Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:28 pm
  #2206  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by jedck
CVS in Indiana was more meagerly stocked than usual when I went in this morning, but cashier sold me 2 at $450/each without blinking, so I'm tentatively optimistic.
Can I ask why you would leave $100 laying on the table?
cvasara is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:55 pm
  #2207  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by cvasara
Can I ask why you would leave $100 laying on the table?
Well, by $100 you mean 100 points--so more like $1.75 as I value my points. I'm willing to sacrifice $1.75 to fly slightly further under the radar. I think there's something slightly less psychologically jarring to a cashier in a $908 charge than a $1008 charge. I don't want to raise eyebrows more than necessary since I've got a good thing going with this particular CVS. I don't have time to do VR's for MS, but they're invaluable to me for hitting spending requirements.
jedck is offline  
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:13 pm
  #2208  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 636
Originally Posted by jedck
Well, by $100 you mean 100 points--so more like $1.75 as I value my points. I'm willing to sacrifice $1.75 to fly slightly further under the radar. I think there's something slightly less psychologically jarring to a cashier in a $908 charge than a $1008 charge. I don't want to raise eyebrows more than necessary since I've got a good thing going with this particular CVS. I don't have time to do VR's for MS, but they're invaluable to me for hitting spending requirements.
I notice that all of my local CVS (also in IN) are out of VR in a very short period.

I remembered seeing new lot of VR (~ 50 cards) came about two weeks ago and I still saw a lot of them last week. This week, all gone.
godsquare is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:46 am
  #2209  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PHX & AGP
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 11,629
Originally Posted by jedck
Well, by $100 you mean 100 points--so more like $1.75 as I value my points. I'm willing to sacrifice $1.75 to fly slightly further under the radar. I think there's something slightly less psychologically jarring to a cashier in a $908 charge than a $1008 charge. I don't want to raise eyebrows more than necessary since I've got a good thing going with this particular CVS. I don't have time to do VR's for MS, but they're invaluable to me for hitting spending requirements.
If the cashier knows you they wont care, I have 4 CVS's I go to, to fill up 5 BB cards, and not once Do I have a problem... Last month I had a problem with chase and "fraud alerts" on my cards, but that seems not the case now. We all have a comfort level we need to operate at..
FlightNurse is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:08 am
  #2210  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Okinawa
Posts: 2,613
Originally Posted by godsquare
I notice that all of my local CVS (also in IN) are out of VR in a very short period.

I remembered seeing new lot of VR (~ 50 cards) came about two weeks ago and I still saw a lot of them last week. This week, all gone.
Where in IN?
The_Wrath_of_Khan is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:51 am
  #2211  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 67
I had planned to cancel my Serve and switch to BB, but is there any reason to if you don't need to write paper checks and you are just loading online with VRs? It seems to me the draw for BB was the online bill pay, and since Serve has that as well now, is there a major benefit to the BB I'm missing? I'm pretty diligent reading through threads but I guess the answer might be buried in a thread somewhere. I'm not maxing out limits, I'm a smaller player.
dmattj is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:54 am
  #2212  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 118
Isn't Serve limited to $2500 per month as opposed to $5000 per month for BB?

Originally Posted by dmattj
I had planned to cancel my Serve and switch to BB, but is there any reason to if you don't need to write paper checks and you are just loading online with VRs? It seems to me the draw for BB was the online bill pay, and since Serve has that as well now, is there a major benefit to the BB I'm missing? I'm pretty diligent reading through threads but I guess the answer might be buried in a thread somewhere. I'm not maxing out limits, I'm a smaller player.
pointnoob is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:02 am
  #2213  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 118
Originally Posted by godsquare
I notice that all of my local CVS (also in IN) are out of VR in a very short period.

I remembered seeing new lot of VR (~ 50 cards) came about two weeks ago and I still saw a lot of them last week. This week, all gone.
Could be any number of possibilities. If it is unusual for that store to sell that number of VRs my first thought would be that someone hid them or even walked off with the unactivated cards. I have gone to CVS stores that had none and then suddenly 2,3,4 cards appear on the rack probably as a result of an employee finding some hidden away on a shelf somewhere. With all the reports of supply drying up people are probably more tempted to resort to such underhanded tactics.

