Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Data Point: just hit up my favorite CVS outpost. Of course, an older cashier, had never seen VRs before. She tried, message popped up, went away, went through. BUT system wouldn't scan more than 1 VR per trans. Not a problem with me. But worth noting. Walked out with $1500 as that's all I need for my Chase BA bonus
Where in AZ? I bought 3K tonight in one transaction...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Was at a cvs thurs nite and got $4k vanilla. No issues whatsoever. Is this $2k rule regional or store specific?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Picked up 5k, 3k, and 3k (30 mins ago) over the past 3 days, at 3 different stores without any hassles. Either its a regional issue or a rogue cashier again.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:31 am

Also, the 6 stores around me have always had a decent amount of cards but the 3 I hit the last 3 days are now carrying a stupendous amount of beans. Anyone else noticing this?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by JRV62
Also, the 6 stores around me have always had a decent amount of cards but the 3 I hit the last 3 days are now carrying a stupendous amount of beans. Anyone else noticing this?
My three favorite stores have had an increased number the past few weeks as well.... but OTOH I've never seen one VR at the two stores closest to my house.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Yes, and I easily saw nearly 100 at one of the locations near me that consistently only had about 20-30 in previous months.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:57 am

yes, I wrote a comment about it 2weeks ago.

supply up or demand down? or both

I can see signs of demand down because of 2 reasons

1) not many new credit card application offers

2) MVD is almost ended.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by prasha11

2) MVD is almost ended.
And the CTYP one-year introductory promos ending. The Dividend promo should create demand for this month but come February they'll have to sell these things at a discount to move them.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Wonko
And the CTYP one-year introductory promos ending. The Dividend promo should create demand for this month but come February they'll have to sell these things at a discount to move them.
Not mine, I've got 6 more months!! But I'll take the discount.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Several dozen
Naw, its just the winter storms cutting down on CVS traffic. Brrrrr - it was freezing over in Coral Gables last night when I opened our freezer to get ice cubes.

Originally Posted by prasha11

2) MVD is almost ended.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Naw, its just the winter storms cutting down on CVS traffic. Brrrrr - it was freezing over in Coral Gables last night when I opened our freezer to get ice cubes.
Well said, we got a little cold last night with the top down coming back from CVS in which I bought 5K of beans.....
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Well said, we got a little cold last night with the top down coming back from CVS in which I bought 5K of beans.....
It's also possible people aren't back into their normal routines yet. Wait for the commuters tomorrow to start buying up the beans again.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
I bought 2K of beans today. Cashier calls over the manager, he would only let me do 2K, apparently there is another MSer that goes there too. He was a bit skiddish but 2 is better than none. He felt better after the DL scan though. I'll keep trying there to see how it goes. CVS in Ohio.

Last edited by HansGruber; Jan 5, 2014 at 4:17 pm Reason: Added location
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Ran into something weird tonight: US Bank flagged one of my VR buys, like they do, but then the purchase kept getting rejected. I was on the phone with the rep trying to complete the sale, and she asked me to have the CVS guy punch in the CC numbers. Apparently, the system wouldn't let him do that for a gift card sale. The manager came over and she couldn't either. Weird.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Where in AZ? I bought 3K tonight in one transaction...
Otton-cay ood-way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.