, or else inject false data into the connection).
I don't think however that it connects to the DMV. I think it just reads the info off the license barcode to store it for reporting/tracking purposes.

Since many states DL numbers follow easy algorithms, it would be very easy to also make a fake DL. Even if they had one linked to the DMV, I could still create a fake driver's license with all your info and just put my face on it.

http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/index.html
Of course I know that... Anything can be stolen, forged or obtained nowadays. The credit card could be stolen or counterfeit money could be used... that is a probability in every transaction. We are arguing two different things. I say, when all things being equal, CC provide more traceable evidence.

But you and I agree that a 5k VR purchase is not normal at a CVS store even if it seems normal to FT heavy rollers. ( I hear the replies coming...)

The Feds are not interested in PoorJoe buying VR to obtain airline miles. They are more interested in PusherJoe trying to launder low grade drug sales to a more viable instrument. The big ones wear suit and ties and are usually left alone.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by arsenalman
Doesnt the clerk ask why you are ringing up 500 per transaction? What do you say to them - "ring these 6 cards separately?" Right now i do 2 separately and a few of them have raised an eyebrow on why its separate. Honestly, i do it because i dont like getting the DL scanned.
While we should have the right to carry on through life with honesty but be able to be anonymous, we find we live in an age where, if you tell them that, they instantly think you are up to something. SAD INDEED!

It is up to us to continously challenge that notion.

Originally Posted by forextrader
MM - always enjoy reading your posts.

And from a die-hard, Bronx Boy, Yankees fan, my congrats on the Red Sox winning the Series.

A fantastic turn around by the organisation. As much as there is rivalry between NY and Boston - it pales in comparison to here in England between Manchester United and Liverpool (now owned by the Red Sox owner John Henry). Here they take this stuff VERY VERY seriously.

It is quite a coincidence that after years of under-performing, and Manchester winning many titles, Liverpool have turned things around, and are having a very good season so far - while United are only just average so far.

Once again, congrats to Boston - will be there on Monday for some CHOWDA
Thanks fox!! Yah it was a great team this year and now we can play normal ball out there lol.

if I am around on Monday--and sometimes I get down into the city of BOS itself, then maybe we should meet up. PM me if you think it's doable. I cant say I can yet but worth a shot. Depends on our schedules.

Originally Posted by mikeef
It won't be the last. You're gonna have to trust me on that one.

Those last couple were actually short ones for him.

Mike
I actually ran the NYC Marathon in 2002 and was on the commonly known "runner's High" when I came up with the name and joined FT. I also go on a lot, for those who havent noticed... ask Mike. He has for some reason continued to invite me to the BOS DOs and had to deal with it

Originally Posted by lacuadra
Absolutely. And I believe you are one of the most knowledgeable members of FT.

We are not committing a crime. If so, we should be the dumbest criminals out there, to leave all kinds of traces by using credit cards. So I say walk into CVS or any store with an honest attitude, a firm voice and nothing to hide. We are purchasing a legal document with legal ID and verifiable US funds.

CVS has it all wrong, they should be wary of those customers who buy lots of VR with cash, and on the contrary, they should welcome customers who purchase VR with credit cards. The point is, the managers are too scared of the feds and see any large transaction as problematic.

I firmly follow the school of education and kindness. Usually that works like a charm!
Thanks lacuadra! That was kind. But I am merely just one more seasoned vet of doing this stuff who makes the same mistakes and suffers the same pitfalls as the rest of us. I am not a 22 year old pitcher but I can go 7 long

Originally Posted by BenH
Do you know how many gift cards are purchased with stolen credit cards?

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...ret_servi.html

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/...plex_cred.html

etc, etc...

The stores themselves would *love* for you to pay in cash only - if it wasn't for those pesky reporting requirements. While cash is great for a store - massive amounts of it are a red flag that money laundering is going on. And while the store itself doesn't care, the government does, and the store needs to play ball.

Stolen credit cards are easier to produce than any decent counterfeit monies. The stores *absolutely* have a reason to be wary of large purchases on CC.

