Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I see.... I guess its some type of barrier to entry
There is no barrier. Just learn how to read a thread.
Most questions are usually asked a million times in the last 10 pages.

If you really want to be spoon fed. There is blogs made for just that.
Circles and arrows too!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I see.... I guess its some type of barrier to entry
As someone who just did first VR ever tonight - the time you invest to read this thread is 100% worth it and then some. You need to know what you are doing.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by toxicity
As someone who just did first VR ever tonight - the time you invest to read this thread is 100% worth it and then some. You need to know what you are doing.
Congrats toxicity. I, like you, am a relative noob too. Did two transactions of 1000, then 500 earlier this month. Went smoothly.

Question for others: I'm only doing this to really pay rent to collect some miles, so the spending will be moderate. Maybe $1500 per month. I don't intend to ever try to float debt between different CCs, and I'll pay off my balances promptly. So...would you say that in my situation I'll be fairly under the radar and that my only true worry is to wonder how long this CVS/VR thing will last, rather than worrying about my credit card company shutting me down?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Ruhr
Congrats toxicity. I, like you, am a relative noob too. Did two transactions of 1000, then 500 earlier this month. Went smoothly.

Question for others: I'm only doing this to really pay rent to collect some miles, so the spending will be moderate. Maybe $1500 per month. I don't intend to ever try to float debt between different CCs, and I'll pay off my balances promptly. So...would you say that in my situation I'll be fairly under the radar and that my only true worry is to wonder how long this CVS/VR thing will last, rather than worrying about my credit card company shutting me down?
I have not heard of stories of ccs shutting people down. Regardless of points earnings, buying these things is just another transaction.

Anything can change--vrs could go away next week or last for months and years. We never know.

But I would say you are well beliw the radar and it is a good use of the vr and a great way to start should you ever ramp up later

Good work!

mm
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
So...would you say that in my situation I'll be fairly under the radar and that my only true worry is to wonder how long this CVS/VR thing will last, rather than worrying about my credit card company shutting me down?
There are no guarantees, but I think you'll be more than fine
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: All of the Above

Granted I don't know what you're normal spend/income is, but if you're only doing $1500/month, you have nothing to worry about regarding getting shut down. You may be the lowest roller on this thread with those numbers. There's some people here doing 100x that now.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DavidAL
Granted I don't know what you're normal spend/income is, but if you're only doing $1500/month, you have nothing to worry about regarding getting shut down. You may be the lowest roller on this thread with those numbers. There's some people here doing 100x that now.
Hehe, thanks! Well right now I just want to spend what I have. My rent is about $1000/mo and I figure, might as well get miles for that (because I certainly wasn't getting anything for it prior to this month, paying by personal cheque!). Other spend is $1000-3000 per month. So my spending now is all legitimate, 1-for-1 expenses.

I totally get what I have to do in order to start ramping up: I need to redeposit money safely and cycle through; just not sure I want to go there. I regard this VR thing as a vast field of golden beans, just waiting for the taking. Right now I'm grabbing handfuls and stuffing them in my pockets. I'm not ready to fill up satchels and backpacks of the stuff, let alone wheelbarrows full. Regardless, even if I limit myself to bona fide spending, the way I see it is that's 1000+ miles I'm earning monthly (for my rent) which I wasn't earning before!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by DavidAL
$150,000/month in MS? Holy crap. I'm shocked there are even enough incentive programs to deal with that.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jwhite.ft
$150,000/month in MS? Holy crap. I'm shocked there are even enough incentive programs to deal with that.
that is small potatos i churn almost 1mm per month with lots of hard work. not profit, i am talkin spending. you just need various methods. i have so much profit at this point i needed to convert much of my profit into gold coinage.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:40 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:25 am

I'm lazy and I did 50k on bluebirds this month. 10 trips to CVS all on Bluebirds. If I had 30 bluebirds, I could easily do 150k. One of my resolutions was that I would take less of a profit and stay out of Walmart for awhile. It always gave me a headache.

Everytime someone boggles at manufactured spending numbers, I shake my head. It would not surprise me if people in here were on teams doing 1 million with 5-6 people/license/well stocked CVS's with good networks with the manager.

I have one manager at CVS who keeps it stocked for me and thanks for helping numbers, and I'm not exactly personable. I rotate around 6-8 different CVS's so they should only see me 1-2 times at 5k per spend.

"How do you get 10 bluebirds?!" - Me, wife, mother in law, father in law, my mom, my dad, my military brother who is not interested in MS'ing, my grandmother in law, my grandfather in law and brother in law.

Last edited by horseymen; Jan 16, 2014 at 2:26 am Reason: Clarity for a sure-to-be-asked-question.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:05 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: EMT-P
Like toxicity, I did my first MS (CVS-->VR-->BB) after A LOT of reading and then finally saying "go for it". Easy as pie.

The one question I have: Right now I'm just charging on two Chase VISAs (one business one personal), then using the BB to pay my AMEX Plat. How often can I buy VRs with each Visa? Everyday for $500/each? 2x$500/each?

TIA
John
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by medichill
Like toxicity, I did my first MS (CVS-->VR-->BB) after A LOT of reading and then finally saying "go for it". Easy as pie.

The one question I have: Right now I'm just charging on two Chase VISAs (one business one personal), then using the BB to pay my AMEX Plat. How often can I buy VRs with each Visa? Everyday for $500/each? 2x$500/each?

TIA
John
As often as CVS will let you. Up to the $5,000 CVS limit.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by MsArbi
Unless you have another VR source, do many under $1k purchases or have multiple IDs/people, 150k/mo requires a trip to CVS every single day without missing a reset or a beat. Possible and not really difficult, but I wouldn't say it's easily doable or practical for most because of the schedule, the timing and the unexpected.
And even the expected: my CVS's error out when scanning DL probably 1 in 5 visits. It's not a big deal for me, I just go back later, but if I were on a schedule like that it'd be a huge stressor every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.