Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
On what do you base that it is a 24-hour rolling period, not per day?
my experience!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
my experience!
+1
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:27 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:08 pm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Is the 5K daily limit over a 24-hour rolling period or daily? After buying 5K last night around 9:30 p.m., I got the 5K limit message this morning when I tried to buy 5K again at 8:30 a.m. But this is only the second time that has happened, and with all the 5K purchases I make at Charlie Victor Sierra's, I know I've been able to make 5K purchases a number of times, on consecutive days, within 24 hours. Maybe it's supposed to be a 24-hour rolling period but that's typically not the case? Anyone know?
It is neither a daily nor a rolling 24 hour period. It is less than 24 hours rolling, which makes it appear daily to most people, unless you do what you did and try to buy some in the evening and then in the morning.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
It is neither a daily nor a rolling 24 hour period. It is less than 24 hours rolling, which makes it appear daily to most people, unless you do what you did and try to buy some in the evening and then in the morning.
Thanks, that sounds about right.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
I tried 23 hours, did not work and have not tried 24 1/2 hours....

depends on E/W coast? or individual store program? not a major issue!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:31 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:23 pm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
I tried 23 hours, did not work and have not tried 24 1/2 hours....

depends on E/W coast? or individual store program? not a major issue!
Yes, I am east coast, so this might actually make a lot of sense. Perhaps west coast is 24 hours and each zone further away is another hour or so.. who knows. Bad programmers.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I walked into my local Beanery and the cashier states" "Hey, Mr. ****! How are you today?" I expressed my shock that he remembered me by my last name. I go in there a few times a month, but I didn't think it was that often. He mentioned that his wife has some interest in MS. I advised him that I would provide some tips when I come in there. I think he was either the manager, or the store manager. Life is good when you're a known MSer and dont' have to deal with scrutiny.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:34 pm

I've looked into the timing of the DL "daily" limit for a few months--and right now my best guess is that it resets at 7 PM Eastern time. So you can buy your limit at 6:50 PM and buy your "next day" limit at 7:10 PM. The varying reports in this thread show a lot of confusion partially because time zones aren't mentioned. I'm on the West coast, so the reset time is 4 PM Pacific time for me. If I buy at 4:30 PM, I've got to wait through 4 PM the NEXT day to be able to buy more. But if I buy at 3:30 PM, I can buy more any time after 4 PM the same day.

I welcome corrections, verifications, or snarky remarks or insults about this opinion. Go check it out. Perfectly happy to correct it if it's wrong!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Lobachevsky
I've looked into the timing of the DL "daily" limit for a few months--and right now my best guess is that it resets at 7 PM Eastern time. So you can buy your limit at 6:50 PM and buy your "next day" limit at 7:10 PM. The varying reports in this thread show a lot of confusion partially because time zones aren't mentioned. I'm on the West coast, so the reset time is 4 PM Pacific time for me. If I buy at 4:30 PM, I've got to wait through 4 PM the NEXT day to be able to buy more. But if I buy at 3:30 PM, I can buy more any time after 4 PM the same day.

I welcome corrections, verifications, or snarky remarks or insults about this opinion. Go check it out. Perfectly happy to correct it if it's wrong!
You are correct - it is midnight GMT
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Indeed, then you can walk in like you own the place. Heck, the way we all spend we are probably star customers.

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
...Life is good when you're a known MSer and dont' have to deal with scrutiny....
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:20 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:22 pm

I welcome corrections, verifications, or snarky remarks or insults about this opinion.
How about an emotional outburst?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:37 pm

That makes the most sense yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.