That being said, CVS new system of scanning DLs *could conceivably* cut down on this.
I don't know exactly how their system is configured however. If it actually has a link to the DMV to confirm the data is accurate, then it is all but foolproof (you would either need to hack the DMV, or else inject false data into the connection).
I don't think however that it connects to the DMV. I think it just reads the info off the license barcode to store it for reporting/tracking purposes.

Since many states DL numbers follow easy algorithms, it would be very easy to also make a fake DL. Even if they had one linked to the DMV, I could still create a fake driver's license with all your info and just put my face on it.

http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/index.html
What if all you have on you is one of those state IDs or a US Passport or passport ID card? I once let CVS try to scan the Passport ID card and they could not, so the clerk shrugged and gave me the VRs anyway.

I think it all comes down to assumed liability.

If CVS or any company KNOWINGLY sells to a criminal or a scammer with fake cards, then they can get into trouble. But now it's been twisted whereas: If the store sells to someone with presumed ill intent or suspicious activity, then they can get into trouble, or the lower staff can.

Who let them take out the important parts of that? The thing is, they all are worried about getting in trouble and then losing their jobs. So if they sell to someone and it is not right--even if they did EVERYTHING correctly (checked ID, checked CCs, etc) but the person turns out to be a scammer, then sadly there are actually jerks within the organization that will still seek termination of that employee!

So that's the problem.

It once happened to me... I was a bar tender in the mid 90s in a ski town and I checked a guys ID and served him a beer. I even used to make IDs in college so hey it looked fine to me--after all I should know. So in the eyes of anyone there, I did my job by checking and using my judgement to think the ID was sound and the guy was legit. But someone there knew him and knew he was under age. Being a small town, this got back to the owner who later got on my case and said how he could get in trouble with the liquor commission, yadda yadda. I was told to take a few days off and thus lost money from no work and I was threatened with losing my job. Not fair. That said, the owner was a dick so I left anyway and didn't look back, and so it comes down to who is cool and who is not. I had more pride than to want to stick around working with a bad boss. More people--CVS employees included--should do that and then maybe such stores would treat their good people better. Then again who do I kid?...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:01 pm

I say, when all things being equal, CC provide more traceable evidence.
Upto a point, venders to CCs process, yes, but since CCCs do not seem to care where or how or who makes payments...other than them getting paid with MOs or branch pay with MOs or cash...please notice that I didn't say "banks" just in case somebody wants to say something about it. Also, I've heard of "itemized" list CCCs can get on a cardholder's account, but I just don't know about that.

Last edited by vagrants; Oct 31, 2013 at 8:10 pm
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:13 pm

I went into my local CVS last week to purchase $7.5K in VR. I did two $2500 transactions and five $500 transactions. I know all of the cashiers in both stores from many months of buying VR and couponing extravaganzas. I began telling her why I was purchasing so many and she thought it was the neatest thing ever! She apparently received a phone call that night from corporate (in Florida?!) saying she should not have allowed me to purchase so many cards due to possible fraud. She also had to pull the video from the surveillance and send it to them. Maybe I'll be on America's Most Wanted or something, lol. She and I were joking about how crazy it was tonight with the manager (I was buying $5k more).
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by calwatch
The cashier scanned my ID but the register seems to be timing out this morning for some reason. Is this one of those intermittent things or is there something more sinister? I haven't been to any other CVSs today.
I hope it's just the system having an issue today. I went to two different CVS' today and had the same thing happen
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by rossrr
I went into my local CVS last week to purchase $7.5K in VR. I did two $2500 transactions and five $500 transactions. I know all of the cashiers in both stores from many months of buying VR and couponing extravaganzas. I began telling her why I was purchasing so many and she thought it was the neatest thing ever! She apparently received a phone call that night from corporate (in Florida?!) saying she should not have allowed me to purchase so many cards due to possible fraud. She also had to pull the video from the surveillance and send it to them. Maybe I'll be on America's Most Wanted or something, lol. She and I were joking about how crazy it was tonight with the manager (I was buying $5k more).
People, stop trying to blatantly skirt the $5k limits. It's a generous limit and openly trying to violate it increases the likelihood that CVS will decide it's not worth the hassle of dealing with us altogether.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rrgg
I don't understand why someone is buying $499.99 or $999.99 purchases. Just follow their rules and don't try to skirt around anything.

