Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by maksimfa
In that case, you can still reload Serve with VR.

There is NO reason to not have Serve over BlueBird, unless you need the checks. That is why we are keeping one BB, and converting rest to Serve.

Even still, Serve has...

1. Higher Limits on loads, $7k between store/credit/debit.
2. NO FEES on instore cc loads.
3. NO NEED to to hunt down VR.

Even if CVS takes away the credit card loads, even if.... you can still load with vanilla reload, AND credit card online.

...but it's ok, keep using BB. Less on Serve. =)

So far, the 5 or 6 CVS stores I visit, I am one of the only ones reloading Serve at cash register. I do know 3 of my stores are visited by other MS'ers, and still hunt VR.
Wow, that sounds great. Why is BB even still used then? I am going to make the switch, haha.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:45 am

The $500 per swipe limit @ CVS would drive me nuts though. Not to mention that $1k of it comes from Debit (I know ST Debit). BB just seems more convenient to me I think.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
New register requirement.. had CSR's at 2 different CVS's in northern Philly burbs comment on this in the past day... register now flashing a button asking CSR "Is the customer standing in front of you" when initial VR is rung up.

Both CSR's said there has been a lot of "very odd" activity lately with VRs and green dots..... individuals calling into the stores (mostly on overnight shift) trying to get CSR to activate cards and give PIN numbers to caller.....

Hopefully this new requirement works and cuts down on fraud activity.... if not, and if CVS can't effectively stop the fraudsters, the end may be in sight for CVS allowing CC for VRs
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
Both CSR's said there has been a lot of "very odd" activity lately with VRs and green dots..... individuals calling into the stores (mostly on overnight shift) trying to get CSR to activate cards and give PIN numbers to caller.....
I have heard the same. Too bad those idiots ruin it for the rest of us.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
New register requirement.. had CSR's at 2 different CVS's in northern Philly burbs comment on this in the past day... register now flashing a button asking CSR "Is the customer standing in front of you" when initial VR is rung up.
I haven't heard about this. Are you in Bucks County too?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Majuki
I haven't heard about this. Are you in Bucks County too?
Bucks/ Montco
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by commdiver
I have heard the same. Too bad those idiots ruin it for the rest of us.
I'm sure some of those idiots read this forum. Let me address them for a moment:

You idiots that abuse a system, take things too far, hide VRs or other cards because you can't buy as many as you want at one visit, you who step over the line of legal manufactured spending, please stop for a moment and take time to think. You ruin systems, businesses and profit for all. You get yourself shut down as well as many others who, unlike you, stay within the rules. You are not interested in longevity. You only focus on right now and your habits. You know what I'm talking about.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Originally Posted by Churnman
I'm sure some of those idiots read this forum. Let me address them for a moment:

You idiots that abuse a system, take things too far, hide VRs or other cards because you can't buy as many as you want at one visit, you who step over the line of legal manufactured spending, please stop for a moment and take time to think. You ruin systems, businesses and profit for all. You get yourself shut down as well as many others who, unlike you, stay within the rules. You are not interested in longevity. You only focus on right now and your habits. You know what I'm talking about.
Not sure how this translates to people hiding VRs. This sounds like people trying to scam by not buying VRs and getting the PINs. Unless i'm missing something, which i normally am.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
My cashier asked me today if I knew the person I was giving the VRs too. I chuckled and confirmed ‘yes.’ He said an older Asian man came in to buy $3,500 because someone impersonating his son called him and asked him to buy VRs and send them overseas.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:40 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by MsArbi
^ I would also add, the same applies to those of you who try to skirt the CVS policy of $5k per day by doing repeated <$1k transactions to get more than $5k.
YMMV, but for some of us, that is just too time consuming, a waste of time.
5K a day, in one swipe is efficient and pays off handsomely. Further, I would think that would give the CC issuers reason to look at that card closely. But like I said, if you got all the time to spend going from CVS to CVS, > YMMV
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:25 am

Talking

Wow, that sounds great. Why is BB even still used then? I am going to make the switch, haha.
How do you switch an account from BB to Serve? Do you have to contact AmEx and make a request, or can you just sign up for a Serve account with a SSN and they'll just cancel the existing BB account and set up the Serve?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by maksimfa
In that case, you can still reload Serve with VR.

There is NO reason to not have Serve over BlueBird, unless you need the checks. That is why we are keeping one BB, and converting rest to Serve.

Even still, Serve has...

1. Higher Limits on loads, $7k between store/credit/debit.
2. NO FEES on instore cc loads.
3. NO NEED to to hunt down VR.

Even if CVS takes away the credit card loads, even if.... you can still load with vanilla reload, AND credit card online.

...but it's ok, keep using BB. Less on Serve. =)

So far, the 5 or 6 CVS stores I visit, I am one of the only ones reloading Serve at cash register. I do know 3 of my stores are visited by other MS'ers, and still hunt VR.
I'm actually thinking of closing my Serve account & signing up again via ISIS... this time buying a special case for my iPhone to leverage the promotions (the cashwrap case is on sale at Verizon for 29.99); if you have Android phone, you just have to get special SIM card (for FREE):

(ISIS is the payless wallet , competing against Google Wallet ?)

$40 signup bonus -- sign up for Serve via ISIS: http://slickdeals.net/f/6669596-40-f...ount-thru-isis

AT&T promo: http://slickdeals.net/f/6767562-free...er-transaction

Wells Fargo Credit Card holders get 20% cashback on all eligible ISIS purchases: http://slickdeals.net/f/6668964-isis...0-off-free-320
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
How do you switch an account from BB to Serve? Do you have to contact AmEx and make a request, or can you just sign up for a Serve account with a SSN and they'll just cancel the existing BB account and set up the Serve?
It's super easy peasy..

You can only have 1 account open at a time. Make sure you have cleared out your BB balance (have it zero'd from Bill Pay, ATM withdrawals, etc.) Buying a temp card is useless -- as you can only load money. You can't use Serve BP features until you get the permanent card. It only took 5 days for the perm. card to arrive.

Definitely recommend looking into the ISIS payment before jumping in... to leverage the signup bonuses. Also ISIS gives you higher CC online load limits!!!!

Technically -- though it's probably already discussed in the thread below -- you could have $5K in BB loaded and then tap out another $6-7K for Serve in that one month when you switch over.

Follow the instructions in the wiki:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-payments.html
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:06 am

Has anybody tried to load Serve at CVS today?

I went to my CVS, and one my favorite cashier (who never loaded Serve before, VRs yes).

She press on her monitor "load Prepaid", then the amount. Then swipe the Serve card, and a denied screen came up. She tried it like 4 times with two different Serve card.

I told her that was weird since her manager did it yesterday. She said,"Sorry, next time you see the manager, ask him how he does it"

I don't think there is anything special, and I think she is doing it right.

FYI: 1 Serve card was new, and activated last night. 2nd Serve card only has 3k load this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.