Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just counted my used GCs and I was amazed to find that I had over 200 Vanilla cards alone. Since all of them were loaded with $500, that means I did just over $100,000 MS using VGCs since July last year.

Adding up my Chase GCs as best I could and adding the occasional $100 and $200 card from OM, it appears I did close to $140K in GCs since April. Add 94 VRs and it gets to well over $180K MS total since I started doing this last Spring.

I might still be in the low range of MSers, but this is way more than I thought I was doing. I better slow down.
or speed up
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rick471
I'm with Ski...I am close to 200 Vr's since Dec
That is more like it, beans all the way..
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just counted my used GCs and I was amazed to find that I had over 200 Vanilla cards alone. Since all of them were loaded with $500, that means I did just over $100,000 MS using VGCs since July last year.

Adding up my Chase GCs as best I could and adding the occasional $100 and $200 card from OM, it appears I did close to $140K in GCs since April. Add 94 VRs and it gets to well over $180K MS total since I started doing this last Spring.

I might still be in the low range of MSers, but this is way more than I thought I was doing. I better slow down.
What's the reason for keeping used VR cards?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by maksimfa
They meant buying amex gift cards online through a portal, citi treats as cash advance. Not in stores.

^ ^ ^

Sorry, I didn't think it was that confusing, but maybe if you're just learning the game... CVS doesn't code transactions according to what you buy, so therefore AMEX GC's bought at CVS wouldn't be different from VR's bought at CVS.

I was speaking in regards to AMEX online purchased GC's.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by LWT3
I think its good to keep them at least til you paid all bills on the bb they loaded to but i also keep all mine to be cool and weird. Someday who knows, there could be some fun contest about them at a do or something
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
If we have an unusually cold winter, an increasingly likely possibility, I'll glue them to the walls for added insulation.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
On the next episode of Hoarders...
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by maksimfa
On the next episode of Hoarders...
. Guilty...
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:09 pm

I am new to the whole MS scene and registered for BB yesterday. Once I get my BB card in the mail, I will hit up my local CVS and pick up a few VR cards and try this out
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:29 pm

Seems my CVS has a new rule. I walk in there with my SO and the clerk comes to me and tells me if I buy VR my SO cannot since we are breaking the 5k a day rule. I ask can I buy a non-VR from the rack. "No that is against the rules."

I guess it has somehow changed to $5k per household although no other store has ever had a issue with the both of us buying VR cards. We are Non-white and obviously I do not believe it has to do with anything regarding race although since we walked in together.....it should be assumed we are together. I also do know that there is a worker there who has told me he/she buys those cards so they can travel for free so my mind came up with a possible reason why this rule was instilled.

Last edited by snugglening; Feb 15, 2014 at 5:44 pm Reason: Needless info
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by snugglening
Seems my CVS has a new rule. I walk in there with my SO and the clerk comes to me and tells me if I buy VR my SO cannot since we are breaking the 5k a day rule. I ask can I buy a non-VR from the rack. "No that is against the rules."

I guess it has somehow changed to $5k per household although no other store has ever had a issue with the both of us buying VR cards. We are Non-white and obviously I do not believe it has to do with anything regarding race although since we walked in together.....it should be assumed we are together. I also do know that there is a worker there who has told me he/she buys those cards so they can travel for free so my mind came up with a possible reason why this rule was instilled.

Im a bit mad, but I am going to test this out tomorrow and bring a black friend who does not live at my residence and have them go in first and I will follow right behind to see if I get any push back that we together. Dont worry Fters I will not do anything ignorant to ruin this ,but I hope you can maybe see my point of view where I feel a bit singled out.
Omg lol. Don't worry, CVS is very YMMV, just have your SO go in a few minutes before you do next time. No biggie.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:47 pm

Smile

Im a bit mad, but I am going to test this out tomorrow and bring a black friend who does not live at my residence and have them go in first and I will follow right behind to see if I get any push back that we together. Dont worry Fters I will not do anything ignorant to ruin this ,but I hope you can maybe see my point of view where I feel a bit singled out.
MS bringing about racial harmony.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by IBJanky
I am new to the whole MS scene and registered for BB yesterday. Once I get my BB card in the mail, I will hit up my local CVS and pick up a few VR cards and try this out

IBJanky? From FWF?? I will never forget that thread.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:29 pm

Rules tend to vary by Clerk/Manager/District. Like others here, I've been told all kinds of things. Try a different clerk or buy 5k at the front of the store and have the spouse buy 5k at the pharmacy.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by DWinger
are you referring to South San Francisco Bay Area? I think there's a lot of competition for the cards here. The locations that I go to are restocked regularly. however the supply is usually depleted within a couple of days. It took awhile to figure out when they restocked.
I've seen one location have all 2 & 1/2 stacks disappear in 24 hours. Either lots of people bought it during that time frame, or it's been hidden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.