Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Ive heard of that too tho

I will tell you that ive somehow trained my typ to do at least five like swipes in a row with no fraud text (btw setting up text alerts is soooo much faster and better than the call ones)
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
Unlikely. Most POS also have basic fraud prevention built in. Multiple same card swipes are suspicious so they can be blocked at the register without your card provider ever seeing a block.
... Except that Citi's fraud prevention team did see the block and attempted to contact me. So it doesn't seem to have been blocked at the POS directly. The advice provided by them didn't make much sense to me, on the other hand...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA BAEC FL WN US SPG Marriott Hyatt UR
Datapoint: Four Baltimore metro area CVS stores uncharacteristically beanless today.

Last edited by mfinn; Jan 10, 2014 at 9:52 pm Reason: Change "Three" to "Four"
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Last edited by PaulMSN; Jan 11, 2014 at 2:53 pm
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Originally Posted by mfinn
Datapoint: Four Baltimore metro area CVS stores uncharacteristically beanless today.
Being early in the month coupled with Dividend 5x earnings, it makes sense that folk are snatching beans up left and right.

I for one, need to feed my 2x Plantinum miles for me and my wife, and then do the Dividend so activity has definitely gone up
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jimbaum
Being early in the month coupled with Dividend 5x earnings, it makes sense that folk are snatching beans up left and right.

I for one, need to feed my 2x Plantinum miles for me and my wife, and then do the Dividend so activity has definitely gone up
No, I see VR everywhere, supply has gone up....
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by mfinn
Sounds like weather delays on the east coast and in the midwest.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
But, the interesting part... Spoke with Citi's fraud prevention dept, and they said that it wasn't suspicious activity that triggered it, but rather that the magnetic card reader did not read the number or the expiration date properly. They suggested telling the cashier the next time to key in the card number manually. Anyone hear or try that before?
Interesting, with Chase if two or more transations happen in the same location for XX amount (I forgot what that was) then a fraud alert is placed on the card. So I'm thinking the same thing could apply to the Citi card, give it another shot and see what happens.. With m CSP card, I was getting a fraud alert a lot until I talked to Fraud department that I'll be doing lot of business at CVS with high $$ amount, ever since I had the talk with them not one problem!!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
Went to a different CVS (from my regular one) yesterday to buy 3K worth of beans. The cashier said they needed to split them into 3 transactions of 1K each. The third transaction triggered a fraud alert on the Citi TYP card, so I just had him cancel the transaction. Never had that happen with a single 3K transaction, so I know it's not the amount, but the number of swipes.

But, the interesting part... Spoke with Citi's fraud prevention dept, and they said that it wasn't suspicious activity that triggered it, but rather that the magnetic card reader did not read the number or the expiration date properly. They suggested telling the cashier the next time to key in the card number manually. Anyone hear or try that before?
They don't know ... they are talking about. Back when I was a citi customer I heard the same BS. They even overnighted me a new card. If your CVS purchases are still blocked, PM me and I'll let you know how to correct it.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jewsus
They don't know ... they are talking about. Back when I was a citi customer I heard the same BS. They even overnighted me a new card. If your CVS purchases are still blocked, PM me and I'll let you know how to correct it.
Thx, that's what I thought but was curious as to what others may have experienced. Went yesterday and got another 2K in one transaction with no problem, so the card seems to be working just fine.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:22 am

Bought at CVS today, and instead of the receipt showing "ACTIVATED" for the cards, it now says "Will be activated within 24 hours". Sure enough, over an hour later the cards still are not activated. Anyone experience this?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:10 am

Bought yesterday and receipt shows "activated" and cards worked immediately.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by kwest2
Bought at CVS today, and instead of the receipt showing "ACTIVATED" for the cards, it now says "Will be activated within 24 hours". Sure enough, over an hour later the cards still are not activated. Anyone experience this?
Same here. 4/5 cards are now active, about an hour after purchase. Still waiting on the last. I called the number on the back of the card. They said CVS is experiencing a delay this morning.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by BrianGa
Same here. 4/5 cards are now active, about an hour after purchase. Still waiting on the last. I called the number on the back of the card. They said CVS is experiencing a delay this morning.
I had this happen to me once at staples. Didn't notice the within 24 hour print on the receipt. Tried to use the card but by not waiting my actions effectively killed the debit card. Had to go back to Staples and through this 2 hour ordeal with the manager. Not sure if VRs are the same way but I'd wait to try until after the 24 hour period.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by digital330
I got this error today after DL scan. Tried twice, but no go.
Originally Posted by nuclfusion
And if you're lucky enough, the clerks will assist in bypassing the DL scan limits. My DL didn't scan so we did multiple 2 VR transactions without blinking. It really does pay to be nice to your CSRs.
Originally Posted by rdover1
Unlikely. Most POS also have basic fraud prevention built in. Multiple same card swipes are suspicious so they can be blocked at the register without your card provider ever seeing a block.
Tried to purchase 10 VR in one transaction over the weekend. The DL scan failed for me also and was giving some error that the system was down, but the cashier tried probably 5 times to get it to read my ID properly. He gave up and said he could just process them separately.

Did 9 in a row before the transaction failed and the Wells Fargo fraud call came in. I didn't want to wait for the automated system to verify my activity, so I left with only 9.

So the register did not attempt to block the multiple swipes at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.