Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:13 pm

I found one Chevron gas station that has a store, and I found they sell PayPal reload debit Mastercard and Netspend reload pack and accept payment by credit card. Do you know Netspend reload pack that you an reload up to $400 and charge $3.95 activation fee? Is it good? I saw it can be reloaded i to netspend visa or mastercard....so why people are so inclined to buy VR more than Netspend if they both have same feature (billpay, etc).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
For the ones who are buying 1k-5k at once, are they still swiping you license? Why do they do that? I used to buy 1k at once, but ever since they starting swiping the ID, I just get 500 at a time....which has completely slowed my game!!!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by express3
For the ones who are buying 1k-5k at once, are they still swiping you license? Why do they do that? I used to buy 1k at once, but ever since they starting swiping the ID, I just get 500 at a time....which has completely slowed my game!!!
I never do less than 3K, most of the time 5k, always a scan above 1k-- the real reason they do it-- who the hell knows. I've heard fraud alert, money laundering, illegal alien transport... I know longer worry about it, yesterday bought 5k with wifey right behind me buying another 5k.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by JRV62
I never do less than 3K, most of the time 5k, always a scan above 1k-- the real reason they do it-- who the hell knows. I've heard fraud alert, money laundering, illegal alien transport... I know longer worry about it, yesterday bought 5k with wifey right behind me buying another 5k.
Never done more than 2k at once. You do all 5k on the same card? I personally have never felt good about doing that, and not like it'd matter anyway these days so hard to find them in my neck of the woods.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:24 pm

I buy 10x500 (oneV or VR) once a week. I think swiping ID is to loosely enforce 5k rule.
U can buy 2 by ringing up separately. U can also go to Walgreen (oneV not sure of VR) no ID.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by joykid
I found one Chevron gas station that has a store, and I found they sell PayPal reload debit Mastercard and Netspend reload pack and accept payment by credit card. Do you know Netspend reload pack that you an reload up to $400 and charge $3.95 activation fee? Is it good? I saw it can be reloaded i to netspend visa or mastercard....so why people are so inclined to buy VR more than Netspend if they both have same feature (billpay, etc).
Search in the forum for netspend. I'll let you draw your own conclusion about that product.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
The local grocer done went and stomped on my aorta. After telling me last week VRs could be paid for with CC, their register disagreed.

I have now bought 5 VRs, with four bought at CVS nearby, one at CVS far, far away.

Did $1.5k in one visit. I think I could have done more. I offered my ID and it was looked at, not scanned.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:05 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
10k spend, VR please don't go!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Why? What is the fear? You will never make enough points that way...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by terpfan101
Never done more than 2k at once. You do all 5k on the same card? I personally have never felt good about doing that, and not like it'd matter anyway these days so hard to find them in my neck of the woods.
This is the reason to do 5K, if they are to come by and you find 5K, then buy them.... Just bought 5K more today and it was the first time my Citi Exec card got a fraud alert.. Took all of 45 seconds to clear it up..
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:26 am

Dang, my local stores are running low on ice cream.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by dmo580
Don't U like milk shakes?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dmo580
well its been in the mid 70's here in so cal so we have been going for a scoppe after picking up particlemn jr from school.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:34 pm

This is likely bogus, but I wanted to know if anyone else heard this - especially in Chicago and surrounding burbs:

I've had a hard time finding VRs for about a month. Stores that usually have them have been out, and some new stores I have been to didn't even look like they were carrying them. I went in to one of my 2 regular stores today and there were none on the rack. When I asked if they are still carrying them I was told that no CVS stores are carrying them anymore. I asked if this was something she was told by her management, or did they actually receive a memo. She stated an e-mail was sent and that it said something about them having a problem with InComm (she didn't know that name, I'm filling in) or the payment processor.

She also said something about the fact that one reason was a problem that people were earning extrabux with the purchase of VRs (I don't know if that was ever true or not - but I have a feeling if it was, it hasn't been for a while).

Anyway - I don't think I buy it - but curious if others heard any recent localized reports.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by terpfan101
Same card, she's an AU. Been doing it for about a month now--not always right behind me but same day when we can. I drive by CVS on the way home and always used to stop to pick up 1-3k. No more, staying with 5k as long as they are stocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.