Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
Did they have the 2nd or 3rd version of these when they had them? The local stores here were almost all out of stock in December but this month they're fully stocked with the new version. Perhaps your store is just doing the changeover. ^
That could be it (hopefully) - they've always had the old versions
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:29 am

For those of you buying $2-5K at a time are you splitting that up among several cards? I've only tried to buy $1K at a time and used 1 card.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nic3456
Went to my regular CVS this morning in DFW only to find all the VRs pulled from the shelf I didn't ask about them as for some reason almost everytime I buy them the clerks act like they've never seen them before and are clueless. I've been using this location for over a year and they consistently have 20-30 cards in stock. Hoping just a fluke...
Maybe they've started keeping them behind the counter. Both the CVS stores I go to in Madison do that now.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:31 am
Suspended

Bought 4.5k yesterday with no problem. Why 4.5k? The CC I used only has 5k limit . Both of my regular CVS has plenty of stocks
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Maybe they've started keeping them behind the counter. Both the CVS stores I go to in Madison do that now.
You must be the one in Madison who splits transactions. Last time I went in the cashier asked if I wanted to split my transactions too.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nic3456
For those of you buying $2-5K at a time are you splitting that up among several cards? I've only tried to buy $1K at a time and used 1 card.
Nope, I use 1 card all the time, several times a month
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:46 pm

Data point and question: Purchased $3k no issues other than DL scan.

My go to store is now devoid of all VRs Asked one of the usual clerks about restocking. She said trucks usually come in on Tuesdays. How do you all normally get your go to store to restock in a timely fashion, if at all possible? I have a backup store but without the great relationship I have with my usual.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:11 pm

My favorite CVS, adjacent to a huge university campus, has had plenty of VRs in stock the past few weeks. I commented on this to the cashier this morning, and she alluded to some "new stocking system" that would mean they never run out. I didn't ask what that entailed, but I'm half afraid it will be that they never run out because MSers can't buy the reloads there anymore.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
My favorite CVS, adjacent to a huge university campus, has had plenty of VRs in stock the past few weeks. I commented on this to the cashier this morning, and she alluded to some "new stocking system" that would mean they never run out. I didn't ask what that entailed, but I'm half afraid it will be that they never run out because MSers can't buy the reloads there anymore.
Care to share which state? hoping not in AZ...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:37 pm

Data Point: just hit up my favorite CVS outpost. Of course, an older cashier, had never seen VRs before. She tried, message popped up, went away, went through. BUT system wouldn't scan more than 1 VR per trans. Not a problem with me. But worth noting. Walked out with $1500 as that's all I need for my Chase BA bonus
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:44 pm

Local CVS (2 of them) Only allow $1K on a single transaction (with ID scan)...can't split or use diff cc.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:56 pm

I feel like a chump. Started slow with the VR last month. Stopped by my local CVS and there's apparently a memo saying that it is now cash only. Employee couldn't locate it, so I'll come back some other time (I've built a little rapport with the cashier, seen her everytime I purchased a VR).

Alas, I'll double check with the other CVS in the city, but most of them are completely out of the way. Bleh, hopefully they confused the VR with another prepaid card.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by buggy51
I feel like a chump. Started slow with the VR last month. Stopped by my local CVS and there's apparently a memo saying that it is now cash only. Employee couldn't locate it, so I'll come back some other time (I've built a little rapport with the cashier, seen her everytime I purchased a VR).

Alas, I'll double check with the other CVS in the city, but most of them are completely out of the way. Bleh, hopefully they confused the VR with another prepaid card.
I think there's an internal memo at every CVS system-wide. You just have to politely ask the cashier to try it anyway. Has gone through with me every time I have convinced the cashier to try anyway...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:41 pm

Did $3k at my suburban Boston CVS today. No issues with transaction limits.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
I think there's an internal memo at every CVS system-wide. You just have to politely ask the cashier to try it anyway. Has gone through with me every time I have convinced the cashier to try anyway...
Why do you think that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.