Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:31 am

I tried buying 2500 today at my usual store to test this out and sure enough a popup on the register came when trying to buy the 5th card. The clerk closed it before I could read it, but looks like 2K is the new transaction limit. I didn't want to try two transactions. Funny I just bought 3K worth last night and didn't see the popup.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Dont you mean irregardless?

I prefer "disregardless"
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by dailow
I tried buying 2500 today at my usual store to test this out and sure enough a popup on the register came when trying to buy the 5th card. The clerk closed it before I could read it, but looks like 2K is the new transaction limit. I didn't want to try two transactions. Funny I just bought 3K worth last night and didn't see the popup.
Bought $3K yesterday in one go. No probs.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:59 pm

Thanks, Marathon.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
Consistently using the same round numbers should be avoided.
Specifically, the banks look for the same transaction total at the same store as possible fraud when done some (proprietary) close unit of time apart. Morning and afternoon might not be a problem, especially if you've done it before.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Today at two CVS in PA, around 12.30 PM regiser screen said SYSTEM PROBLEMS TRY LATER.....anyone had that problem today ?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Bought $5,000 today. no problem.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, United Silver, SPG, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Relieved to see these reports of success at CVS. Just tonight, for the first time ever, a clerk at CVS said I had to pay for Vanilla Reload with cash or debit. Never saw this clerk before, and decided not to argue the point. After reading CVS has not changed its policy, tomorrow I'll go back to CVS to try again with a different clerk.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:13 pm

I received a call today from the friendly shift manager at the CVS nearest my house letting me know that the VRs came in today and they were holding some behind the counter for me (these ARE IN ADDITION TO the ones hanging on the rack).
Stopped in on my way home, bought $5K (1 transaction) and on my merry way in less than 5 minutes - which includes chit-chat with the cashier asking her about college life, her holidays, etc. And it also includes buying her some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Being nice to them and small gestures of appreciation have really helped me with my monthly loads. The store manager and most of the cashiers have asked me about my purchases and I have been totally honest and have even offered to help them if they want to try it. With the ulterior motive of hoping to glean some inside CVS info
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
I'm with you crews1. I have the same kind of built up relationship and love it. it pays dividends and then some.

Originally Posted by crews1
I received a call today from the friendly shift manager at the CVS nearest my house letting me know that the VRs came in today and they were holding some behind the counter for me (these ARE IN ADDITION TO the ones hanging on the rack).
Stopped in on my way home, bought $5K (1 transaction) and on my merry way in less than 5 minutes - which includes chit-chat with the cashier asking her about college life, her holidays, etc. And it also includes buying her some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Being nice to them and small gestures of appreciation have really helped me with my monthly loads. The store manager and most of the cashiers have asked me about my purchases and I have been totally honest and have even offered to help them if they want to try it. With the ulterior motive of hoping to glean some inside CVS info
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by HMPS
Today at two CVS in PA, around 12.30 PM regiser screen said SYSTEM PROBLEMS TRY LATER.....anyone had that problem today ?
I bought $1k at two different locations in the Philadelphia area today around 3pm, and there were no system issues.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by rdover1
I'm with you crews1. I have the same kind of built up relationship and love it. it pays dividends and then some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crews1

They deal with ridiculous customers who think they are entitled to set merchandise prices and discounts. Not only that but I have seen nasty customers who humiliate these employees without mercy.

A nice gesture here and there, a smile an a great attitude builds rapport quickly. Never fails!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:57 am

Went to my regular CVS this morning in DFW only to find all the VRs pulled from the shelf I didn't ask about them as for some reason almost everytime I buy them the clerks act like they've never seen them before and are clueless. I've been using this location for over a year and they consistently have 20-30 cards in stock. Hoping just a fluke...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by nic3456
Went to my regular CVS this morning in DFW only to find all the VRs pulled from the shelf I didn't ask about them as for some reason almost everytime I buy them the clerks act like they've never seen them before and are clueless. I've been using this location for over a year and they consistently have 20-30 cards in stock. Hoping just a fluke...
Did they have the 2nd or 3rd version of these when they had them? The local stores here were almost all out of stock in December but this month they're fully stocked with the new version. Perhaps your store is just doing the changeover. ^
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:09 am

STL datapoint -
one of my infrequent stops told me that I could only buy one VR for $500 today. She said "it used to be $2000, then $1000, now $500. I think they're concerned about fraud or something." this location is right on the edge of the city. I'll go and try another location after work. Frustrating, because I have grown accustomed to walking in and buying 10 at a time now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.