Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:45 pm

Tried to do 4k yesterday w/ AmEx GCs. Manager there wouldn't let me do GCs so I did 2k on a CC and left. Went to a nearby CVS later and did 2k on one GC no problem. Gonna go unload the other 3k GC later and see if I get blocked for doing 2k+ at the register.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by kwest2
Bought at CVS today, and instead of the receipt showing "ACTIVATED" for the cards, it now says "Will be activated within 24 hours". Sure enough, over an hour later the cards still are not activated. Anyone experience this?
This happened to me before too.
The only thing i noticed that day was that I was being helped with a new person that I never seen before. And, next to the register, I saw manager was showing things to do with another new employee. So, I assumed that their transactions probably being audited.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by oozze
The only thing i noticed that day was that I was being helped with a new person that I never seen before. And, next to the register, I saw manager was showing things to do with another new employee. So, I assumed that their transactions probably being audited.
Checked 4 CVS in last couple of days here in Columbus area. All four were out of VGC
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA BAEC FL WN US SPG Marriott Hyatt UR
5th time's a charm

Originally Posted by mfinn
Datapoint: Four Baltimore metro area CVS stores uncharacteristically beanless today.
Plenty of beans at the 5th CVS I visited. Bought 1 today with cc, "ACTIVATED" shown on receipt. Loaded to BB instantly.

Last edited by mfinn; Jan 13, 2014 at 7:18 pm Reason: to show wording on receipt
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:52 pm

slightly off topic, if anybody knows any Rite-Aids in downtown Philly or NW suburbs that take credit cards for moneypaks send me a message please. Not looking to hit them too hard.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:00 pm

Bought at CVS today, and instead of the receipt showing "ACTIVATED" for the cards, it now says "Will be activated within 24 hours". Sure enough, over an hour later the cards still are not activated. Anyone experience this?
Me too. Took about 5 hours to activate.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver
Where are people getting beans in the ATL area? Over the past few months, I've been looking at every CVS from downtown to Decatur to Dunwoody, and haven't had any success.

Any PM's would be appreciated. I promise not to deplete supply... I'm just trying to get 5 or so per month.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have read others posting this but I have never seen in person on all of my beans I have bought, I wonder if it is a regional thing....
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by oozze
Exact same here actually. The employee was new and a manager was helping. Well now I'm frustrated, I tried to load the cards just now (exactly 24hr later) and the VR is now shut down due to too many attempts. Argh.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:40 am

Has anyone tried to buy $5K at one store with ID scan and then $5K at another store with ID scan? I tried this once and was told that I had reached my limit at the second store.

However, I was wondering if anyone else has had luck with this as I may try it at two stores in different towns to see if its a geographic thing.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chunks1584
Has anyone tried to buy $5K at one store with ID scan and then $5K at another store with ID scan? I tried this once and was told that I had reached my limit at the second store.

However, I was wondering if anyone else has had luck with this as I may try it at two stores in different towns to see if its a geographic thing.
once you go over $5k within a 24 hour period (does not reset at midnight) a receipt pops out the machine saying you bought more than $5k and you can try again tomorrow.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
once you go over $5k within a 24 hour period (does not reset at midnight) a receipt pops out the machine saying you bought more than $5k and you can try again tomorrow.
Is the 5K daily limit over a 24-hour rolling period or daily? After buying 5K last night around 9:30 p.m., I got the 5K limit message this morning when I tried to buy 5K again at 8:30 a.m. But this is only the second time that has happened, and with all the 5K purchases I make at Charlie Victor Sierra's, I know I've been able to make 5K purchases a number of times, on consecutive days, within 24 hours. Maybe it's supposed to be a 24-hour rolling period but that's typically not the case? Anyone know?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Is the 5K daily limit over a 24-hour rolling period or daily? After buying 5K last night around 9:30 p.m., I got the 5K limit message this morning when I tried to buy 5K again at 8:30 a.m. But this is only the second time that has happened, and with all the 5K purchases I make at Charlie Victor Sierra's, I know I've been able to make 5K purchases a number of times, on consecutive days, within 24 hours. Maybe it's supposed to be a 24-hour rolling period but that's typically not the case? Anyone know?
Charlie Victor Sierra's sells counterfeit 'Beans' The Authentic Vanilla and reloads are sold at CVS Pharmacy near U. Their limit is $5000 24-hour rolling period.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Was able to buy $4k last night in 1 transaction with CC in Indianapolis, ID check but no other issues. All were active on the spot per the receipt.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
Charlie Victor Sierra's sells counterfeit 'Beans' The Authentic Vanilla and reloads are sold at CVS Pharmacy near U. Their limit is $5000 24-hour rolling period.
On what do you base that it is a 24-hour rolling period, not per day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.