Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnie Chi
I recently purchased 5k VR at cvs store I deal with for almost a year and ran into this issue for the first time
none of the 10 cards I bought that day worked.
called Vanilla, got a response said that CVS deactivated my cards after I purchased them.
went back to the CVS store, manager said he could not deactivate cards, there is nothing he can do
so I was kicking back and forth by them.
any idea how I can reach a resolution besides file cc dispute?
I saw some ppl here got the same probelm
hope you guys could provide some updates if you got a resolution finally.
thanks/

Go here for the discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ffiliates.html
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ZapperO
Yes. $1k in VR card value not total transaction amount.
for the longest time I would p/u x VRs and use 1 CC for each to avoid the DL. Now with 2 CCs needing Spend in the 5 figures and with many CVs not having any VRs , I look forward to having my DL scanned = Im able to get a bunch of VRs and not having pound the pavement looking for them
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold
A proximate CVS started carrying beans a couple of month ago. I haven't had a need to hit it up, but figured I would run a test today in advance of a possible AOR.

Checked 2 or 3 racks...no VRs....doing my last checks up by the counter, when a cashier on the phone says "Hold on....[to cashier on the end of the row:] Are those Vanilla Reload cards hanging down there? No? .... Sorry sir, we don't have anymore."

Guess they do allow purchase with CC.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:20 pm

All the DFW CVS's seem to be drying up. I regularly hit 2-3 stores and they typically have plenty of stock. For the past 2 weeks I've been to 4 stores multiple times and they have been dry and the employees seem to have no idea why there aren't any or when they'll get more - I hope this isn't the end as I need the VRs to hit my AA Executive $10K spend. Any other DFWer's out there?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by nic3456
All the DFW CVS's seem to be drying up. I regularly hit 2-3 stores and they typically have plenty of stock. For the past 2 weeks I've been to 4 stores multiple times and they have been dry and the employees seem to have no idea why there aren't any or when they'll get more - I hope this isn't the end as I need the VRs to hit my AA Executive $10K spend. Any other DFWer's out there?
there's some in H town, wana mail me ur credit card so i can buy u some ? hahah
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I hadn't even considered that. I wouldn't pay for access to VRs and I suspect many here feel the same way. Anything that cuts in to the "profit" is a waste. I also think that most managers would not be happy about an employee "selling" access to the store's inventory.

On the other hand, if employees choose to "hold" inventory for themselves it does not impact the store at all.
I wouldn't pay access to VR's but I'm sure others would, if someone is doing large quantity's of them I can see people "hoarding them..
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Why are you buying VR with an INK card? There better use for that card then VR...
FlightNurse -- instead of buying $2K worth of VR's to meet my min. spend for the signup bonus, I will be buying $2K worth of store gift cards at my Staples (mix of Whole Foods + Amazon).

Thanks for pointing this out!!!!

Unfortunately it'll take me a while to go through through GC's, but I guess that's a better way to leverage the Ink card.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:43 pm

VRs have became a rare commodity.

Gosh, if it was not for the Citi promotion, I wouldn't bother at all.

It is unbelievable what is happening to those VRs.

People hide it, people steal it, people fruck for it..lol
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by snugglening
Seems my CVS has a new rule. I walk in there with my SO and the clerk comes to me and tells me if I buy VR my SO cannot since we are breaking the 5k a day rule. I ask can I buy a non-VR from the rack. "No that is against the rules."

I guess it has somehow changed to $5k per household although no other store has ever had a issue with the both of us buying VR cards. We are Non-white and obviously I do not believe it has to do with anything regarding race although since we walked in together.....it should be assumed we are together. I also do know that there is a worker there who has told me he/she buys those cards so they can travel for free so my mind came up with a possible reason why this rule was instilled.
The clerk came up to you? Wow! This is what happens when you empower the under educated.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
VRs have became a rare commodity.

Gosh, if it was not for the Citi promotion, I wouldn't bother at all.

It is unbelievable what is happening to those VRs.

People hide it, people steal it, people fruck for it..lol
walgreens vgc for 4.95 is a decent alternative for the promo
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by nic3456
My normal CVS's in DFW are dry as well. I was able to find a target with several AMEX target cards if you want to go that route for the 10K spend.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
This thread is becoming disturbing to me. I didn't want to really go overboard and buy VRs since I can't load for two weeks, but this discussion trend could be worrisome.

I live near enough to an "undiscovered" CVS, that I could load up easily. And, I have concerns a certain store mgr. at another store may poison the water with non-CC preaching.

Buying extra VRs and holding them puts me too close to CC statement closings. I wouldn't be able to liquidate for about two weeks. BB eligible is still 2 weeks away.

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 17, 2014 at 8:46 am
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by exmike
Probably, but the liquidation is harder for me, no Walmart nearby.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:35 am

I can add another report that I visited my CVS yesterday that is always stocked and there wasn't a single reload.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Originally Posted by exmike
All the walgreens near where I live have a strict "Cash-Only" policy for VRs. No go on them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.