Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:36 pm

Hey all. I posted this in the prepaid thread, but seems apt to post here too...especially with concerns over store policy and worries from regulations and such.

I just finished writing up a relatively comprehensive post on FinCEN and what it means in terms of various store policies regarding GC purchase. If you are interested, take a look at it over on FWF.

These limits shouldn't trigger CTRs although a SAR may be appropriate (read my post for explanations). Although it seems silly to offer these options and then get all suspicious about them. I don't think the CC companies are smart enough to put a snare like this up, and I don't think the government is in collusion with CVS. Of course, tens of thousands a month may very well trigger suspicion from all sides. I wouldn't be paranoid...but I would still use judgement.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Man, you can cut the paranoia with a knife around here.
Only thing I'll be cutting with a knife anytime soon is my chilean bass on my upcoming SQ flight, TYVM .
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:57 pm

I mean, I think getting your MR, UR or TYP points stripped and/or having your cards shut down before you can meet the minimum spend bonus is worth at least being a LITTLE paranoid about in the back of your head...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:40 pm

Agreed.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:02 am

I go to my local charlie vic sierra to buy 4 VRs at a time. When I do, I buy 2 on 1 CC and 2 on another.

Yesterday:
Bought 4 $500 beans (2 $1K transactions on different CCs). They scanned my DL.

Today:
Bought $500 and $498.50 on 1 CC; did the same on another. No DL scan.

Lesson - appears I need to keep the total VR load per transaction less than $1K to avoid DL scan.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:19 am

bought 2VRsX2 different credit cards, 2 trips, same store in ATL
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
And remarkably so, given that all indications point to the willingness of CVS to continue to sell these items by credit card. In other words, this isn't the HIGC deal. By the way, notice how quickly that got shut down? Buying these cards at a 5X bonus at office supply stores? Although more slowly down, almost the same thing.

That hasn't happened here despite the evidence that quick shutdowns occur when things don't go the way companies intend. Then, why the paranoia? Well, if you've concocted schemes to buy more than $5K per month similar to those used in certain cities to insure that everyone, including the deceased, exercises their right to vote (or in this case, gets to fly internationally in a lie-flat seat), then you get a little worried when the spotlight starts shining near you.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by CrediPig
I go to my local charlie vic sierra to buy 4 VRs at a time. When I do, I buy 2 on 1 CC and 2 on another.

Yesterday:
Bought 4 $500 beans (2 $1K transactions on different CCs). They scanned my DL.

Today:
Bought $500 and $498.50 on 1 CC; did the same on another. No DL scan.

Lesson - appears I need to keep the total VR load per transaction less than $1K to avoid DL scan.
I'm not sure about this...
I thinik when the 2nd VR card was scanned (before the amount was entered) the registered promoted for a DL scan.
I'll try again today...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
I'm not sure about this...
I thinik when the 2nd VR card was scanned (before the amount was entered) the registered promoted for a DL scan.
I'll try again today...
You are correct (in my experience). Demand for DL scan was with scan of second VR. Maybe try loading FIRST VR with $498 and see what happens?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:13 am

Is it all possible CVS saw what we are doing, churners specifically, and decided they are OK with it? Then developed a policy to reign in excessive abuse (more than 5k a day) and also institute security measures (DL scans) to cover their butts on any legal/tax fronts. Is that possible? Otherwise this does feel like a sting operation. Are those the only two possibilities?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:33 am

I think if they wanted to shut it down they would, they are OK with us, this is just a security measure to ensure people are not buying with stolen credit cards.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I'm buying 1k a transaction with 2 cards. I'm happy to cut down trips.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:53 am

Thank god I saved my fake ID from my college days.
Let's see them try to track down Carlos Danger.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
Is it all possible CVS saw what we are doing, churners specifically, and decided they are OK with it? Then developed a policy to reign in excessive abuse (more than 5k a day) and also institute security measures (DL scans) to cover their butts on any legal/tax fronts. Is that possible? Otherwise this does feel like a sting operation. Are those the only two possibilities?
It has been fairly well established the CVS store is losing money on each VR CC transaction. Store managers have complained to people about P&L reports, etc. A sensible business decision would be to scan DL to mitigate risk but keep limit to $1k/day, as any legit prepaid user would not need more than that. But why would corporate sanction an increase to $5k/day, only multiplying store losses for the benefit of churners?) I am going to stay a bit paranoid until someone can explain the business case behind it...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
It has been fairly well established the CVS store is losing money on each VR CC transaction. Store managers have complained to people about P&L reports, etc. A sensible business decision would be to scan DL to mitigate risk but keep limit to $1k/day, as any legit prepaid user would not need more than that. But why would corporate sanction an increase to $5k/day, only multiplying store losses for the benefit of churners?) I am going to stay a bit paranoid until someone can explain the business case behind it...
"fairly well established" by whom? us clowns on here? you've got to be kidding me. if they are losing money, it seems highly unlikely that they would increase the limit. if someone is punching you and it hurts, you don't ask them to do it more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.