Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
TO me it's worth it given what I've outlined.
You have opened my eyes to a whole new world! I feel i may be slowly be going over my neck for sure now.. Thanks again MM.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a new one...

Since there are only 2 CVS out of 7 around us within the 5 miles drive, still carry VRs, so we are the frequent customers of them.

Today we were at one of such. The cashier knew us but told us that he could not ring this up as he was told it had to be cash or debit only. He would call the store manager to ring us up as he knows we are regular customers and the regular store manager has no issue let us buying it with CC. (still on the $1K a day limit fwiw)

Anyway, an older gentleman whom we have never met came to the counter after the cashier called. He said he could only take cash or debit. We explained to him we had bought VRs at this store probably over 50 times in the past and always could pay with CC. The cashier chimed in to say, "They are regular customers and they are allowed to pay with CC." I politely asked, would you try to see if the system takes it? He said the system would take it but he would not sell it... At the end, he was very reluctant to ring up a $500 and studied husband's C1 Quick Silver for like 5 minutes before he would let us swipe the card. Then he turned the card back trying to use the CVC. I suggested the system may want to have the last 4 digits of the card. To that he said I understand. Transaction went thru fine.

On the 2nd $500 we wanted to put it on husband's Club Carlson card which has seen CVS transactions from the 503.95 to 1007.90 many many many times. He studied that card for another 5 minutes but this time he keyed in something and something again and then again - the transaction spit out a chit asking for the merchant to call for authorization - nothing new, we had that happened before but when that happened, inevitably the cashier would mess up... So he said our bank declined it (not true, it just wanted the merchant to call for authorization, clearly printed on the chit he printed out to show us.)

Nonetheless he said he voided the transaction.
We called at the store using store's phone and he was watching at the side. It was a 100% automatic system, after we confirmed the transaction, the automatic system said the block was lifted and now you could use your card again. This guy still refused it. He also refused me to purchase $1K using my own Club Carlson card, claiming we used 3 cards to purchase the prepaid cards and he would only sell it with cash and debit...

So I threw down the 2 VRs to the counter I was holding that I intended to use my own Club Carlson to buy. And get this, the guy told me I should keep it because "you have already paid for that." Hello? You only rang up one transaction of $500 successfully, and screwed up the 2nd one. I haven't even had a chance for my own purchase. And you thought we had paid for these 2 VRs? Scary.

No wonder this store always has ample inventory...

When we returned home after running other errands, I logged in US Bank's mobile site, did not see today's attempted authorization. We called US Bank customer service and had a rep to go over what was going on. The rep said it looked like the store tried to run the card THREE times that was the reason the card being declined - back to back same amount transaction being attempted rapidly. The CSR said the card works normally and there is no blockage on the card any more (it was cleared during our call into the automatic system.)

So, now my husband has his theory that, this guy may purposely enter 3 authorizations to deliberately cause a decline so he did not have to try again to sell us the VR, because the Club Carlson card is very seasoned and has not had a decline from CVS for the past 8 to 9 months. Apparently this guy is higher up than the regular store manager who used to ring up our transactions because the regular store manager was also around when the cashier called. Instead of going up to the counter, the regular store manager went outside to have his smoke break. Our guess is he does not want to be caught in the middle as he knows we would say to this guy that he accepts CC for the VR purchases from us all along.

Good thing we dont have much to MS about currently, nor any spend requirement to meet. Next time we go to the better neighborhoods of the town where all the CVS stores are friendly but some constantly run out of VRs for good reasons.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by ddallas
Maybe don't use a scissors. I use a Presidential $1 coin. Works like a champ.
Originally Posted by Majuki
I think I still have one of those somewhere around here from 3 years ago...
hmmm, I've got a roll of those $1 coins. Maybe I should use them to buy a VR? Do you think the clerk would want to scan my DL? Or would they even know those are legal tender?

Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
hmmm, I've got a roll of those $1 coins. Maybe I should use them to buy a VR? Do you think the clerk would want to scan my DL? Or would they even know those are legal tender?

