Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by cashback
You don't earn any points paying bills with BB. You earn points when you load it. No matter what you do with BB funds, its all the same.
Right, but brianjb was pointing out that paying the mortgage from a checking account gets no points. Using a points CC (maybe with a bonus spending goal) to buy GC/VR to fund BB to pay the bill does earn points (with the checking account paying the CC bill).

shingu79 seemed to be making the pedantic argument that one isn't actually getting ahead with BB bill pay unless someone else is paying the bill on the card/method used to fund BB. That seems to miss the whole idea of washing the funding through the Chase Blue family at grocery stores, the Ink family at OD, or anything reasonable at CVS.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:22 pm

Have been spending about 3k to 4k on my Club Carlson Biz card (credit limit is 5k) at CVS each month for the last 4 to 5 months. Last week, I spent a bit over 2k on Club Carlson. CSR needed to contact Manager who had to call the CVS head office for authorization followed by calling US bank for authorization. Everything was approved and no prob with the purchase. Today, I used Club Carlson Biz card for $500. Same procedure as last week and had no problem with the authorization. No calls from U.S. Bank on both visits. Also, used my US airways credit card for purchase of $500 and no phone call to CVS headquarter for authorization.

Is this happening to others too? Is it something CVS does now if spend a certain amount at CVS? I don't think this has to do with US bank. Am i right?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
we all might do split payments on things but be aware that if something goes wrong it could affect all things
This.

If one card in the middle is declined or "call for authorization" the whole transaction falls apart.

I honestly dont understand why people have the need to split payment on VRs. Just buy them per card. Much cleaner transaction this way.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
Have been spending about 3k to 4k on my Club Carlson Biz card (credit limit is 5k) at CVS each month for the last 4 to 5 months. Last week, I spent a bit over 2k on Club Carlson. CSR needed to contact Manager who had to call the CVS head office for authorization followed by calling US bank for authorization. Everything was approved and no prob with the purchase. Today, I used Club Carlson Biz card for $500. Same procedure as last week and had no problem with the authorization. No calls from U.S. Bank on both visits. Also, used my US airways credit card for purchase of $500 and no phone call to CVS headquarter for authorization.

Is this happening to others too? Is it something CVS does now if spend a certain amount at CVS? I don't think this has to do with US bank. Am i right?
Your post is very confusing. CSR has to call manager - CSR or which company? CVS clerks are Cashiers, they are not CSRs.

US Airways card is issued by Barclays, not US Bank.

Retailers do not have a clue of how much your CL is. The register prompts the Cashier to call for authorization which in 99% of the case it is because your bank does not let the transaction going thru before verifying you being the owner of the card and the one buying the stuff.

US Bank must have updated its fraud alert software which seems to kick in overdrive and causes a lot of such incidents for a lot of people even on very "seasoned" cards with XX,XXX CLs.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I honestly dont understand why people have the need to split payment on VRs. Just buy them per card. Much cleaner transaction this way.
There are use for split. Some splits I view as art of MS rather than just buying VRs with single payment method.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:48 pm

I've been buying VR's from a CVS and today they said they are only accepting cash for purchase of VR's. I went to another CVS which I've visited before and was able to purchase with a cc. Has anyone else experienced this?

I would think any changes would be corporate wide, not by an individual store.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by rtraveler
I've been buying VR's from a CVS and today they said they are only accepting cash for purchase of VR's. I went to another CVS which I've visited before and was able to purchase with a cc. Has anyone else experienced this?

My CVS has a sign posted that you cannot use a CC for VRs or Visa/MC gift cards. Today, I brought a VR card and a candy bar to the register and paid with my CC, and everything went smoothly.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Your post is very confusing. CSR has to call manager - CSR or which company? CVS clerks are Cashiers, they are not CSRs.

US Airways card is issued by Barclays, not US Bank.

Retailers do not have a clue of how much your CL is. The register prompts the Cashier to call for authorization which in 99% of the case it is because your bank does not let the transaction going thru before verifying you being the owner of the card and the one buying the stuff.

US Bank must have updated its fraud alert software which seems to kick in overdrive and causes a lot of such incidents for a lot of people even on very "seasoned" cards with XX,XXX CLs.

Oops, Cashier had to talk to the manager who in turn had to call CVS headquarter. Headquarter then called U.S. Bank for authorization.

I made 2 transactions, both at $503.95. One with the Club Carlson Biz card which needed additional authorization whereas with my U.S. airways, I didn't have the same problem.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vagrants
There are use for split. Some splits I view as art of MS rather than just buying VRs with single payment method.
If you want to create a variance of amount, throw in some items CVS actually sells for LESS. That is what I normally do, a can of tuna here, a bag of Almond there. This week if you need milk, it is $2.99 a gallon at CVS versus $4+ in our local grocery store for the same brand...
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
Oops, Cashier had to talk to the manager who in turn had to call CVS headquarter. Headquarter then called U.S. Bank for authorization.

I made 2 transactions, both at $503.95. One with the Club Carlson Biz card which needed additional authorization whereas with my U.S. airways, I didn't have the same problem.
Meaning US bank requires the merchant to call for authorization.

Barclays could not care less for the transaction.

They are 2 different banks with 2 proprietary risk assessment systems.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
a Shocker!

Last night I went into CVS and I actually bought something. It had nothing to do with mylez!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I went into a CVS last night to purchase 2 VR's. Upon seeing there were none on the rack i started to turn around, i had 3 cvs employees ask me if i need help, so i thought what the heck, and told themn i was looking for VR's, one said oh we keep those behind the counter, we cought someone taking them from the store and they gave the reason well you are often out of them and i want ot be sure i can get them. this sounds even worst than hiding them.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by particlemn
I went into a CVS last night to purchase 2 VR's. Upon seeing there were none on the rack i started to turn around, i had 3 cvs employees ask me if i need help, so i thought what the heck, and told themn i was looking for VR's, one said oh we keep those behind the counter, we cought someone taking them from the store and they gave the reason well you are often out of them and i want ot be sure i can get them. this sounds even worst than hiding them.
Same thing where I live. I finally mentioned they were never in stock and the clerk took me to the counter and showed me a stack of about a hundred.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:18 am

From the wiki at the top of the page:
And there are the stores that don't allow people to buy with CC at all.
Nope.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by particlemn
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Same thing where I live. I finally mentioned they were never in stock and the clerk took me to the counter and showed me a stack of about a hundred.
I'd also guess that someone might take them from the store to use at one which allowed CC or allowed higher CC limits than the store in question, but I agree that it's way over the line.

The store should have a sign saying they keep VR behind the counter if that's what they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.