Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mayday23
That happened to me too. He then asked if I was buying them "for someone that I didn't know." Some type of fraud thing.
Sounds like you're at an airport.... "Are there any items in these bags that do not belong to you? Did someone place unknown items in your possession?"
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by healthnut
I think the main advantage, as their bill pay is similar, is the ability to load it via CC at CVS without any fees. It saves you about $40 in VR fees/month.

However, no check payments like BB.
IBJanky is a legend
The other advantage of Serve over BB is that you can do $1K online via CC and $1K online via Debit card (in your name).
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:07 am

Spoke to the CVS manager over the weekend. They got VRs in on Thursday AM and i took the last ones saturday night. He said they sold 150 over the 3 day period. Suburb of chicago.
Wow, this is getting ridiculous. Only a matter of time before CVS pulls the plug.

I've noticed the same in my area. Never a problem finding VRs in the last year until recently. Last time I was in I saw two knuckleheads grab entire stacks and go to the register. Both bought 5k worth until the cashier told them they exceeded their limit. Pitched a fit. Who knows what happened to the left over cards. Very nonchalant attitudes too. The same two or three cashiers work the evening shift when I go and they told me they've seen a lot of new faces.

I've seen other morons and Staples trying to buy thousands in $200 gift cards. Which of course requires store manager approval and lots of scrutiny. Discretion is out the window.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
That happened to me too. He then asked if I was buying them "for someone that I didn't know." Some type of fraud thing.
The local police have issued fraud warnings on these cards, some people are calling up small resteraunts, telling them they are the local power company and that their bill is deliquent, then telling them they need to goto drug store and purchase 400 VR card can call beack with the number or there power will be turned off that day. worried they will be shut down that evening during rush many seem to fall for it.
its kinda like when walmart MC asks about MO, have read storied here on FT about CS reps talking peopel out of MO to send to injured relative overseas.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:51 am

is there any particular reasons i shouldn't let them scan my ID? do 2 transactions of $500 each versus 1 transaction of $1000

what are the drawbacks of them scanning my ID?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by turnpike13
another wasted post and reply to said post and turse reply to said post.
The irony is just mindblowing.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by scoder
Wow, this is getting ridiculous. Only a matter of time before CVS pulls the plug.

I'm afraid it's related to the Citi offer. Many people got 2 cards and they don't
have other ways to spend $20K in 3 months…
I'm surprised that offer is going on for that long, that made everyone
and his grandma go for it
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by stimulus
is there any particular reasons i shouldn't let them scan my ID? do 2 transactions of $500 each versus 1 transaction of $1000

No one knows. Worst case scenario, you get tracked & have a SAR filed each time.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by stimulus

Quit being so paranoid. CVS is protecting itself because it doesn't want to get in trouble with any federal agencies. The government has put the burden on banks and financial services businesses to know where the money people are depositing, or "loading" is coming from, and to implement reasonable policies to prevent theft & money laundering.

It is something they require of you, so quit being a bad customer and just be grateful that CVS is still allowing these types of purchases with a CC.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:23 am

There's also a lot of VR fraud on instagram and twitter. Search #vanillareload and you'll find lots of interesting individuals offering to flip your money for you. The claim is they can return 10X your money because they work for Incomm and can add a 0 to your funds balance once they know the code on the back of your VR.

Scam works by having the goat buy a VR and send the code on back to the individuals on instagram/twitter. Then like your Uncle King in Africa, communication breaks down.

http://statigr.am/tag/vanillareload

Originally Posted by particlemn
The local police have issued fraud warnings on these cards, some people are calling up small resteraunts, telling them they are the local power company and that their bill is deliquent, then telling them they need to goto drug store and purchase 400 VR card can call beack with the number or there power will be turned off that day. worried they will be shut down that evening during rush many seem to fall for it.
its kinda like when walmart MC asks about MO, have read storied here on FT about CS reps talking peopel out of MO to send to injured relative overseas.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by theacolyte
Quit being so paranoid. CVS is protecting itself because it doesn't want to get in trouble with any federal agencies. The government has put the burden on banks and financial services businesses to know where the money people are depositing, or "loading" is coming from, and to implement reasonable policies to prevent theft & money laundering.

It is something they require of you, so quit being a bad customer and just be grateful that CVS is still allowing these types of purchases with a CC.
Ah, Yes. Good ol' Paranoia. And the sky is falling. And what do they do with my DL info? And what if, and what if, and for good measure - What if?
Those that are paranoid and afraid actually help those (Me) by not stepping up their game. That, theoretically, leaves VRs on the gift card racks so that we can buy 5K a day. More with the Wife along.
So grab your 2 cards for less than 1K, keep that DL safely tucked away in your wallet. The game, when played to the max, isn't for the What if-ers.
No Guts, No Glory. But as usual, YMMV
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Spoke to the CVS manager over the weekend. They got VRs in on Thursday AM and i took the last ones saturday night. He said they sold 150 over the 3 day period. Suburb of chicago.
Yeah, or maybe he hides them behind the counter for his buddies.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lad2
Yeah, or maybe he hides them behind the counter for his buddies.
Or maybe you conjure up scenarios from nothing.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turnpike13
another wasted post and reply to said post and turse reply to said post.
If you want to convince us that you're the thread police, we'll have to see some badges.

Spelling: "terse"
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Or maybe you conjure up scenarios from nothing.
LoL, ok, thread police ...

I hide them in chicagoland. I took a couple up to the register yesterday and the clerk said "Where did you find these? We've had people looking to buy them all week."

I said, "They were just in the gift card area, maybe you just got a new supply in."

Every man for himself, MSers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.