Keep them on you, if ever told "Cash only" pull them out! Preferably 504 of them .
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
You have long distant runners balls for sure. $60k on a $6.5k limit, is very impressive. And with a card known for perk abuse shutdown, to boot.

Personally I've moved most of my citi card credit lines to TYP and only hit 2x CL.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
With this plan, I've been able to pull $60+k a month of the TYP in recent months... and plan to do that going forward.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DziVang
Can't really blame him. These guys are so desperate for their jobs so they are so reluctant to do such high value transactions. My local CVS new manager didn't believe the corporate limit is $5k/day until I asked him to double check the corporate memo and he also had to call the corporate number to confirm that I can purchase bean with CC. Took almost 40 minutes for the purchase but he remembers me now and he said he'll have no problem next time if I need to buy $5k bean again.
If you read my previous post, you'll see that my 1st attempt was only for 4 beans which the cashier refused, I asked how many will she allowed, expecting to get at least 2. She said none & told me to meet the manager the next day. I prefer to buy 2-3k every couple of days to spread around my cc. The 5k purchase is just to show to the manager what his corporate policy actually is and just treat me like other 3 stores in the area.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Originally Posted by Happy
Since there are only 2 CVS out of 7 around us within the 5 miles drive, still carry VRs, so we are the frequent customers of them.

Today we were at one of such. The cashier knew us but told us that he could not ring this up as he was told it had to be cash or debit only. He would call the store manager to ring us up as he knows we are regular customers and the regular store manager has no issue let us buying it with CC. (still on the $1K a day limit fwiw)

Anyway, an older gentleman whom we have never met came to the counter after the cashier called. He said he could only take cash or debit. We explained to him we had bought VRs at this store probably over 50 times in the past and always could pay with CC. The cashier chimed in to say, "They are regular customers and they are allowed to pay with CC." I politely asked, would you try to see if the system takes it? He said the system would take it but he would not sell it... At the end, he was very reluctant to ring up a $500 and studied husband's C1 Quick Silver for like 5 minutes before he would let us swipe the card. Then he turned the card back trying to use the CVC. I suggested the system may want to have the last 4 digits of the card. To that he said I understand. Transaction went thru fine.

On the 2nd $500 we wanted to put it on husband's Club Carlson card which has seen CVS transactions from the 503.95 to 1007.90 many many many times. He studied that card for another 5 minutes but this time he keyed in something and something again and then again - the transaction spit out a chit asking for the merchant to call for authorization - nothing new, we had that happened before but when that happened, inevitably the cashier would mess up... So he said our bank declined it (not true, it just wanted the merchant to call for authorization, clearly printed on the chit he printed out to show us.)

Nonetheless he said he voided the transaction.
We called at the store using store's phone and he was watching at the side. It was a 100% automatic system, after we confirmed the transaction, the automatic system said the block was lifted and now you could use your card again. This guy still refused it. He also refused me to purchase $1K using my own Club Carlson card, claiming we used 3 cards to purchase the prepaid cards and he would only sell it with cash and debit...

So I threw down the 2 VRs to the counter I was holding that I intended to use my own Club Carlson to buy. And get this, the guy told me I should keep it because "you have already paid for that." Hello? You only rang up one transaction of $500 successfully, and screwed up the 2nd one. I haven't even had a chance for my own purchase. And you thought we had paid for these 2 VRs? Scary.

No wonder this store always has ample inventory...

When we returned home after running other errands, I logged in US Bank's mobile site, did not see today's attempted authorization. We called US Bank customer service and had a rep to go over what was going on. The rep said it looked like the store tried to run the card THREE times that was the reason the card being declined - back to back same amount transaction being attempted rapidly. The CSR said the card works normally and there is no blockage on the card any more (it was cleared during our call into the automatic system.)

So, now my husband has his theory that, this guy may purposely enter 3 authorizations to deliberately cause a decline so he did not have to try again to sell us the VR, because the Club Carlson card is very seasoned and has not had a decline from CVS for the past 8 to 9 months. Apparently this guy is higher up than the regular store manager who used to ring up our transactions because the regular store manager was also around when the cashier called. Instead of going up to the counter, the regular store manager went outside to have his smoke break. Our guess is he does not want to be caught in the middle as he knows we would say to this guy that he accepts CC for the VR purchases from us all along.