It reminds me of structuring. If you're making a bank deposit, you'll draw less attention by making 1 deposit than to try to break it up into several smaller ones.
The DL scan at one CVS I visit often doesn't work. The manager recommended I do $999.99 so I could buy 2 but skirt the scan.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: United, Hilton, National
The Feds are not interested in PoorJoe buying VR to obtain airline miles. They are more interested in PusherJoe trying to launder low grade drug sales to a more viable instrument. The big ones wear suit and ties and are usually left alone.
And of course, just to re-state, there are more than just those two scenarios playing out. The store is also worried about ThiefJoe who swiped a CC and is trying to clean out as much value from it in as short a time as possible.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arsenalman
Doesnt the clerk ask why you are ringing up 500 per transaction? What do you say to them - "ring these 6 cards separately?" Right now i do 2 separately and a few of them have raised an eyebrow on why its separate. Honestly, i do it because i dont like getting the DL scanned.
I believe they do, most clerks don't care, never once have I been asked why am doing it this way (now watch I'll get asked.)
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
I hope it's just the system having an issue today. I went to two different CVS' today and had the same thing happen
Man, the same thing is happening to me. Could only buy one because it wouldn't let me buy more than $1000 after a driver license scan brought an error message. Hope this isn't a start of something new, but rather a very temporary glitch.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I always get asked why I do this stuff. I just say: "Well you know, drugs, trafficing, laundering... that sort of thing. And oh, here's my ID--I am giving you the real one day haha."

And this makes them all chuckle and all works out fine. At least it has every time I have done that.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
People, stop trying to blatantly skirt the $5k limits. It's a generous limit and openly trying to violate it increases the likelihood that CVS will decide it's not worth the hassle of dealing with us altogether.
Lets make sure you fully understand what you are saying. If CVS really wanted to limited 1K or 5K/day limits then each transaction would require a DL scan. CVS is looking for the people who are making large SINGLE transaction. Having me doing single transaction of $503.95 is not breaking any rules. So I'll continue to "blatantly skirt" the 5K limit as long as CVS allows me to do it.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Lets make sure you fully understand what you are saying. If CVS really wanted to limited 1K or 5K/day limits then each transaction would require a DL scan. CVS is looking for the people who are making large SINGLE transaction. Having me doing single transaction of $503.95 is not breaking any rules. So I'll continue to "blatantly skirt" the 5K limit as long as CVS allows me to do it.
People would not be happy if they tried to buy a $25 GC in CVS and they were required to hand over their license. They have to choose a cutoff, and $1k is it, but clearly the whole point is to limit purchases to $5k/day. Why else would the system add up your purchases across stores? That's the ENTIRE point -- what else would it be? And that's why many stores have been instructed not to break up transactions as you're doing.

Good for you if your store lets you skirt the rules..but make no mistake, CVS corporate does not want you to do that.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I started buying VRs again today for the first of the month, and one of the nearby stores is carrying the new style with many more logos. Does anybody think this version is too fragile? I have a hard time scratching off the security strip on the 2nd generation cards, so I have always used a pair of scissors without problem until today. On the newest style of cards, I almost scratched off the PIN too. Fortunately I was able to recover before irreversible damage was done.

Also of concern was that it seemed as though the sides of the scratch off security strip had started to chip away. At first I thought I thought someone had tampered with the cards, but all 10 numbers were there on both.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I started buying VRs again today for the first of the month, and one of the nearby stores is carrying the new style with many more logos. Does anybody think this version is too fragile? I have a hard time scratching off the security strip on the 2nd generation cards, so I have always used a pair of scissors without problem until today. On the newest style of cards, I almost scratched off the PIN too. Fortunately I was able to recover before irreversible damage was done.

Also of concern was that it seemed as though the sides of the scratch off security strip had started to chip away. At first I thought I thought someone had tampered with the cards, but all 10 numbers were there on both.
I just use a credit card so scratch off the strip, usually my BB card. Never had an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.