Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Originally Posted by TTT103
fo rex, enjoy your five days in NY. Go see a show or two. Why spend your time at CVS drugstores, given your limited time.
I visit NY 4 times a year (primary reason to visit my mom). Normally I dont require a car - and without a car, in the part of NY where my mom lives, CVS is simply not practical to get to.

However, next week I am in NY for business, but in fact, I am north of the city in Westchester County. I will have a car for the time I am in NY - and as it happens, there are 4 CVS locations within 3 miles of where my client is based.

So I do want to give this a go - and hope to be in and out in just a few minutes per day.

What I wont be doing is going anywhere near a walmart - must resist....must resist.....must resist

Last edited by forextrader; Oct 31, 2013 at 10:26 am
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:16 am

MM - always enjoy reading your posts.

And from a die-hard, Bronx Boy, Yankees fan, my congrats on the Red Sox winning the Series.

A fantastic turn around by the organisation. As much as there is rivalry between NY and Boston - it pales in comparison to here in England between Manchester United and Liverpool (now owned by the Red Sox owner John Henry). Here they take this stuff VERY VERY seriously.

It is quite a coincidence that after years of under-performing, and Manchester winning many titles, Liverpool have turned things around, and are having a very good season so far - while United are only just average so far.

Once again, congrats to Boston - will be there on Monday for some CHOWDA
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by arsenalman
I agree with you. If there is a cvs policy, then you have all the right to challenge them. More often then not, you come out on top and everything goes well. Till now, only once did the clerk stand firm.

In the end - do what you think is right. There will always be people who agree/disagree with your stance...... the person who eventually needs to make the final call is you.
Arsenalman - I see you are also from Boston, so my congrats go to you as well.

WOW - how can a Yankee/Manchester United supporter be congratulating Red Sox AND Arsenal fan (I assume your handle is referring to the London soccer team).

What you say is spot on - each person must play the game what best suits them. You will always find the people who "complain" about those who must take a firm/challenging stance are the people that are fortunate enough to live in areas where the pickings are easy and they seem to be able to virtually "print miles". I truly wish it were that easy for all of us - and for all I know, it will be for me too next week.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by arsenalman
Doesnt the clerk ask why you are ringing up 500 per transaction? What do you say to them - "ring these 6 cards separately?" Right now i do 2 separately and a few of them have raised an eyebrow on why its separate. Honestly, i do it because i dont like getting the DL scanned.
Normally this works. Ran in to a new policy yesterday for VRs. If you buy more than $500 and try to split them up in to multiple transactions the clerk said she has to fill out form saying who bought them. So she said I could do $1k and scan my ID or do $1k split $500/$500 and fill out the form.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by forextrader
Arsenalman - I see you are also from Boston, so my congrats go to you as well.

WOW - how can a Yankee/Manchester United supporter be congratulating Red Sox AND Arsenal fan (I assume your handle is referring to the London soccer team).

What you say is spot on - each person must play the game what best suits them. You will always find the people who "complain" about those who must take a firm/challenging stance are the people that are fortunate enough to live in areas where the pickings are easy and they seem to be able to virtually "print miles". I truly wish it were that easy for all of us - and for all I know, it will be for me too next week.
Thank you - at least i am not a Red Sox/Liverpool Fan, that would really make it tough for you

Good luck next week, i am sure it will be smooth sailing.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
The cashier scanned my ID but the register seems to be timing out this morning for some reason. Is this one of those intermittent things or is there something more sinister? I haven't been to any other CVSs today.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:38 pm

I just topped up 2k worth yesterday at the local CVS, no issues at all
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Barry2013
Well I just had my first dream about trying to buy VRs so this is basically what my life has become now.
It won't be the last. You're gonna have to trust me on that one.

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
Is Marathon Man so named due to the length of his posts?
Those last couple were actually short ones for him.

Mike
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by seven6zero
Normally this works. Ran in to a new policy yesterday for VRs. If you buy more than $500 and try to split them up in to multiple transactions the clerk said she has to fill out form saying who bought them. So she said I could do $1k and scan my ID or do $1k split $500/$500 and fill out the form.
I did this recently and got 2 $500s. I played dumb and asked the cashier to do one first, just to see if it would work. She did that, it worked and then we did the second card. That's how I got it to go on two transactions.

As a sidenote, those two transactions appeared as pending on my cards for a few days, and recently just disappeared completely....? Has anyone had that happen? The VRs are loaded onto my BB without an issue, but the charges don't appear on my cards anymore. Thoughts on what might be going on there?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by kawaii
As a sidenote, those two transactions appeared as pending on my cards for a few days, and recently just disappeared completely....? Has anyone had that happen? The VRs are loaded onto my BB without an issue, but the charges don't appear on my cards anymore. Thoughts on what might be going on there?
Does your CC happen to be the Ink card? If so, then congrats. You're one of the lucky ones randomly selected by Chase to receive a 1K bonus. Enjoy!