Good thing we dont have much to MS about currently, nor any spend requirement to meet. Next time we go to the better neighborhoods of the town where all the CVS stores are friendly but some constantly run out of VRs for good reasons.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:30 am

Next time we go to the better neighborhoods of the town where all the CVS stores are friendly but some constantly run out of VRs for good reasons.
I had my share of embarrassing moments in CVS & Staples. Now I got used to it.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: AA CX AC
Originally Posted by MileLife
Exactly
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:37 am
Suspended

I guess I'm lucky, I've never had an issue. I go to two CVSs depending on what other shopping I'm doing. Both have given me no issues buying 1k at a time. I think it's because I'm not in a big city.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:39 am

Sometimes being in smaller city, does attract unwanted attention. The 70 year old that was standing behind me just went "you really bought $1000 worth of items?" when I was getting 2 beans.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileLife
Never feel embarrassed in CVS store or any stores. I am more shocked by the incompetence of this guy than anything else.

It is sometimes even as old handed as we are, there are still some situations that really make us scratching our heads, like this latest one. So this never seen before guy did not want to sell us with 3 different CCs nor sell us with 1 single CC... Cash or Debit only regardless what the register says, or the fact we bought from this store every 7 to 10 days for $2K/2 persons visit.

I should have taken the 2 blank VRs that he told me to keep because "you have paid for it" and bring them to the friendly store to activate them... But I was so shocked by his total incompetence and possible being senile? as he only rang up one card which took him a good 10 minutes to do so - tried to enter the CVC but had no idea he had to enter the last 4 digits of the card. Then he caused a request for Authorization on the 2nd card because he rang it three times according to US Bank's rep - hence the request but it was NOT a decline. Yet this guy insisted it was a decline despite the chit he printed out said to call a number with Merchant ID reference to request an Authorization number!

On top of that this guy looks like he is in a much higher position based on 1) The regular store manager pretended he did not know us, totally ignored our presence and walked out the store to take a smoke break.
2) The way he dressed - no store manager I ever encountered would dress in a very "dressy" way because they have to help out in physical chores in the store, so nobody would be in clothes that are far more suitable in an office than in a CVS store.
Then he is completely incompetent, and totally ignores the "Corporate Policy".
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Never feel embarrassed in CVS store or any stores. I am more shocked by the incompetence of this guy than anything else.
^ There's nothing to be embarrassed about, we don't do anything illegal. The more you are embarrassed/afraid, the more it confirms their suspicion. Thus, the reason I went to the manager, I'm not going to let those naive cashiers branded me as suspicious just because I want to buy the beans with my own CC.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
relating to all the above instances being discussed, I have run into the following at many stores... CVS, RA, WG, DR, grocer, etc:

(at anything that comes up over $500)

Store: Sir can we see your ID?
Me: Sure. (and I hand them the card and my ID)

Store: We have had some instances where people have stolen peoples's CCs, then come in here quickly, and bought GCs like the ones you are buying. Then they toss the stolen CCs and take off. All we have is them on camera but they could be wearing a hat or something so you cant even always see who it was.

Then they cash these out --and some know there's a PIN feature so they get the money off quickly, and the person who had their CC stolen is out of luck!

This is why we need to check your ID.

I always have it ready to show and almost WANT the clerk to see it and get a manager so no one is nervous and everything complies. That way there's no question and thus, no issue with some guy (me) buying lots of these GCs.

I do like that some stores do not check so you can sometimes use a GC to buy a GC or PP item, but in general I have no problem if the store has new policies whereas they need to see my ID when I buy over a certain amount. I do NOT like it if they want to photocopy it or write info in some loose binder that could be snagged by anyone, or something like that.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:34 pm

I have talked to a cashier @ CVS recently and she said that if a cashier allows a customer to buy over the allowed limit (i.e. over $5k in multiple transactions) then that could be grounds for firing that employee. She also said that she knew of a person being fired for that in the past.
So, that is something to keep in mind for mile churners when you are pushing the boundaries...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.