Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by cvasara
I agree about the friendly cashiers in Hawaii. Always very pleasant, and when the first shock of wanting 5K of VRs is over, they do their cashier duties in a professional and timely manner. The wife and I will buy 5K each when we visit a Long's, and after the first trip or two, they know us, and are chatty and friendly. When in Hawaii, I'll buy up to 45K to 50K at a few different stores, and load the current month and the next month too. The Long's cashiers certainly makes it easy.
What's your Hawaii trip schedule?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
One reason to keep BB is that serve requires five times as many trips to CVS. I think the ability to load an extra $1k per month (or $2k if you have a good debit set up), plus saving $39.50 for every $5k loaded, makes serve the better pick for many if not most. But for the guy who lives in a VR plentiful city and just does one $5k BB a month, I can see the benefit of just making one trip and one swipe, 12 times a year, for $60k and done. Time and gas have a cost too.
You can still load VR to Serve, so I fail to see the difference...
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I went to CVS to buy Vanilla Visas with some AmEx GCs and the cashier asked me if I wanted any VRs because they had some in stock. I don't need any more this month but I guess she knows me pretty well now. It's nice to have friendly and accommodating staff at the CVS nearest my work and home.
Similar here: The cashier knows my name from memory (from running the driver's license so often) and what I'm shopping for.

Unfortunately, this last week no VRs were delivered and she doesn't know if more will be coming in next week.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
You can still load VR to Serve, so I fail to see the difference...
True. Good point. Certainly no reason to switch from serve to BB unless you need the checks. But if one is already set up with BB, I can see them just leaving well enough alone and not messing with converting. Though I guess anyone leaving 12,000 points on the table each year is probably not reading this thread.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by hitman1420
You hit the nail on the head. For those of us who have multiple cards that are fed with VRs, we make more than 5 trips to CVS anyways. In fact, by moving some BBs to Serve, we can limit ourselves to 5 trips instead of +5 trips.

But for those with only 1 VR-enabled card, sticking with BB may make more sense.
That was the exact reason why I was kinda hesitant about switching from BB to Serve. I think it's good to have a mix(family members). I'm only switching mine over. I wanted to try ISIS as well. They say BP is faster. You also save $40/month in fees. What's not to like?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:41 am
Suspended

I'm sure this has been answered before, but...

Is it normal for bluebird to not let you pay the same payee twice in 2 days?

For instance, bought 5k in VRs.

Day 1: load up 1k, pay 1k to CC #1
Day 2: load up 1k, pay 1k to CC #1 (same card)

Error message: already made this payment, no can do.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire

You need to enter a different amount for the second BP. An amount of $999.99 will go through.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zgirl
You need to enter a different amount for the second BP. An amount of $999.99 will go through.
Worked. Thanks.

Tomorrow, am I going to have to pay $999.98? Then $999.97?!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:09 am

Worked. Thanks.

Tomorrow, am I going to have to pay $999.98? Then $999.97?!
Tomorrow you can pay $1000.01. You just can't pay the same amount 2 days in row. Leave at least a penny in your account!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Similar here: The cashier knows my name from memory (from running the driver's license so often) and what I'm shopping for.

Unfortunately, this last week no VRs were delivered and she doesn't know if more will be coming in next week.
Hopefully it is just an isolated incident.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Zgirl
Leave at least a penny in your account!
And up until a few days ago the website version of bill pay had this as an included feature.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:52 am

I have recently purchased 9k vr in Maui. The store manager was clueless but camera counter employees were excellent. Pm me if you need more info.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:32 am

Why are you doing this? Load 3k over 3 days, then pay $3k to CC#1. Easy as pie. Why over complicate and confuse the bird?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar
True. Good point. Certainly no reason to switch from serve to BB unless you need the checks. But if one is already set up with BB, I can see them just leaving well enough alone and not messing with converting. Though I guess anyone leaving 12,000 points on the table each year is probably not reading this thread.
I am itching to switch from BB to Serv but what if the local CVS stores do not allow CC load to Serv? Then I would be back to square one even after the hassle of switching.

50% of the CVS stores in the 10 miles drive are cash only. The 50% that take CC often runs out of stock - for obvious reason. One store has gone out of inventory for sooooo long that I haven't checked again in the past 3 months. The cashier last time told me the vendor stopped sending the VRs because "they had some issues." That was period when the scams were reported frequently.

Then 2 weeks ago I decided to check again as this store is only 1.5 miles from home and both the store manager / cashiers are friendly, know me from the CVS Extra Bucks deals in the past. Wow, they restocked pretty well with the new design and some really old design. (the first one with the diagonal lines over the green box - I believe it is the first generation of the more "secured" design.) I wish I have dropped by much earlier so I dont have to drive the 10 miles one-way in the past 6 months!

However another store that is less than 1 mile of this store, remains Cash Only!

That is why I am hesitant not to switch from BB to Serv just yet. If BB's BP continues to mess up, it may be the push needed for me to switch. lol.

One thing I am still puzzled is, why AMEX makes its own products cannibalize each other, by making them mutually exclusive from each other?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.