Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Ok, now that I am into this and the one and only CVS near my place that will accept the CC has plenty of stock, if you were in my shoes (size 9 ), would you go ahead and max out buying as many VR cards as possible? I don't want to sound crazy greedy but I don't want to start being recognized on all shifts by frequent visits.

I can spread the buys around on about 6 CC cards. With a $5k limit on each debit card I have chosen so far, 12 x 500, I am only up to $6k debit card deposits.. Today I bought 3 VR (included in the $3k bought so far), and bought 3 more on my return drive. I had about 45min between stops and had the same gal, who took great notice of my ID I offered.

My concern is one particular store (closest to me) has a very strict mgr. It's my strong belief that she pulled the Paypal MCs during the pre-BF event and advised her store didn't receive them. She runs a tight ship and has apparently advised staff no CC on debits, including VRs. I am concerned her influence may be contagious since there are five stores within a close radius.

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 12, 2014 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Ok, now that I am into this and the one and only CVS near my place that will accept the CC has plenty of stock, if you were in my shoes (size 9 ), would you go ahead and max out buying as many VR cards as possible? I don't want to sound crazy greedy but I don't want to start being recognized on all shifts by frequent visits.

I can spread the buys around on about 6 CC cards. With a 5k limit on each debit card I have chosen so far, 12 x 500, I am only up to $6k debit card deposits.. Today I bought 3 VR (included in the $3k bought so far), and bought 3 more on my return drive. I had about 45min between stops and had the same gal, who took great notice of my ID I offered.

My concern is one particular store (closest to me) has a very strict mgr. It's my strong belief that she pulled the Paypal MCs during the pre-BF event and advised her store didn't receive them. She runs a tight ship and has apparently advised staff no CC on debits, including VRs. I am concerned her influence may be contagious since there are five stores within a close radius.
It all comes down to your comfort level.

First, if you buy $5k can you unload that 5k in one day? So for folks who have multiple cards, yes, sure... but personally, I fear being stuck with cards. I want to load and unload as quickly as possible.

What I started doing was buying $2k for the card, late evenings, around 10 or 11pm, load $1k instantly, another $1k shortly after midnight, then bill pay immediately.

I would imagine most people buying a ton more VR's are loading for 4 to 10, maybe more bluebird accounts, and other prepaid debit cards reloadable with beans, then buying MO's from there. (which now that I think of it, makes sense.)
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:34 pm

Wait till this lady gets promoted to district manager. Oh, the horror!!!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Hit up five in the east bay. It's a desert out here
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:02 pm

It's my strong belief that she pulled the Paypal MCs during the pre-BF event and advised her store didn't receive them.
Many many stores in SoCal did that (Facebook posts rescued us, what is this world coming to?), but there doesn't seem to be any correlation to that event and VR w CC availability. I wouldn't worry about that.

I can spread the buys around on about 6 CC cards.
Forgive me, but let's make sure you understand the point here. The only reason for this exercise, is the accumulation of credit card miles/points/cashback. The other steps are necessary but earn nothing, zero.

Also, MS should not be done if one has any credit card debt at all.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:19 pm

Broke my cherry and did my very first VR purchase today after receiving my BB card in the mail yesterday. I live in nola and have 2 CVS's in my area, first one was dry but the clerk was very helpful and told me they replenish on Thursdays. The second one I struck gold (er, white)! I bought the 3 that they had, put $500 each on them and with a single transaction - paid $1511.85 and walked on out. Scanned my DL but other than that no issues with having to pre-notify or call my cc company (I used my Chase M/C) and was out the door in minutes.

Thanks to everyone on this board for your help!!! Oh yeah, I had a real stop to make at Walgreens on the way back to my house and just happened to see ~50 VR cards on the gift card rack. Figured I would at least try and the manager who rung me up (and was very friendly) turned the monitor around to show me the error message that said "cash transactions only for this type of purchase"...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by savekenny
Wait till this lady gets promoted to district manager. Oh, the horror!!!
She will be kicked out

CVS corporate (owner) is willing to sell on CC. The lady is against it.(against the owner?) She is not acting in the interest of the employer! How long U think she will last there?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by neworleans flyer
Thanks to everyone on this board for your help!!! Oh yeah, I had a real stop to make at Walgreens on the way back to my house and just happened to see ~50 VR cards on the gift card rack. Figured I would at least try and the manager who rung me up (and was very friendly) turned the monitor around to show me the error message that said "cash transactions only for this type of purchase"...
Not even sure why 7-11 or Walgreens even bothers to sell VRs anymore. No one is going to buy it cash only. Not sure if OD still sells it but if they still do they mind as well rip all of the VRs down from the shelves because its just going to collect dust.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Many many stores in SoCal did that (Facebook posts rescued us, what is this world coming to?), but there doesn't seem to be any correlation to that event and VR w CC availability. I wouldn't worry about that. Perhaps it was MY experiences, her activity, and her personality. The correlation is anecdotal but my sincere belief.

