Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by jacisme
I also don't like paying my amex with bluebird. I did it a few times with no issues, but I prefer to stick to paying the chase, citi, barclays, etc cards and/or rent with bluebird. If Amex really wanted to, they could track who is buying reload cards on their amex just to pay amex back via bluebird. Both systems are theirs. I know it's a very small chance they are actually doing this, but it would make sense for them to do so, so I'm just avoiding it most of the time.
+1. Good approach IMHO.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by goober153
Odd data point, most likely an outlier. Recently moved to eastern socal, went to a local cvs yesterday and bought 2x500 and had to ID swipe, everything went through fine. Today I returned to same store, cashier asked for ID and credit card, called the manager and said it was an out of state ID, and they decided not to sell to me.

Cashier said it was due to the fact that the Credit card did not have a "film" that lit up underneath black light, I thought she meant ID but i've had mine looked at under black light at Bars before. She wouldn't take any other of my credit cards either, sounds like an excuse just because ID was out of state.

Had to drive another 20 min to a diff cvs. I know i'll just return to wait for the cashier that gave it to me no problem, but its still frustrating.

Both places only allowed 1k even though they scanned my ID

Some stores staff are complete donkey butts.
Nothing you can do about it but come back later when other people are working. Sometimes its a combination of certain employees that can spark the insanity. There is this guy who works at a late night CVS who has sold to me oodles of times before. Because one shift manager was working he flip the script and started acting like the GC rack was cash only. I looked at him like he had 3 heads or something. Shift manager came by and started saying oh we've never sold them with CC. I reminded this shift manager that he himself has sold them to me with CC many times as well. We went to the back and pretended to consult someone and when he returned he allowed the sale. When I see either one of them alone I have no issues. When they are together the act like the dynamic cash-only duo. Sad really... All that energy could be better applied to better themselves so they wouldn't have to stand behind the counter.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Some stores staff are complete donkey butts...
+1. The bizarre excuses, rationales, and paranoia we encounter never ceases to amaze me.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:20 pm

Kybosh's post bring up an interesting question - do you guys think CVS employees are buying tons of cards? They obviously know what is going on and they have the power to circumvent the system.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Kybosh's post bring up an interesting question - do you guys think CVS employees are buying tons of cards? They obviously know what is going on and they have the power to circumvent the system.
Most employees are clueless of MR..and every time I try to buy a VR, I get questioned(by employees that know me well by now) as to why I want to spend $4 in fees to pay bills when I can simply write a check?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Nope, at least not regular cashiers.

A CVS pharmacist in NYC got fired for ringing up thousands of dollars worth of VRs one night for himself @:-)
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by greendx
A CVS pharmacist in NYC got fired for ringing up thousands of dollars worth of VRs one night for himself @:-)
Really??? Thats awesome!
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by craz
I would never purchase.load and pay the CC all in the same day, unless I wanted a fast exit out of the game
Meh. That is my MO and it works fine. Mumbo jumbo about keeping money in the account or doing the odd "real" transaction has not shown to keep any of the prepaid gigs going any longer (see Netspend, Accountnow, MVD etc)

Last edited by MileageAddict; Aug 17, 2013 at 11:10 am Reason: thread clean up - response to disparaging comment
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:56 pm

The ones rolling in it are the supervisors at Bluebird who can bypass the $5000 monthly load limit
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:27 pm

Agreed. I think some of the posts above mine are very disrespectful towards CVS employees.

I don't disagree that some employees can be a pain with the questioning (been there) or the rules they seemingly made up on the fly. But ...

The way some people are spending (thousands in one transaction) can and does look suspicious to any outsider (IRS or even any regular person not familiar with BB). The average person has no need/use for BB.

Those folks are just doing a job and it's not the most well paid job or even gratifying job at that. Most of them are doing their job the best they can to make an honest's day pay, and that's a commendable trait. Not everyone is privileged enough to get to travel or can spend lots of time looking for 'deals' when they are possibly working multiple jobs to put food on the table for themselves and their families.

It's common respect and the disdain some of you have for those working at CVS are frankly, IMHO, quite appalling.

/rant
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:31 am

My CVS has plenty of VRs, but has started asking for my ID for any VR purchase. Do we know what they are scanning for? As long as they scan should i just buy the maximum or stick to the $500 and $1000 i normally buy?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you're buying beans then turning around and paying them off 48hrs later I feel you are doing it wrong, IMO. Buy then deposit into BB then transfer into personal savings account and collect interest until bill is due. It is not much but a few extra dollars a month are always welcomed. In addition buying then paying off right away might attract too much attention.

Originally Posted by cashback
You're not floating thousands of dollars a month. You dont have to tie up any of your own money when you buy VR's. Just because they work at CVS, doesn't mean they are stupid. They would probably enjoy the additional income.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by kenme1
If you're buying beans then turning around and paying them off 48hrs later I feel you are doing it wrong, IMO. Buy then deposit into BB then transfer into personal savings account and collect interest until bill is due. It is not much but a few extra dollars a month are always welcomed. In addition buying then paying off right away might attract too much attention.
Thats fine if you do it that way. Youre still not floating thousands of dollars. None of your cash is tied up.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:15 am

I thought of doing that but feel that transferring all 5K out of BB to bank account would be more likely to get BB noticing then just using it to pay bills. I do earn 1% on my checking account but think transferring all the money out is a lot of effort for just $4 a month interest on the $5K. Plus I like to get my cards paid off before the statements close to prevent a balance reporting on so many cards.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:43 am

Parking $$$ in an account until the bill is due is not the best way to churn if you have the ability to REALLY churn. If you only have a BB and your bandwidth is only 5-10k a month then I guess you have no choice.

But if you can make MOs and do Bill Pay then its a waste to have money sitting in your bank. Pay that bill off and churn again as often as possible. Depending on your bandwidth you should be able to churn your CLs at least 2-3 times if you are so inclined. Of course its all about your bandwidth (i.e. ability to churn large sums of money through various means) and your comfort level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.