I was told by a couple of CVS managers that they were pretty sure they were not being discontinued and the lack of cards was due to a new version coming out. If nothing shows up by the end of October I am going to assume that VRs at CVS are no more in my area.
pointnoob is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:14 pm
  #2214  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by ddallas
I was thinking that is what they are doing in my area. Had new ones for weeks, then they all got bought. Now have old ones again with no new ones on rack so my impression is they are letting them run down to clean out the old ones from the warehouse and backrooms. Or maybe it is just happenstance. Several stores are out of VR but still have plenty of Visa $500 giftcards on the racks. In some stores Visa $500 have gone from stuffed racks to noticeably thinned out in the last month. But no shortage of Visa.
I personally think it's just happenstance. I've seen both versions on the racks for the last few months and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why one is there instead of the other (and oftentimes both old and new versions are on the racks at the same time). I think the stores are clearing out whatever inventory they have in the back (or whatever is coming from the warehouse) and since there are both old and new in inventory we're seeing both.
dangw20 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:49 pm
  #2215  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Posts: 13,644
Originally Posted by jedck
Well, by $100 you mean 100 points--so more like $1.75 as I value my points. I'm willing to sacrifice $1.75 to fly slightly further under the radar. I think there's something slightly less psychologically jarring to a cashier in a $908 charge than a $1008 charge. I don't want to raise eyebrows more than necessary since I've got a good thing going with this particular CVS. I don't have time to do VR's for MS, but they're invaluable to me for hitting spending requirements.
I think you're doing exactly the right thing by sticking with what you're comfortable with. Everyone has a certain tolerance level. Kudos to sticking with yours, even though you recognize that there are more profitable options.

My advice (not asked for, but still), however, is that you are over-thinking it a bit. I just don't think the cashiers think about it that much. And truthfully, doing a VR for $494.35, for instance, makes it sound like you have a particular expense in mind.

Welcome to FT! Enjoy the ride.

Mike
mikeef is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:22 pm
  #2216  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 721
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
It seems like a trend now.

I will try going there again on the different shift and see what happens.

It is about 40 miles roundtrip for me though.

At least I was able to get rid of 4x$500 CGCs there. I bought beans w/them.

All in all, I liquidated $10500 in CGCs today. Not bad.
Don't mind me, but I hope you factor fuel and time into why you do 40 miles r/t to MS.

And FWIW unless there's a weird time-shift re minimum spend on a new card, you didn't really liquidate CGCs. That sentence means there was no need to buy the CGCs in the first place. You always had the alternative of buying the VRs with the same Chase CC.
zceuxbhjutf is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:32 pm
  #2217  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Don't mind me, but I hope you factor fuel and time into why you do 40 miles r/t to MS.

And FWIW unless there's a weird time-shift re minimum spend on a new card, you didn't really liquidate CGCs. That sentence means there was no need to buy the CGCs in the first place. You always had the alternative of buying the VRs with the same Chase CC.
Thanks for your input.

Yes, it is for the new cards. Yes, I do factor time and fuel.

Didn't I write above that this particular CVS which was nice to me for a while, this time REFUSED to sell beans to me w/cc payment?

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
in my favorite store today I was told "cash or debit only".
I said I bought beans w/CC many times here.
"oh, we have new manager and that's how he wants it".

In another store /new to me/ I found a lot of beans only to be told "cash only since last week".
MaineCoon is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:59 pm
  #2218  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 303
Just came back from a CVS and was excited to find a VR since I haven't seen any for a couple of weeks. But when I checked out, was told for the first time cash only. There was a pop up at the register only allow cash payment to proceed. I asked if this is something new but they are unsure. Anyone with similar experiences lately??
shihyin is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:18 pm
  #2219  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by shihyin
Just came back from a CVS and was excited to find a VR since I haven't seen any for a couple of weeks. But when I checked out, was told for the first time cash only. There was a pop up at the register only allow cash payment to proceed. I asked if this is something new but they are unsure. Anyone with similar experiences lately??
On Saturday the guy at the new (for me) CVS store happily informed me that VRs are cash-only.
I asked him: "since when?" His response was: "since last week".
Waiting for more reports..
MaineCoon is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:22 pm
  #2220  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
On Saturday the guy at the new (for me) CVS store happily informed me that VRs are cash-only.
I asked him: "since when?" His response was: "since last week".
Waiting for more reports..
I just bought some with a CC a few minutes ago, so it seems like another case of YMMV.
gofarhaveacigar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.