Forgive me, but let's make sure you understand the point here. The only reason for this exercise, is the accumulation of credit card miles/points/cashback. The other steps are necessary but earn nothing, zero.

Also, MS should not be done if one has any credit card debt at all.
Forgive me, but let's make sure one understands the point I was making. I would like to make sure there are VR cards abundant for my MS plan. Available and close and if not, available and stocked up without stirring suspicion and losing out on my CC privileges. As for the MS, I have my reasons which are not unlike what MOST of these discussions are about. Not sure what else was interpreted from my post.

I prefer not to engage in discussing one's personal financial picture unless advice is specifically sought. My request was about VR availability, not opinion on credit card debt. Like it or not, the minute one's swipes a CC, one incurs and agrees to a debt, no matter how short term.

I hope there is no tit for tat in proceeding posts.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by neworleans flyer
Broke my cherry and did my very first VR purchase today after receiving my BB card in the mail yesterday. I live in nola and have 2 CVS's in my area, first one was dry but the clerk was very helpful and told me they replenish on Thursdays. The second one I struck gold (er, white)! I bought the 3 that they had, put $500 each on them and with a single transaction - paid $1511.85 and walked on out. Scanned my DL but other than that no issues with having to pre-notify or call my cc company (I used my Chase M/C) and was out the door in minutes.

'
Thanks for that post on your stop at Walgreens, NOflyer.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by maksimfa
It all comes down to your comfort level.

First, if you buy $5k can you unload that 5k in one day? So for folks who have multiple cards, yes, sure... but personally, I fear being stuck with cards. I want to load and unload as quickly as possible.

What I started doing was buying $2k for the card, late evenings, around 10 or 11pm, load $1k instantly, another $1k shortly after midnight, then bill pay immediately.
Thanks for your kind post and I like your methodology; thanks for sharing that.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:21 pm

'
Thanks for that post on your stop at Walgreens, NOflyer.
We kind of know for a long time that Walgreens are the dead zone for VRs.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thewhitezone

I have seen ample quantities at 7-11 and Duane Reade and decided to test the cash-only consensus since I believe that YMMV is the ultimate maxim for the points game (and for life). No dice.

I should also note that in every store, the staff knew exactly what i was looking for and knew the drill. Interestingly, I've gotten attitude from CVS staff at two of the manhattan locations, but in the boros is where they are voluntarily telling me when to try back.

Nonetheless, i got nothing to show so far. Not that I was expecting instant gratification after reading about the NYC dearth. But still, if you ARE having success in NYC, how are you achieving it?
NY and NYC is tough, it's one area I truly would think twice about getting into the MS game, unless I wanted to to do the Visa GC deal and load it at WM or just use the Visa GC and bought MO's. My last trip to Lawn Guyland I couldn't find one VR...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
There are two schools of thought on this.

1) YMMV and so what you are comfortable with

2) screw it and get what you can the quickest way, and I'm leaning this way. Time is money so if I can walk into a CVS and buy 5K I'll buy 5K. Since that is the max Corp allows, but we all know that managers make up their own rules too, but the registers are hardwired for 5K/day if you DL is scanned. So what I have started to do is, if I'm close to a CVS, whether I'm in PHX or our traveling for work I stop in and look for the beans and if there are some, I buy the max I can.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Not even sure why 7-11 or Walgreens even bothers to sell VRs anymore. No one is going to buy it cash only. Not sure if OD still sells it but if they still do they mind as well rip all of the VRs down from the shelves because its just going to collect dust.
Its very simple, many people actually do pay with ca$h and have no idea what MSing is. No different then I see people at gas stations that charge the same for credit or cash paying in cash. Or supermarkets where folks run up a large bill and then yep pay in cash, etc etc.

those paying for VRs with ca$h just happens to be the targeted audience that the VR folks are after, since they most probably dont have a CC or bank acct. We are not a part of the targeted audience and if anything are the nightmare to these companys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.