Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
relating to all the above instances being discussed, I have run into the following at many stores... CVS, RA, WG, DR, grocer, etc:

(at anything that comes up over $500)

Store: Sir can we see your ID?
Me: Sure. (and I hand them the card and my ID)

Store: We have had some instances where people have stolen peoples's CCs, then come in here quickly, and bought GCs like the ones you are buying. Then they toss the stolen CCs and take off. All we have is them on camera but they could be wearing a hat or something so you cant even always see who it was.

Then they cash these out --and some know there's a PIN feature so they get the money off quickly, and the person who had their CC stolen is out of luck!

This is why we need to check your ID.

I always have it ready to show and almost WANT the clerk to see it and get a manager so no one is nervous and everything complies. That way there's no question and thus, no issue with some guy (me) buying lots of these GCs.

I do like that some stores do not check so you can sometimes use a GC to buy a GC or PP item, but in general I have no problem if the store has new policies whereas they need to see my ID when I buy over a certain amount. I do NOT like it if they want to photocopy it or write info in some loose binder that could be snagged by anyone, or something like that.
Ive been pulling my DL out along with the CC, most of the time they dont even look at it , just having it ready they said good enough for them, Hey anyone know where I can get some fakes,LoL

Every OS wanted to see it and compared the names on both as do the so called gas stations where some things still may work
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
It is CVS corporate policy that you can purchase all GCs and Reloads (except Green Dots) with a credit card. Any employee or manager telling you otherwise is mistaken. If you want to avoid confrontation then its best to walk away and comeback later. Many ppl here would encourage you to do just that. If you want to put that store in check and have them follow the rules from here on out then one way is to let CVS's 1-800 customer care know that this particular store is not complying wih policy. Often times the customer care rep will call the manager on duty at the store in question and inform then of the policy. You will be able to purchase immedaitely after that. I have had to do this on 3 different occassions at 3 different stores. Each time i have requested a formal complaint be filed which manadates that a district manager call you back within a few days. During those conversations i was assured me that i am able to purchase these products with a credit card. I have had no issues with these stores since then.

When they say you cant buy wih a CC its not to be total d*cks but a way of preventing CC fraud. Only customers with legitimate business with these products will go through the extra ordinary step of calling them out on it and filing a complaint. Of course, once they start following the rules they will most likely follow it to the letter (i.e. 1k a day).

Good Luck
Hey KYBOSH, I tried your idea, because this store was really ticking me off. I called, and the man said, it was 100% allowed to use a CC, he said he would call the store. Put me on hold, and then came back and said, he could do nothing as the store was overriding him! I said really, the store can override corporate?

Anyway, gave up after that - love this game sometime
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
...and this brings me to another point, which only some have figured out about this stuff:

this is not science so much as it is art.
When we go out and buy beans or Whitneys or VRs or whatever you want to call them, one cannot RELY 100% on everything going exactly as it did the last time you were in that store buying them.

Things change daily. People change, rules change. We have to roll with it and constantly adjust.
Nah not here in NC. It just keeps going perfectly fine every time. In fact I go to the very same CVS each week, just round the corner from where I drop my kids off for their Saturday French lesson, and it seems they added another 10 Vanilla's just for me.

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
Is Marathon Man so named due to the length of his posts?
You bet
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:41 pm

Another reason to save all the VR CVS receipts...

http://instagram.com/p/gJAKQqPFhL/#
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Does anyone know if there is still any CVS in Cherry Hill NJ area that sells Vanilla Reloads?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by opus2002
Does anyone know if there is still any CVS in Cherry Hill NJ area that sells Vanilla Reloads?
I've been searching without success for the past few weeks. They are not restocking them at all. In one of the remodeled stores, they have set up space for them in an area next to the counter (along with other prepaid cards), away from the gift cards. However, since they remodeled they haven't stocked any... If you do find them, please PM me, and I'll do the same.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
I've been searching without success for the past few weeks. They are not restocking them at all. In one of the remodeled stores, they have set up space for them in an area next to the counter (along with other prepaid cards), away from the gift cards. However, since they remodeled they haven't stocked any... If you do find them, please PM me, and I'll do the same.
Have you spoken to the clerk to see when they plan on getting more?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by tsmith12
Another reason to save all the VR CVS receipts...

http://instagram.com/p/gJAKQqPFhL/#
That is genius!!!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: Several dozen
What a novel Halloween costume! Kuddos!

Originally Posted by SANbound
That is genius!!!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Have you spoken to the clerk to see when they plan on getting more?
I have, but they are all clueless. The best they can tell me is that they receive shipments on a certain day (Wed/Thur), but they have no idea if they will get the VRs.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have, but they are all clueless. The best they can tell me is that they receive shipments on a certain day (Wed/Thur), but they have no idea if they will get the VRs.
Call the store and speak to the manager.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Something I do it take the empty VR tag and ask them to reorder. They need the tag so they can scan the barcode with their mobile inventory tool. Make it easy for them....

Just asking them to reorder will mostly result in nothing as they first have to know exactly what you're asking for, be able to find it in their inventory system or find the right tag for themselves. They're busy and frankly the request is unimportant.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by rdover1
Something I do it take the empty VR tag and ask them to reorder. They need the tag so they can scan the barcode with their mobile inventory tool. Make it easy for them....
^^^
Very smart!!!

Side report:
CVS in Anaheim (Lincoln & Clementine) had several, and didn't blink at me buying two for $1K (+7.90), with an ID swipe. No suspicion, no muss, no fuss.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Has anyone had success in using CVS moneycard in purchasing VR? I tried but was shot down by my local CVS. I thought that buying some from discounted cards from CardCash to purchase them was worth a shot, but after denial and then reading the T&C on back of cards I see that these are not authorized.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Has anyone had success in using CVS moneycard in purchasing VR? I tried but was shot down by my local CVS. I thought that buying some from discounted cards from CardCash to purchase them was worth a shot, but after denial and then reading the T&C on back of cards I see that these are not authorized.
The CVS Moneycard is issued when people return goods without receipts. Or several years ago its registers could not refund items correctly when payment was made with ExtraCare Bucks which CVS advertises them as good as cash but when you need to return something bought with such, the register would not allow a refund. The workaround is to issue a Moneycard. It is an equivalent of Store Credit. You cannot even use it to buy CVS own GC, let alone anything else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.