Click here for more details.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejh25
Just went into my local CVS, they would only allow load with cash.
3 of my closest CVS stores (within 1 mile drive on different directions) are Cash Only. Corporate Policy notwithstanding. Nor any challenge would work because obviously they have the district managers' approvals as evidenced by one manager literally gave me his district manager's phone number when I politely asked about it.

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Let's relax on this fellas. What works in one town wont fly in another. If it works/worked for you then great. If it didn't move on or try try again.

There is no cookie-cutter approach to getting stores to follow the rules or bend the rules in your favor.

Too many factors at play. But one thing is certain... there are a lot of CVS stores around. Find one that's right for you.
This.

I may also add that some do not know the FACT that a store is NOT required to serve you as long as the store in doing so, does not violate the laws that prevents discrimination on certain grounds (Race, Age, Religious beliefs, Disability being the most obvious). You are NOT entitled to buy what you want despite some of you seem to think so. On the other hand, you have the right to choose a store to do business with. So as the store also has a right to choose which customer to do business with as long as the store's decision is not based on factors that would violate the laws.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
This happens frequently on Chase cards -- wait a couple more days and the charges will be back on.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:11 pm

I did this recently and got 2 $500s. I played dumb and asked the cashier to do one first, just to see if it would work. She did that, it worked and then we did the second card. That's how I got it to go on two transactions.

I've been traveling recently and went to a new CVS out of my normal area. I took 2 VRs to the counter since I was using a new card and didn't want to push it. The clerk specifically asked me to pay for the VRs one at a time because he said it was "better" for whatever reason. I said fine. I thought that was interesting.

I ended up getting a fraud alert and it took multiple phone calls to fix it. The clerk initially called to get a verification code, but it was declined. I then had to call the security center for the card and even when the CR said the transaction would be approved, it was declined again. The clerk then said to use a different card and didn't seem fazed at all that the card kept getting declined. I noticed that most CVS employees seem to have gotten used to people buying VRs and don't even bat an eye when you're buying close to the max at one time.

I finally got the transaction to go through, but it took a lot of time and I am probably on the radar now. It was probably not a good idea to use the card for such a large transaction for the first time out of state.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
...and this brings me to another point, which only some have figured out about this stuff:

this is not science so much as it is art.
When we go out and buy beans or Whitneys or VRs or whatever you want to call them, one cannot RELY 100% on everything going exactly as it did the last time you were in that store buying them.

Things change daily. People change, rules change. We have to roll with it and constantly adjust. We have to always adjust our pitches every single time. A pitch thrown by Wacha to this batter may get the Flyin' Hawaiian out but the next time he's up, that exact same pitch a 3- run bomb toward the freakin Monstah dood! (In the baseball reference, walking David Ortiz is like when a CVS says cash only lol)

When we go into CVS we have to act like a college kid using his fake ID at a bar he frequents. Every single visit has to be thought of as his first and potentially his last. Anything could change. And even though in our case we are doing nothing fake, it still raises flags. So we have to be like famous astronomers of antiquity who might TELL the church, "Oh yeah sure guys the world is flat-nod nod" when all the while they write in code about how it is very round indeed.

We are not just applying logic or numbers here. No. We are/ have to think like alchemists--trying to do our craft without getting caught up in a witch hunt... a very fitting reference for today, by the by.
Absolutely. And I believe you are one of the most knowledgeable members of FT.

We are not committing a crime. If so, we should be the dumbest criminals out there, to leave all kinds of traces by using credit cards. So I say walk into CVS or any store with an honest attitude, a firm voice and nothing to hide. We are purchasing a legal document with legal ID and verifiable US funds.

CVS has it all wrong, they should be wary of those customers who buy lots of VR with cash, and on the contrary, they should welcome customers who purchase VR with credit cards. The point is, the managers are too scared of the feds and see any large transaction as problematic.

I firmly follow the school of education and kindness. Usually that works like a charm!

Last edited by lacuadra; Oct 31, 2013 at 3:47 pm
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by lacuadra
CVS has it all wrong, they should be wary of those customers who buy lots of VR with cash, and on the contrary, they should welcome customers who purchase VR with credit cards.
Do you know how many gift cards are purchased with stolen credit cards?

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...ret_servi.html

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/...plex_cred.html

etc, etc...

The stores themselves would *love* for you to pay in cash only - if it wasn't for those pesky reporting requirements. While cash is great for a store - massive amounts of it are a red flag that money laundering is going on. And while the store itself doesn't care, the government does, and the store needs to play ball.

Stolen credit cards are easier to produce than any decent counterfeit monies. The stores *absolutely* have a reason to be wary of large purchases on CC.

That being said, CVS new system of scanning DLs *could conceivably* cut down on this.
I don't know exactly how their system is configured however. If it actually has a link to the DMV to confirm the data is accurate, then it is all but foolproof (you would either need to hack the DMV, or else inject false data into the connection).
I don't think however that it connects to the DMV. I think it just reads the info off the license barcode to store it for reporting/tracking purposes.

Since many states DL numbers follow easy algorithms, it would be very easy to also make a fake DL. Even if they had one linked to the DMV, I could still create a fake driver's license with all your info and just put my face on it.

http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.