Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut
My exact problem... But it's a good problem to have!
Doesn't BlueBird have a $5k limit per month?? What do you do with cards above that? The cards have monthly fees associated right?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cherdimus
Doesn't BlueBird have a $5k limit per month?? What do you do with cards above that? The cards have monthly fees associated right?
Yup, so currently I have $5k ready to load 1/1/2014. Unfortunately I do not have another outlet for Vanilla Reloads.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by raccah
My usual store is still OK with 5K a day. Now my secondary store is finicky, as usual, when you have a PITA checker, go to the pharmacy - they are far more forgiving and less of a PITA.

Happy shopping!
How do you get around the 5k Bluebird limit??
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:53 pm

netspend can liquidate VR
4.95 to activate your prepaid once

$2 per money order purchased with it.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by arsenalman
I have been slacking off this month and have only hit the 50% mark for my BB accounts. Now i come on and find out that many CVS are cash only on this product. Great - the one month i slack off and now i will need to buy GCs to bridge the rest. I am usually done by now for the month. Idiot!!!!
Can you PM me about multiple BB accounts? That's how you get over 5k limit..? Please! TIA
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
Bought $10k today in the mid-west. No problem.
How do you deposit all of it?? I have a 5k limit with BB...
Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Can you PM me about multiple BB accounts? That's how you get over 5k limit..? Please! TIA
Do your research.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:08 pm

Does anyone know if there is an official (Hopefully published) Policy from CVS on selling Vanilla Reload cards?
Every time I go the manage refuses to sell me Vanilla Reloads with credit card, but is willing to sell me Vanilla Visa GC with a CC. Any ideas on official corporate policy?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by xoxx
Does anyone know if there is an official (Hopefully published) Policy from CVS on selling Vanilla Reload cards?
Every time I go the manage refuses to sell me Vanilla Reloads with credit card, but is willing to sell me Vanilla Visa GC with a CC. Any ideas on official corporate policy?
Sadly its often store or manager or clerk centric

You could get one with a cc at another cvs and then show the receipt to this cvs but they may say something totally annoying and wrong like, well they are doing it wrong and our policy is no cc.

Or they could be like one cvs i have in my town where they are convinced it breaks federal law to sell over $1k vr or gc per person per day. I showed them a $5k receipt (yes im doing them now) and the clerk said the above comment... Well that store and any like it is breaking state law!

I said, I thought you said federal. Her reponse; same thing sir.

Next

I left and just dont visit that store unless i just need like one
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Sadly its often store or manager or clerk centric

You could get one with a cc at another cvs and then show the receipt to this cvs but they may say something totally annoying and wrong like, well they are doing it wrong and our policy is no cc.

Or they could be like one cvs i have in my town where they are convinced it breaks federal law to sell over $1k vr or gc per person per day. I showed them a $5k receipt (yes im doing them now) and the clerk said the above comment... Well that store and any like it is breaking state law!

I said, I thought you said federal. Her reponse; same thing sir.

Next

I left and just dont visit that store unless i just need like one
I am going to call CVS corporate tomorrow and record the phone call and get them to give me a straight up answer. Will obviously inform them I am recording the call, and will post it here if I get a good answer from them.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Would be better if people didnt do that
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Would be better if people didnt do that
why is that?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I am going to call CVS corporate tomorrow and record the phone call and get them to give me a straight up answer. Will obviously inform them I am recording the call, and will post it here if I get a good answer from them.
Please do not call. You just make them shut it down altogether. Please !
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:02 pm

^I think that's a good idea but do not be argumentative, hang up and redial until U find the one who says what U like, do not record yet, then get specific about the store and give address have them speak to the manager, If it goes your way call back and ask if you can get policy emailed to U for other stores when U come across one.
I am not very optimistic but U will have clarification, I think corporate has given each manager discretion about these matters (imho).
Suggestion: we can create/have a list somewhere of such stores! (blacklist)
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:07 pm

why is that?
Rules 1-10 of MS: Do not call.

Seriously, please remember that everyone here is exploiting various loopholes. I don't understand how entitled people get about these things. Take what you can get and be thankful.

If a local employee or manager does not want to sell you something in their store, that's their prerogative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.